THE AMAZING KRESKIN AND I AGREE

OLDMAN

I don't agree. Our D-line has alot to prove and Pelini won't stand for players not giving their all. They got pushed around and beat down last season, this year it's their turn to do the pushing around. With some of the blitzing and stunting we will be doing on D, our lineman will have more opportunities to get into the backfield. I see the D-line being much better this year.

i don't know about that......if nothing else, the freshman and sophomores will be allowed to play and learn, before the established guys lay down......injuries are one thing, lack of effort is entirely another.

just a little devils advocate... but are you implying that there was no effort when you played USC or Missouri? It seems to me everyone is on this little 'effort' kick alittle too much.

I agree that at the end of the season is one thing. But the 10 yrd wide holes when you were still a top 25 team and before the season hit the skids in another. This team last year played hard for a while before they laid down to die and if my memory serves me correctly they were not the steel curtain when they were playing hard. It will take some time, an number of football players (notice, no mention of stars or top recruits) and coaching to correct the issues that are there.

BTW - the whole recruiting rankings and all that BS that goes with it. Stars are bases more off who pays to get the subscruitions to what mags, who you verbal too and who the "hot" prospect is more than anything. There is no exact science and more often than not they miss on how good a player should be. There is a player who gave a verbal to MU that scout has as their #22 player in the country. ESPN does not even have him in thier 150. that tells you all you need to know about stars and rankings. FIND FOOTBALL PLAYERS. :rant

Lack of fundamentals was the biggest (not the only one, though) problem on the D last season and is what I think lead to the collapse and extreme attitude problems. They had issues tackling, didn't seem to know where they needed to be, what they needed to do, etc. That is something they'll have mostly corrected, and since they'll be removing the root issue, the rest will follow along decently.

Please note, I'm not saying they'll be superb or anything near it. However they'll be better than last season and won't be collapsing at nearly every turn.

That the D-line will collapse again because of injuries and a losing mentality from last year.

And it won't improve until they graduate and are purged from the system.

Then a "New" crop will be recruited with the proper attitude.

Please. If "proper attitude" is all that's needed, then the old guard (starting with Barry Turner) have already got it.

What does this mean? There's a lot more to it than just attitude, but that's a good start. We'll see how it goes this season, but there's tremendous buy-in into the new system on the part of all the players. Don't expect dramatic changes for the better when the old staff's recruits graduate - or as you say, are "purged."

No matter how you picture a football team having success, you need to look no further than the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. If your hogs do not win those battles, then it puts pressure on the rest of the team. Right now I would say there is not enough depth ready on the d-side of the line. There is time though. Four games before conference play to get these dudes ready. Conference play is all that matters this year. That's the way I see this group transforming into a mentally tough, physical team and laying down the building blocks for the future. 4 games of growing pains to get there.

D-line: penetration, stop the run, pressure the QB. Be a hog dawg.

i don't know about that......if nothing else, the freshman and sophomores will be allowed to play and learn, before the established guys lay down......injuries are one thing, lack of effort is entirely another.

just a little devils advocate... but are you implying that there was no effort when you played USC or Missouri? It seems to me everyone is on this little 'effort' kick alittle too much.

I agree that at the end of the season is one thing. But the 10 yrd wide holes when you were still a top 25 team and before the season hit the skids in another. This team last year played hard for a while before they laid down to die and if my memory serves me correctly they were not the steel curtain when they were playing hard. It will take some time, an number of football players (notice, no mention of stars or top recruits) and coaching to correct the issues that are there.

BTW - the whole recruiting rankings and all that BS that goes with it. Stars are bases more off who pays to get the subscruitions to what mags, who you verbal too and who the "hot" prospect is more than anything. There is no exact science and more often than not they miss on how good a player should be. There is a player who gave a verbal to MU that scout has as their #22 player in the country. ESPN does not even have him in thier 150. that tells you all you need to know about stars and rankings. FIND FOOTBALL PLAYERS. :rant

I think more than effort it had to do with scheme and attitude. I think our defense last year did not have our guys in position to make plays, AND it had them back on their heals to much and thinking to much. it also didnt help that the kids were NOT hitting in practice, and they were all grossly out of shape and overweight. some might pass those things off as small insignifigant things, but anyone who plays spots knows better. we dont need guys that will dominate right now.... we just need to be able to compete. to be semi respectable. you can do that with sud par athletes(which I refuse to believe we have...I'm just saying) if we can do that on D and keep reasonably healthy on O we will be a dangerous team that should win more games then we lose, and should be esp tough at home.

That the D-line will collapse again because of injuries and a losing mentality from last year.

So..

You're saying Ty Steinkuhler (Sr.) would have a much worse attitude than his little brother, Baker?

I think you're severely underestimating the effect of not believing in your coaches' schemes has to do with your attitude and performance..That's why Bo is stressing having the players "Buy In" to the new coaches and philosophies.

Subtle differences like having the DL line up in the gaps as opposed to head on could be huge.

Man...not trying to be an ass, but you're full of doom and gloom right now. First it's Watson leaves next year for a HC job now it's the D-line will collapse.

So..

You're saying Ty Steinkuhler (Sr.) would have a much worse attitude than his little brother, Baker?

I think you're severely underestimating the effect of not believing in your coaches' schemes has to do with your attitude and performance..That's why Bo is stressing having the players "Buy In" to the new coaches and philosophies.

Subtle differences like having the DL line up in the gaps as opposed to head on could be huge.

Seems to me that some of the line guys are playing pu&&y to be getting out of the practices.

That shows me that they are not tough enough and will fold just like last year.

That and the lack of substitutes again shows our glaring weakness as the season goes on.

Its kind of like a beaten fighter and his self doubt whether he can win again.

The Line backers will also show a weakness as teams will run right thru us.

Lack of fundamentals was the biggest (not the only one, though) problem on the D last season and is what I think lead to the collapse and extreme attitude problems. They had issues tackling, didn't seem to know where they needed to be, what they needed to do, etc. That is something they'll have mostly corrected, and since they'll be removing the root issue, the rest will follow along decently.

Please note, I'm not saying they'll be superb or anything near it. However they'll be better than last season and won't be collapsing at nearly every turn.

Lack of physical strength was an issue as well. I was simply amazed how Suh, regarded generally as our strongest guy, was thrown around like a rag doll last season (as was the entire interior). I mean he was owned play after play. They were just blown off the line of scrimmage and driven almost instantly back several yards as backs flashed through holes that were almost ever present. Why? I still don't know --- could our guys have been that physically over matched last year? It was clear that the DL and the OL guys at NU were fat and few appeared to have, as the say, "guns." It was just as if a bunch of overweight soft billowy guys were in the trenches for NU last year. I hope that it will be different this year.

So..

Seems to me that some of the line guys are playing pu&&y to be getting out of the practices.

That shows me that they are not tough enough and will fold just like last year.

That and the lack of substitutes again shows our glaring weakness as the season goes on.

Its kind of like a beaten fighter and his self doubt whether he can win again.

The Line backers will also show a weakness as teams will run right thru us.

You need to be realistic. The coaches know that depth on the D-line is thin. They aren't doing anything different than any other school during fall camp. If they let these guys keep practicing and getting beaten up so much, then the players will have no chance of getting through an entire season. There's a difference between being a pu$$y and being smart with your players. These players have not been through a physical camp like this, some bumps and bruises are to be expected.

Scheme more than anything else was the problem last season. Chase Daniel said it was like playing against a highschool team because the defense was so easy to read. Bo has a proven track record. We should wait and see what he can do with these players before we start pointing out their weaknesses.