Celebration rule....

Have you seen the flags for celebration this year? A 15 yrd penalty for doing pushups on the field after you dropped a sure pick 6? How bout for a short celebration after sacking the qb they called on bowling green? Are they gonna call a 15 yrd penalty if someone throws the bones? It's surely looking like it. It's a bs rule, this is an emotional game, you can't tell 23 or younger young men to show NO EMOTION. I agree with the highstepping, holding the ball out, any kind of taunting directed directly at the other team, but a 15 yrd penalty for showing emotion is bogus.

First of all, they need to COMPLETELY eliminate the call of unsportsmanlike conduct DURING the play...

For instance, last bowl season, in the KU game. Dont remember who it was, but he got called for highstepping into the endzone.

This is complete BS, if the defense can't even come close to the player with the ball, they deserve to get taunted.

Now, on to after the play. If it is a short celebration and it does not delay the game in any way at all... then why not?

Like the flag thrown today after that sack... it was like a 1.5 second celebration, involving 1 player. There is no reason that should have been called.

They are making it seem like the game should be played with no emotion, and you can sack the QB to stop a drive late in the game and you are expected to calmly walk back to the huddle...BS

Total crap, voted on men who have either NEVER played, or played 60 years ago! This isn't Bear Bryants game anymore. These guys could be perminatly injured on any givin play. Let them enjoy the game ya damn buzzkills!

Could not agree more with your comments. Let's keep it fun for the players to score a touchdown!

It's a toss up really. I can't stand the taunting and all the other BS but on the other hand whats wrong with a little pump fist into the air after a good play? or some high fives.

The NCAA needs to take a serious look at the intent of this rule. Throwing the bones or head slapping your teamate after a sack or int certainly does not deserve a 15 yard penalty.

It's a toss up really. I can't stand the taunting and all the other BS but on the other hand whats wrong with a little pump fist into the air after a good play? or some high fives.

The NCAA needs to take a serious look at the intent of this rule. Throwing the bones or head slapping your teamate after a sack or int certainly does not deserve a 15 yard penalty.

:yeah

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here... But someone please explain to me how this flag cost Washington a chance in OT. The kick was blocked, was it not? It's not like moving the kick back has anything to do with blocking it. If it was up at the normal spot, why would it not have been blocked? It's not like he missed the kick wide...IT WAS BLOCKED.

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here... But someone please explain to me how this flag cost Washington a chance in OT. The kick was blocked, was it not? It's not like moving the kick back has anything to do with blocking it. If it was up at the normal spot, why would it not have been blocked? It's not like he missed the kick wide...IT WAS BLOCKED.

That's a good point. The only possible explanation is that the farther you are from the goal, the lower the tragectory when the ball comes off the ground, and that had he been kicking from the "normal" spot, the block wouldn't have occured. But that's speculation, I know.

While I don't like the anti-celebration rule as it stands, the fact remains that thowing the ball in the air after a score is a violation. You are supposed to either hand the ball to the reg or place it near the point it became dead. And there is a sub-section that specifically bans throwing the ball "relatively" high. So, it wasn't as if it was an interpretation - the guy violated the rule.

That's a good point. The only possible explanation is that the farther you are from the goal, the lower the tragectory when the ball comes off the ground, and that had he been kicking from the "normal" spot, the block wouldn't have occured. But that's speculation, I know.

While I don't like the anti-celebration rule as it stands, the fact remains that thowing the ball in the air after a score is a violation. You are supposed to either hand the ball to the reg or place it near the point it became dead. And there is a sub-section that specifically bans throwing the ball "relatively" high. So, it wasn't as if it was an interpretation - the guy violated the rule.

Exactly. ESPN Final Score just had a huge discussion about it and made themselves look like bigger idiots than normal. Holtz even tried to claim he didn't throw the ball into the air, but raised his arms in celebration and the ball just happened to be in his arm, so it flew up.

It was moved back to what...like a 35 yard kick or something? It really doesn't take too much power for a college kicker to make it from 35. And it's not like it was just barely blocked...they blocked the sh#t out of it.

All in all, unless they were going for 2, it had no real impact.

And as you said, the refs were told to put emphasis on the rule. The rule specifically states throwing the ball into the air is unsportsmanlike conduct. It's right there in the rules and they're told to enforce them more strictly. If you don't like the call, don't bitch at the ref. Bitch at the people making the rules.

We are bitching at the people making the rules. The unsportsmanlike conduct flag is intended to keep players from taunting the other team. I have seen the video of the UW and BYU game, and that is as far from taunting as you get really. This is a game of emotion played. The refs need to be told to adhere to the spirit of the rule, not the letter of it.

Depending on the leg strength of the kicker, 35 yards could make such a change in the angle of the kick that makes it much more prone to being blocked.