Receivers focusing on run blocking

When Nebraska junior wide receiver Menelik Holt steps on the practice field each day, running correct routes and catching footballs aren’t foremost on his mind.

“I think about blocking assignments, and how I can affect the run game,” Holt said, “because that’s really important.”

Never mind that Holt has only four career receptions and isn’t as experienced at route-running as Nate Swift or Todd Peterson.

“It’s been stressed like you wouldn’t believe,” Nebraska receivers coach Ted Gilmore said. “Every drill we’ve done in individual, all but maybe two periods has been on blocking.”

It’s one of the reasons Holt has emerged as Nebraska’s No. 3 receiver behind seniors Swift and Peterson.

“That’s my biggest jump,” Holt said. “I was able to catch, but last year in the run game, I couldn’t block very well. It’s something I really didn’t understand.”

Blocking in high school was easy for the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Holt. Tossing aside 5-8 defensive backs wasn’t that complicated.

“But here, guys are strong,” Holt said. “Like Prince (Amukamara) and Larry Asante, guys aren’t going to let you lean on them and throw them around. Now it’s about technique and body position and being under control. That’s something I’m learning every day.”

Holt realizes he’s big, and must play big. Sort of like former Husker Maurice Purify did the last two seasons.

“I can’t go out there and let guys throw me around when I’m blocking,” Holt said. “I’ve got to play a dominant role in the run game.

“(If) we play a dominant role in the run game, a lot of guys sometimes don’t want to guard you in the pass game. I’m trying to get guys on their heels, get guys on their back as much as I can.”

Swift said the emphasis in fall camp has been on being physical on the perimeter and being able to block inside and out. Wide receivers, for example, will be responsible for blocking a linebacker on the option and zone-read plays coaches are installing.

“It’s going to be a big part of the game,” Swift said. “Coach Gilmore sees that, and he’s working really hard with us on that.”

Gilmore stressed to his receivers that it’s their responsibility to free running backs on the perimeter for those 20-yard gains, or longer.

“It’s up to us to get him past that second level,” Swift said. “There’ve been a lot of plays (in past years) where we either miss the guy or couldn’t get to him in time or read it wrong, where we could’ve set him free for a touchdown.”

Gilmore said he’s seeing progress, citing “tremendous” effort and very physical play in fall camp.

The biggest area of improvement, he said, is for players to understand plays and the tempo of the plays, making sure they take the proper reads.

“I do believe when it’s all said and done,” he said, “every guy who’s in that rotation is going to be a lot more physical player.”

Nebraska assistant coach Ron Brown, who coached receivers and emphasized blocking in his first stint at Nebraska, is coaching tight ends in his first year back with the Huskers. Not surprisingly, blocking has been a major part of Brown’s practice drills.

“I think we’ve made some real progress from the spring,” Brown said. “It’s starting to get into the bloodstream, and that’s where you can really start to see consistency.

“We’ve still got a ways to come, but man, I’m telling you, our pad level now is lower than it’s ever been, and our leg drive and our ability to finish — there’s a nastier mentality. You’ve got to have a very aggressive, intense demeanor as you’re blocking. You’ve got to want to finish somebody off.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

When Nebraska junior wide receiver Menelik Holt steps on the practice field each day, running correct routes and catching footballs aren’t foremost on his mind.

“I think about blocking assignments, and how I can affect the run game,” Holt said, “because that’s really important.”

Never mind that Holt has only four career receptions and isn’t as experienced at route-running as Nate Swift or Todd Peterson.

“It’s been stressed like you wouldn’t believe,” Nebraska receivers coach Ted Gilmore said. “Every drill we’ve done in individual, all but maybe two periods has been on blocking.”

It’s one of the reasons Holt has emerged as Nebraska’s No. 3 receiver behind seniors Swift and Peterson.

“That’s my biggest jump,” Holt said. “I was able to catch, but last year in the run game, I couldn’t block very well. It’s something I really didn’t understand.”

Blocking in high school was easy for the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Holt. Tossing aside 5-8 defensive backs wasn’t that complicated.

“But here, guys are strong,” Holt said. “Like Prince (Amukamara) and Larry Asante, guys aren’t going to let you lean on them and throw them around. Now it’s about technique and body position and being under control. That’s something I’m learning every day.”

Holt realizes he’s big, and must play big. Sort of like former Husker Maurice Purify did the last two seasons.

“I can’t go out there and let guys throw me around when I’m blocking,” Holt said. “I’ve got to play a dominant role in the run game.

“(If) we play a dominant role in the run game, a lot of guys sometimes don’t want to guard you in the pass game. I’m trying to get guys on their heels, get guys on their back as much as I can.”

Swift said the emphasis in fall camp has been on being physical on the perimeter and being able to block inside and out. Wide receivers, for example, will be responsible for blocking a linebacker on the option and zone-read plays coaches are installing.

“It’s going to be a big part of the game,” Swift said. “Coach Gilmore sees that, and he’s working really hard with us on that.”

Gilmore stressed to his receivers that it’s their responsibility to free running backs on the perimeter for those 20-yard gains, or longer.

