Tom Osborne has spoken to me

The essence of your letter, and certainly that of the responses provided by Dr. Tom and Trev Alberts is something I learned simply by marrying the right woman. I'm from Virginia - born and raised - but when I met and eventually married a Nebraska girl, I was exposed to the "Nebraska way." At first, I had no idea what that meant, but when she and I met, the Huskers were in the midst of owning college football in the 1990s. Now, with absolute certainty, I know what the "Nebraska Way" is and even tout it to my friends here in Kentucky. To me, the Nebraska Way is first determining that you absolutely will not be beat, then putting your head down and going forward, and stopping at nothing short of total success. If that effort requires sacrifice, so be it. If the end goal means sharing in the trials and tribulations of others, then Nebraskans will lend a hand. And when the realization finally sets in that the program, the idea, and the very essence of Nebraska football is so very important to so many people of the Cornhusker State, then count Nebraskans in as a very determined bunch focused on success through hard work, through teamwork, and through believing that success will come and will not be denied. As a high school football coach, those were the basic principles I attempted to instill in my players. As for the University of Nebraska, somewhere along the way, those principles were either lost or given such a low value that the concept of team, as well as the importance of striving for what was valued by the people of an entire STATE was lost. I watched in complete awe during the 1990s as Nebraska did what Dr. Tom described when he stated that the Huskers often left people hurting for weeks after a Saturday game. With the hiring of Peterson, which is where I believe Nebraska began it's fall from grace as a perennial power in college football, to the even more disastrous hiring of Bill Callahan, the "Nebraska Way" dimisnished. The people of the state were left to ask "What happened?" but neither Callahan nor Peterson were willing or able to answer the question or provide a solution to a situation that progressively worsened. But by the grace of God, and perhaps ONLY by the grace of God and the wisdom of Tom Osborne did the Nebraska Way not disappear. I believe in Bo Pellini and I believe in Nebraska football. I've attended two of Nebraska's bowl games (Independence Bowl and Alamo Bowl) as well as numerous games at Memorial Stadium and have stood witness to the amazing atmosphere that is generated by Husker fans and players. I may be an outsider looking in, but I'm glad to be a part of it all. Those are my thoughts.

The essence of your letter, and certainly that of the responses provided by Dr. Tom and Trev Alberts is something I learned simply by marrying the right woman. I'm from Virginia - born and raised - but when I met and eventually married a Nebraska girl, I was exposed to the "Nebraska way." At first, I had no idea what that meant, but when she and I met, the Huskers were in the midst of owning college football in the 1990s. Now, with absolute certainty, I know what the "Nebraska Way" is and even tout it to my friends here in Kentucky. To me, the Nebraska Way is first determining that you absolutely will not be beat, then putting your head down and going forward, and stopping at nothing short of total success. If that effort requires sacrifice, so be it. If the end goal means sharing in the trials and tribulations of others, then Nebraskans will lend a hand. And when the realization finally sets in that the program, the idea, and the very essence of Nebraska football is so very important to so many people of the Cornhusker State, then count Nebraskans in as a very determined bunch focused on success through hard work, through teamwork, and through believing that success will come and will not be denied. As a high school football coach, those were the basic principles I attempted to instill in my players. As for the University of Nebraska, somewhere along the way, those principles were either lost or given such a low value that the concept of team, as well as the importance of striving for what was valued by the people of an entire STATE was lost. I watched in complete awe during the 1990s as Nebraska did what Dr. Tom described when he stated that the Huskers often left people hurting for weeks after a Saturday game. With the hiring of Peterson, which is where I believe Nebraska began it's fall from grace as a perennial power in college football, to the even more disastrous hiring of Bill Callahan, the "Nebraska Way" dimisnished. The people of the state were left to ask "What happened?" but neither Callahan nor Peterson were willing or able to answer the question or provide a solution to a situation that progressively worsened. But by the grace of God, and perhaps ONLY by the grace of God and the wisdom of Tom Osborne did the Nebraska Way not disappear. I believe in Bo Pellini and I believe in Nebraska football. I've attended two of Nebraska's bowl games (Independence Bowl and Alamo Bowl) as well as numerous games at Memorial Stadium and have stood witness to the amazing atmosphere that is generated by Husker fans and players. I may be an outsider looking in, but I'm glad to be a part of it all. Those are my thoughts.

:yeah This reminds me of the attitude that our QB's over the years have taken and the effort that they have put forth more than anything. We have had some really great QB's that sacrificed their bodies to win, and in doing so have inspired the rest of the team. I think we have at least 3 QB's now that have this attitude and will to win. I think once again we will show the rest of the Big 12 what the Nebraska way is all about...there is no doubt in my mind about that.

A lot of programs would give up when they have had years like the last four, and would never recover. That is not what Nebraska is about. We, as fans, have a lot to say about that, too.

All I have to say is "Go Big Red!!"

I am a lurker on this board not that i dont have my opinions about certain issues and discussions, but i really just like to keep my finger on the pulse of Husker nation. When i read this Q&A i literally got shivers from it. Wins or loses our love for Husker football and all its traditions goes beyond both. Having men like Tom and Bo at the helm again gives me a since of security that no matter victory or loss the program stays the ever-present course to bettering young men on the field and conveying the ethics of this great state. What a wonderful post had to comment. BRC

Great post! :thumbs

And Landlord,

That's awesome!! Next time you talk to Tom, can you tell him I haven't gotten my season tickets yet??? :hmmph