OMG

SkerMin8r

Come on fellas...you have to show some patience (and if there is anything that Cy knows...it's patience).

The Huskers are in the same situation as the Clones were in last year...new coach (who were both, by the way DC's for BCS Championship teams) in their first year as head coach, new staff with different expectations....the big difference is here at the start of the season, the Huskers are looking bad and WINNING while the Cyclones just...well...looked bad.

Seems to me, the observer, that Pelini is doing what Chizek has done...he's getting the most he can with players left over from the old regime while stockpiling HIS talent and recruits for next year. A very smart move for Pelini and Nebraska...why throw away young talent in an unsettled system when you can have them redshirt, learn the system from the ground up (as opposed to on the fly) and then start 2009 with players who know what's going on and not starting from square one? Good strategy that....

This year, it is what it is...talent and desire by the present players is going to make the difference in the close ones as the veterans play out their string. There are going to be some problems at the beginning until everyone can get "game day" comfortable with what's going on and I'm pretty sure we're going to see continual improvement throughout the year. Oh sure, there might be a few early season blow outs, just like ISU put up with last year (see...Texas) but, with more talent to begin with, these won't be nearly as bad as what I and to sit through last year in the early season and don't be surprised if, by the end of the year, we're looking at a team that can go toe to toe with anybody in the nation.

Patience Husker Nation....Patience...it might not be a perfect year, but it's Husker Football damn it!

The jury is very much out on Barney Cotton.

Shouldn't be he has proven through the years to be average at best. In 03 the line was average to below average. Do I need to mention ISU? I'm not saying he should get the boot, I'm saying he shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place. Just because he is a NU guy doesn't make him a good coach. I very much questioned when Frankie brought him in and I really questioned when Bo brought him along as well.

Well, OK. The jury is out optimistically for Barney Cotton. I didn't really like the idea of bringing him back, but hey, maybe he's a better O-line coach than OC. I do think we coulda done better though. By saying the jury is out, I meant, "he hasn't shown us he's good yet" rather than "he hasn't shown us he's bad yet."

I know what you meant, I was just saying in my eyes he has a proven track record of being very average at best.

Come on fellas...you have to show some patience (and if there is anything that Cy knows...it's patience).

The Huskers are in the same situation as the Clones were in last year...new coach (who were both, by the way DC's for BCS Championship teams) in their first year as head coach, new staff with different expectations....the big difference is here at the start of the season, the Huskers are looking bad and WINNING while the Cyclones just...well...looked bad.

Seems to me, the observer, that Pelini is doing what Chizek has done...he's getting the most he can with players left over from the old regime while stockpiling HIS talent and recruits for next year. A very smart move for Pelini and Nebraska...why throw away young talent in an unsettled system when you can have them redshirt, learn the system from the ground up (as opposed to on the fly) and then start 2009 with players who know what's going on and not starting from square one? Good strategy that....

This year, it is what it is...talent and desire by the present players is going to make the difference in the close ones as the veterans play out their string. There are going to be some problems at the beginning until everyone can get "game day" comfortable with what's going on and I'm pretty sure we're going to see continual improvement throughout the year. Oh sure, there might be a few early season blow outs, just like ISU put up with last year (see...Texas) but, with more talent to begin with, these won't be nearly as bad as what I and to sit through last year in the early season and don't be surprised if, by the end of the year, we're looking at a team that can go toe to toe with anybody in the nation.

Patience Husker Nation....Patience...it might not be a perfect year, but it's Husker Football damn it!

Cy is right, there is a portion of the NU faithful that needs to calm down. If you think a new coach can walk in the door, and change the system a lot, after a losing season, and all of a light comes on, the N's on the helmets start glowing and everyone play twice as well without any time to adjust, you are being pretty optimistic. I t take s a while to adapt, and as the year goes on the play should improve. THat said, sometime it even takes some YEARS of players being brought in until a change really sinks in. Best of luck, but your tradition and expectations don't suit up and play on Saturdays. Bo is working with who does suit up, and that takes longer and your desire to immediately be awesome is not going to make it happen. Frankly, impatience is what got you all in this mess in the first place.

I think we just need to all calm down. We have to face the fact that we still have the guys that calahan brought to us. Yes most of them are good but they have been coached by calahan for the whole time they were there. Once bo gets to recruit his own guys we will be better. Its his first year. Nothing great happens in one year of change.