“It’s up to us to get him past that second level,” Swift said. “There’ve been a lot of plays (in past years) where we either miss the guy or couldn’t get to him in time or read it wrong, where we could’ve set him free for a touchdown.”

Gilmore said he’s seeing progress, citing “tremendous” effort and very physical play in fall camp.

The biggest area of improvement, he said, is for players to understand plays and the tempo of the plays, making sure they take the proper reads.

“I do believe when it’s all said and done,” he said, “every guy who’s in that rotation is going to be a lot more physical player.”

Nebraska assistant coach Ron Brown, who coached receivers and emphasized blocking in his first stint at Nebraska, is coaching tight ends in his first year back with the Huskers. Not surprisingly, blocking has been a major part of Brown’s practice drills.

“I think we’ve made some real progress from the spring,” Brown said. “It’s starting to get into the bloodstream, and that’s where you can really start to see consistency.

“We’ve still got a ways to come, but man, I’m telling you, our pad level now is lower than it’s ever been, and our leg drive and our ability to finish — [b]there’s a nastier mentality. You’ve got to have a very aggressive, intense demeanor as you’re blocking. You’ve got to want to finish somebody off.”

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.

About damn time.

A reciever can't make a catch unless he gets some distance on the coverage, not to mention ganz will be throwing INT's left and right if his WR's are continually under coverage and can't distance themselves from defenders. WR's at D1 schools as a general rule can catch, it is their speed / blocking / ups that can really make the difference.

I like hearing that they are going to make run blocking a priority for the receivers...maybe now we can get the run game back on track. We have good backs, probably better backs by far than we do receivers. We also have a good offensive line...it is time to get more balance and get the run going again. This is good to hear!!

Ron Brown's Recieving Catagories

Stones (taking the defensive back totally out)

Blazers (clearing a path for the runner)

Extra Effort (tripping up a defender away from the ball)

Knockdowns

Point of Attack blocks

Brown kept individual tallies; the receivers competed in each category

"We lose guys in recruiting every year because of it. Most of them are the best receivers in the country, pretty boys who say they'll maybe screen for the backs but they aren't getting dirty. The ones who come here get a linebacker mentality."

I hope Gilmore lives up to Brown's legacy

"My favorite is a `stone,'" split end Brendan Holbein says. "The best is if you can lay a crack-back block on a guy and he's not looking. Sometimes a cornerback or safety will see a little speck of red out of the corner of his eye and prepare for it.

"But when the guy isn't looking and you blow him up, it just feels good."

I also hope we have some receivers with this kind of mentality.

Nebraska Tradition...Blowing Up Little DB's For Over 100 Years :koolaid2:

Ron Brown's Recieving Catagories

Stones (taking the defensive back totally out)

Blazers (clearing a path for the runner)

Extra Effort (tripping up a defender away from the ball)

Knockdowns

Point of Attack blocks

Brown kept individual tallies; the receivers competed in each category

"We lose guys in recruiting every year because of it. Most of them are the best receivers in the country, pretty boys who say they'll maybe screen for the backs but they aren't getting dirty. The ones who come here get a linebacker mentality."

I hope Gilmore lives up to Brown's legacy

"My favorite is a `stone,'" split end Brendan Holbein says. "The best is if you can lay a crack-back block on a guy and he's not looking. Sometimes a cornerback or safety will see a little speck of red out of the corner of his eye and prepare for it.

"But when the guy isn't looking and you blow him up, it just feels good."

I also hope we have some receivers with this kind of mentality.

Nebraska Tradition...Blowing Up Little DB's For Over 100 Years :koolaid2:

Yeah Baby!! Been a while since we have had a receiver with this kind of mentality. It is about time. I want to see our receivers pounding on those DB's every chance they get. Why not give them back some of what they like to dish out? We have had too many receivers in the past few years that were willing to be hit, but didn't know how to dish it back. Let's kick some butts....I wouldn't be opposed to a receiver getting a blackshirt if he consistently blows up opposing players. But it would have to happen all the time, not just once. I want some video showing one after another hit...be able to show it to someone and let them think it was our defense, then tell them, no - that is our receivers!! That would be too cool.

I still hear that "all the husker WR in the past only had to run block." :bs: ONLY block? They SHOULD be blocking any time their not catching, right?

This is the Nebraska philosophy we've been missing!!!

Man, I may go reread my signed copy of UNFINISHED BUISNESS. Glad to have you back Mr. Brown!

All of this talk that the recievers are going to be physical and are focusing mainly on run blocking is great. But I hope this does not mean that they are neglecting the pass game. That would be a waste of a lot of WR talent on this team.

What, the WR talent ranked at #11 in the B12? Where is this talent you refer to?

Now, I doubt that our receivers are #11 of 12 --- but no better than # 8 or #9 could possibly be warranted. The problem with the NU receivers is general lack of speed and play-making ability. The WR's and the TE's at NU are not a strength for this team. There may be hope with guys like Gillian and Holt and Paul --- but I'd have expected these guys to have already won starting or co-starting positions over guys like Swift and Peterson if they were at all that talented. Maybe they will in due course --- but, as it stands with what is returning, the receivers and TE's are a weakness for the team rather than a strength.