Humor Me

jjamuss

No, they will not. Same offense they ran last year. Probably more running, a few option plays, but the same for the most part in terms of formations and game plan(less plays though).

Well thank God for that... we wouldnt want to win a game now, would we? <INSERT SARCASM>

Keep in mind that if the hogs up front (O-line) are not dominating, Watson will pass.

And something I did read, a few weeks ago (?) is that we'll see the recievers spreading the field to create more space. Unlike the close bunch formations we saw a lot at times. Which I think is good (spread 'em).

The spread offense is a lot like the west coast offense, being that a lot of people throw the names around and don't really know what either one is. Under what's his face we ran a true West Coast Offense, under Watson, as he has said "Multiple" times we will be running a "Multiple" offense(much like the one he killed us with at Colorado), our base playbook is still "West Coast", we will however have some spread formations, some power running sets and option sets.

No, they will not. Same offense they ran last year. Probably more running, a few option plays, but the same for the most part in terms of formations and game plan(less plays though).

Well thank God for that... we wouldnt want to win a game now, would we? <INSERT SARCASM>

I'd look for an offense closer to 2006's offense, with a little option mixed in. That team had 4 capable backs and could run and pass pretty well. I don't understand your concern, the problem last year wasn't the offense.

I remember in a magazine somewhere they asked Osborne what his plan on Offense was going to be for an upcoming game or season. His dry reply was, "You know, run it a couple hundred times up the middle, pass a few times, the same 'ol boring stuff".

I hope to see some smashmouth football out of the Cornhuskers again this year. Domination is the name of the game.

I'd look for an offense closer to 2006's offense, with a little option mixed in. That team had 4 capable backs and could run and pass pretty well. I don't understand your concern, the problem last year wasn't the offense.

Its not concern, just curiosity with all I read about spread offense here and there. If its so good, then why havent we picked it up? thats all I was asking. :hmmph

Its not concern, just curiosity with all I read about spread offense here and there. If its so good, then why havent we picked it up? thats all I was asking. :hmmph

Going back to elementary school...........

"If all your friends jumped off a cliff would you do it do"-Mom

The spread is nothing more than a fad, defenses will adjust and eventually get so good at stopping it that there will be a new fad. It is a chess match, it's all football is, the reason our offense was so successful under Osborne was because we were the only ones able to get the athletes to run the triple option as a base offense. With the implementation of the spread widespread it would be hard to get the qb to go back to that offense although if you could recruit the right qb IMO it would still be very successful. The spread however doesn't require one type of qb, you can have a running qb or a pocket passer and change the offense yearly, which is what pinkel has been doing at Missouri. Much like us running the triple option in the 90's a good reason NOT to run the spread is because everyone else is doing it, they know how to stop it, if we run something they don't see every week it becomes harder and harder for them to stop what we are doing. I can't wait to see what our offense is this year, if it is what I've been hearing it is, it will be just amazing to watch because just when they think we are throwing a slant to the left, bam we hit them with option left, they think post routes are coming, hmm how bout a FB dive. If our offense is as "Multiple" as what the coaches say it is and want it to be, we will be very hard to stop.

It is a chess match, it's all football is, the reason our offense was so successful under Osborne was because we were the only ones able to get the athletes to run the triple option as a base offense.

You make good points.

Except we didn't run the triple option as the base offense under Osborne.

I'll add that a spread offense is predominantly a shotgun formation with a single back. The idea is to spread the defense out and attack the gaps. Either short passing, HB draw, QB draw, play action draw with a pass. It's quick tempo. High schools have adapted to it to make average players better by spreading the defense. It is also the best offensive style to turn a struggling program into a team that finally scores points. Recruiting then b/c easier b/c of so many high schools now running it, and they lure them with "we are fun, fast, exciting team".

Like someone above mentioned, it will crumble. It will also not fool a solid top 10 defense.

A spread offense wins. A great Defense wins Championships

As the spread proliferates, you'll see defenses getting small and faster. Eventually, as enough defenses "downsize", some team will come along with a power running attack and blow them away. When that happens, other teams will start to go back to power running, and eventually defenses will get bigger.

It's cyclical. Right now, the spread is the "hot" offense. Because it creates such enormous gaps in the defense, the best counter is speed. That means downsizing the defense. But a small defense is at the mercy of a power running team.