Ummm.... no.

That excuse was the identical one used for the last four years. Just replace Callahan with Solich. I'm tired of that one.

Yeah..

It almost sounds funny whenever someone says that.."Just wait until he gets 'His players' in the system".

Like "what's his name" couldn't recruit and Pelini will magically just know which ones to go after (and be successful at getting them).

Maybe now we won't concentrate on just recruiting a certain kind of QB's and WR's, but since we still have Watson..Who knows...I just don't see the Defense being as ignored during recruiting season with this Head Coach.

Remember when we had coach(es) that could coach anybody? They could adapt to what they had and change philosophies and even make adjustments during the game?

Seems like there was a coach for Alabama? that they said "He can take His'n and beat Yours'n and he can take Yours'n and beat His'n".

I feel we have that kind of staff again.

Our players aren't the only ones making this adjustment..The coaches are also having to make adjustments and evolving to counter what other teams are doing..At least this staff appears to be willing and able to make those adjustments.

The Scholarship limits seem to have made it tougher for a team like Nebraska get back with the big boys..

I don't know how USC is able to still be able to stockpile anyone they want..You never hear about their walk-on program..What makes them so much more attractive than UCLA?

We can either start paying the players more or cheat by using more better walk ons.

There's going to be growing pains with any coaching change..I just hope the coaches don't get spooked by our crazy expectations.

I for one am going to try real hard to enjoy the process..and the rest of the season..I'm big enough now to not get so suicidal when we lose.

I heard Bo comments around my family today watching the game similar to what you're saying. Un f'n believable.

You're kidding! There's no way they'd say stuff like that. You must be lying!

Trust in Bo and he will lead the way brethren. You should all know better!! :sarcasm

I heard Bo comments around my family today watching the game similar to what you're saying. Un f'n believable.

Trust in Bo and he will lead the way brethren. You should all know better!! :sarcasm

It could be worse, we could still have your boy Calllllllahan as HC. This game would have been a loss.

If you think a new coach can walk in the door, and change the system a lot, after a losing season, and all of a light comes on, the N's on the helmets start glowing and everyone play twice as well without any time to adjust, you are being pretty optimistic.

That's exactly what many think.

optimistic or unrealistic?

it's a returning 5-7 team with lots of guys back, largely a first year coaching staff and brand new HC, competing in a revitalized north division of a pretty tough B12 conference.

I don't know why expectations should be so high.

But opinions vary.

one more creampuff to go, #109 nms. Then the real season begins. By then, vaTech and Nu should be rated about even. vaTech still has to play Ga Tech and N. carolina, they could have another loss by then.

Soon, we'll know what this team is made of.

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm

GO BO!!

I just can't believe I still hear about Frank. Where's Frank, we want Frank. Say no to Bo! STFU!! :steam

Cy is right, there is a portion of the NU faithful that needs to calm down. If you think a new coach can walk in the door, and change the system a lot, after a losing season, and all of a light comes on, the N's on the helmets start glowing and everyone play twice as well without any time to adjust, you are being pretty optimistic. I t take s a while to adapt, and as the year goes on the play should improve. THat said, sometime it even takes some YEARS of players being brought in until a change really sinks in. Best of luck, but your tradition and expectations don't suit up and play on Saturdays. Bo is working with who does suit up, and that takes longer and your desire to immediately be awesome is not going to make it happen. Frankly, impatience is what got you all in this mess in the first place.

Well said...

I've been following Nebraska since before many of you were born (went to my first game in 1961), and you have to give these guys a chance. At least the players are playing hard and didn't give up (I remember when that happened in 2002; was the first time in 40 years I had seen a Nebraska team give up).

Attitudes have to change on the team. They have to learn to win again. They have to learn teamwork again. They have to have enough success that both they (and their opponents) believe that they cannot be beaten.

Until then, at least we're not West Virginia.

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm

GO BO!!

Wow!

(Accd to the rankings on that website).

#37 beat #10 24-3

Think they (East Carolina and WVA) will switch places?

Uh... yes. that would be true. Not the biggest upset by far... Mich and App state will have that distinction for a long time.

To see who will/won't trade places, check the site when it's updated for this week.

If you didn't notice, they display 40+ rating sites and statistically combine them for a ratings system quite unlike the usual suspects (altough they are there as well).

GO BO!!

BEAT NMS!!