THE AMAZING KRESKIN AND I AGREE

OLDMAN

That the D-line will collapse again because of injuries and a losing mentality from last year.

And it won't improve until they graduate and are purged from the system.

Then a "New" crop will be recruited with the proper attitude.

So..

You're saying Ty Steinkuhler (Sr.) would have a much worse attitude than his little brother, Baker?

I think you're severely underestimating the effect of not believing in your coaches' schemes has to do with your attitude and performance..That's why Bo is stressing having the players "Buy In" to the new coaches and philosophies.

Subtle differences like having the DL line up in the gaps as opposed to head on could be huge.

Seems to me that some of the line guys are playing pu&&y to be getting out of the practices.

That shows me that they are not tough enough and will fold just like last year.

That and the lack of substitutes again shows our glaring weakness as the season goes on.

Its kind of like a beaten fighter and his self doubt whether he can win again.

The Line backers will also show a weakness as teams will run right thru us.

HOLD THE PRESS The season will need to be canceled because we have no chance to improve on last year. The doom and gloom has spoken

Seems to me that some of the line guys are playing pu&&y to be getting out of the practices.

That and the lack of substitutes again shows our glaring weakness as the season goes on.

Yeah, injuries tend to happen when practicing full contact. Man, why would a coach want to put his players through all of that? Full contact, physical practices. That's hilarious.

Sincerely,

Bill Callahan

Yeah, injuries tend to happen when practicing full contact. Man, why would a coach want to put his players through all of that? Full contact, physical practices. That's hilarious.

Sincerely,

Bill Callahan

:yeah I don't know why we just don't give them flags and play flag football. It is much nicer to see everyone getting along and not hitting each other. :sarcasm

I think the "Old Mans" glass is bottomless. It's never half full or half empty. Usually the negativity just oozes

off this guy. Some will say that he is a realist, but I dont know, I wonder if he has ever even suited up. I

guess we're all entitled to our own opinions but geesh lets get a few games under our belts with the new staff

and then see. :restore

just a little devils advocate... but are you implying that there was no effort when you played USC or Missouri? It seems to me everyone is on this little 'effort' kick alittle too much.

I agree that at the end of the season is one thing. But the 10 yrd wide holes when you were still a top 25 team and before the season hit the skids in another. This team last year played hard for a while before they laid down to die and if my memory serves me correctly they were not the steel curtain when they were playing hard. It will take some time, an number of football players (notice, no mention of stars or top recruits) and coaching to correct the issues that are there.

Question is how did 2006 defense that held Missouri to 20 points and shutout Troy turn into a D that could not stop anyone? Obviously those are different guys, but it was the same coaching staff. How do they go from dominating Missouri (27-6 halftime) to being a High School D?

Question is how did 2006 defense that held Missouri to 20 points and shutout Troy turn into a D that could not stop anyone? Obviously those are different guys, but it was the same coaching staff. How do they go from dominating Missouri (27-6 halftime) to being a High School D?

Whenever one person on the DL gets so much attention that he gets double and sometimes even triple teamed, well, that just leaves a whole lot of other defenders free...

ohio pete, Having two DE's go in the draft, 1st rd and 4th rd. have something to do with that. A d-line that demands double teams and dominant players can create havic. There was no such player last year and unless someone really steps up there will not be one this year either

I think more than effort it had to do with scheme and attitude. I think our defense last year did not have our guys in position to make plays, AND it had them back on their heals to much and thinking to much. it also didnt help that the kids were NOT hitting in practice, and they were all grossly out of shape and overweight. some might pass those things off as small insignifigant things, but anyone who plays spots knows better. we dont need guys that will dominate right now.... we just need to be able to compete. to be semi respectable. you can do that with sud par athletes(which I refuse to believe we have...I'm just saying) if we can do that on D and keep reasonably healthy on O we will be a dangerous team that should win more games then we lose, and should be esp tough at home.

Melscott, although these are good points. scheme can help where there is a lack of talent, or just hide weaknesses. very true. Dumbing things down can help also, but then you are running the same D's all the time. it also limits that creative blitzing bo is known for. Conditioning does play a roll. but mostly at the end of games. not the first series. I think robsker made some great points to show the other side of your statement as well.

