New USA Today Rankings

We play no one until the Va Tech game, they are not in the top 25, how would be move into the top 25.

VaTech may lose another game before we play them.

We have to play Missouri close or win to get ranked. If we are 4-0 going into the Missouri game, and keep it respectable, we might see a 24-25 ranking. If we win, then up the charts to 15-18 is my guess.

Not that it really matters but yes we were "36th" before, UCLA jumped from having one vote into being one vote shy of the top 25 by beating a SEC team that has a new offensive coordinator, and frankly Tennessee looked everybit as bad as UCLA did look good. Cincinatti also passed us up, Rankings are garbage untill atleast week 4.

Assuming that VT doesn't lose again before facing us, I think that if we go 4-0 we crack 25, barely. Even though BCS conference teams schedule cupcakes early in the year, going 4-0 is a lot rarer than you would think. I went back and l looked at last year:

There were only three teams to go 4-0 and not be top-25: UConn, Purdue, and Mich St.

Purdue was 26th, Mich St. was 28th, and UConn was 36th.

VT this year will be a more impressive opponent than anyone those teams faced in their first four games.

The strongest wins for UConn and Mich St. were both against Pitt. Purdue's best win was over Minnesota. Pitt and Minnesota were sub-.500 over the season and had pretty low expectations at that point in the season.

Even with the loss in week one this season, I think most voters would consider VT a better than average team in a BCS conference, certainly above where Pitt and Minnesota were after week four last year.

All that said, let's just worry about San Jose State for now.