Lack of physical strength was an issue as well. I was simply amazed how Suh, regarded generally as our strongest guy, was thrown around like a rag doll last season (as was the entire interior). I mean he was owned play after play. They were just blown off the line of scrimmage and driven almost instantly back several yards as backs flashed through holes that were almost ever present. Why? I still don't know --- could our guys have been that physically over matched last year? It was clear that the DL and the OL guys at NU were fat and few appeared to have, as the say, "guns." It was just as if a bunch of overweight soft billowy guys were in the trenches for NU last year. I hope that it will be different this year.

robsker, very true. I think that most people who have played football would say that talent and strength are the two biggest factors to a players success. Does effort and heart matter yeah. But lets put it this way.

player a - has the talent to compete with the man across from him, has the strength also. But maybe he doesnt have the heart of the walk on

player b - not as talented as those he is playing, not as strong either. heart of a lion.

Who do you want? The all-american/all conference guy that maybe could be better if he only tried harder. Or do you want Rudy Ruettiger? He may never play, but he has all the heart and effort you could ever want.

The deal is this. Alot of things go into a horrible performance like the Husker D-line gave last year. And no one or two things are going to fix that. Lossing weight has good and bad factors. Schemes help, actualy tacking in practice and games is a bonus. I guess all i am saying is give it time. Let the kids grow and the program changes develop. I believe NU's D will be better. I think BO will do alot to hide the flaws of this team. But dont expect this magical light to come on. As robsker said, these were the same players being blown off the line last year and they are lighter and easier to move this year.

ohio pete, Having two DE's go in the draft, 1st rd and 4th rd. have something to do with that. A d-line that demands double teams and dominant players can create havic. There was no such player last year and unless someone really steps up there will not be one this year either

I think more than effort it had to do with scheme and attitude. I think our defense last year did not have our guys in position to make plays, AND it had them back on their heals to much and thinking to much. it also didnt help that the kids were NOT hitting in practice, and they were all grossly out of shape and overweight. some might pass those things off as small insignifigant things, but anyone who plays spots knows better. we dont need guys that will dominate right now.... we just need to be able to compete. to be semi respectable. you can do that with sud par athletes(which I refuse to believe we have...I'm just saying) if we can do that on D and keep reasonably healthy on O we will be a dangerous team that should win more games then we lose, and should be esp tough at home.

Doom and gloom to all you high school rah rah types.

I read all the press in the paper and there is alot of concern in Bo's eyes.

But keep it positive!

Until we get some mean big boys up front I'm afraid there will again be a collapse.

They might even look like the three stooges slapping each other when the other team busts another LONG one right up the middle.

Melscott, although these are good points. scheme can help where there is a lack of talent, or just hide weaknesses. very true. Dumbing things down can help also, but then you are running the same D's all the time. it also limits that creative blitzing bo is known for. Conditioning does play a roll. but mostly at the end of games. not the first series. I think robsker made some great points to show the other side of your statement as well.

Lack of physical strength was an issue as well. I was simply amazed how Suh, regarded generally as our strongest guy, was thrown around like a rag doll last season (as was the entire interior). I mean he was owned play after play. They were just blown off the line of scrimmage and driven almost instantly back several yards as backs flashed through holes that were almost ever present. Why? I still don't know --- could our guys have been that physically over matched last year? It was clear that the DL and the OL guys at NU were fat and few appeared to have, as the say, "guns." It was just as if a bunch of overweight soft billowy guys were in the trenches for NU last year. I hope that it will be different this year.

robsker, very true. I think that most people who have played football would say that talent and strength are the two biggest factors to a players success. Does effort and heart matter yeah. But lets put it this way.

player a - has the talent to compete with the man across from him, has the strength also. But maybe he doesnt have the heart of the walk on

player b - not as talented as those he is playing, not as strong either. heart of a lion.

Who do you want? The all-american/all conference guy that maybe could be better if he only tried harder. Or do you want Rudy Ruettiger? He may never play, but he has all the heart and effort you could ever want.

The deal is this. Alot of things go into a horrible performance like the Husker D-line gave last year. And no one or two things are going to fix that. Lossing weight has good and bad factors. Schemes help, actualy tacking in practice and games is a bonus. I guess all i am saying is give it time. Let the kids grow and the program changes develop. I believe NU's D will be better. I think BO will do alot to hide the flaws of this team. But dont expect this magical light to come on. As robsker said, these were the same players being blown off the line last year and they are lighter and easier to move this year.