Callahan vs Bo

cmb23

I'll start this off with prefacing that I was not, am not and will never be an Callahan supporter.

That being said, I find it interesting on how fans adjust their attitudes to fit what they want to see/hear/expect. With our first two performances, in particular San Jose, I hear a lot of: "Hope we can do this"..."It's still early"..."Positives to take from this" under Bo.

Let's imagine these first two games this year, in particular coming off San Jose, with Callahan still in control. I doubt there would be much 'supportive' opinions right now. Just another one of the interesting takes on we loyal Husker fans.

I completely agree. It's sickening how hypocritical Husker Nation is.

The situations are totally different.

No they really aren't.

Also how come when Callahan used True Frosh for only special teams it was the end of the world but after 2 games Fisher, Wald and Dennard were used in this matter and no mention of it anywhere by the peanut gallery. Or Bo saying that he was going to focus on the defense and leave the offense to the offensive coaches, which is no different then Billy C saying he was doing the offense and leaving the defense to the defensive coaches. Pelini also wore blue to the first press conference this year. Or Pelini being a journey man and getting a pass while Elmo got bashed for it. Or the coach speak that Bo throws out at the press conferences granted it isn’t as arrogant as Callahan but it is still straight from the coach speak handbook.

See above for examples of hypocrisy.

Hell, there are plenty who still support him and wish he were still coach (ahem).

I don't necessarily wish Callahan was coach, but I wish he had been treated in the same regard as Pelini. Most were up his ass from day 1.

Oh, and you all forget, Bo came in and said the right things. He embraces NU and its tradition. He didn't pull a SP/BC and try to forget about the past and start his own traditions and insult Husker Nation.

Forget what happened 9 months ago? Forget about Tom Osborne having his hand up his ass moving his lips and making him say the right things? No, I didn't forget about that. Does he really embrace the tradition? Do you know that this isn't a bunch of lip service? So many are pinning the hopes of Husker Nation and a return to glory on Pelini, a man who has not stayed in one place for more than 3 years, a man who has less ties to this program than Callahan did(Callahan was personally recommended by the Bobfather Jr, Alvarez, his mentor). Will Pelini be successful? Lord, I hope so. If he is, will he stay? There isn't much to indicate he will, but maybe he will.

“He needs the players for his system”

“The cupboard is bare”

Also how come when Callahan used True Frosh for only special teams it was the end of the world but after 2 games Fisher, Wald and Dennard were used in this matter and no mention of it anywhere by the peanut gallery. Or Bo saying that he was going to focus on the defense and leave the offense to the offensive coaches, which is no different then Billy C saying he was doing the offense and leaving the defense to the defensive coaches. Pelini also wore blue to the first press conference this year. Or Pelini being a journey man and getting a pass while Elmo got bashed for it. Or the coach speak that Bo throws out at the press conferences granted it isn’t as arrogant as Callahan but it is still straight from the coach speak handbook.

Coach speak???? Are you kidding me? Do you even watch the press conferences? When Bo said, and I quote "This team is no where near where they need to be" how did you interprete that as coach speak? That's pretty damn straight forward if you ask me. He stated that the week before WMU. If you think that what Bo say's to the press is anything close to the smoke and mirrors Callahan had for us each week I have to question what rock you have been living under the last two years. This team is exactly where I figured they would be at this stage of the game. The defense, although very sloppy in the first half, is playing with some pasion and the offense will never have a running game as long as "I hate contact" Lucky is in the backfield. Some of you people need to take some valium and calm your butts down! It's going to take some time! The D is young and inexperienced but yet they play better then last years did. Maybe it would be better if some of you just stop being Husker fans for the rest of the season and just come back next year. Maybe then you will get the miracle you were hoping for this year. These players were beaten down and told they were worthless by coaches and fans, let them build up some confidence and good things will start to happen. Win or lose I'm behind Bo and players, I don't like to toot my own horn but I understand what reality is and will except the growing pains we will be going through. :woo Go Big Red!

I can't dig these up easily since there's no search function working on this board, but every time I followed a Pelini presser I made note of the coach speak just to show that yes, even good straight-talk coaches will give you a lot of coach speak.

Basically, the pressers were full of "<guy> is a good football player." "he's coming along, and he's a good football player, he brings a lot to the table." "and we think he'll be a good football player for us." Things like that.

There's so much double standards stuff going on. If BC said that the team was nowhere near where we needed to be, then it'd be just him shirking his own responsibility and blaming his players. Never mind that - to cite a specific example - he took all the responsibility and blame on his shoulders after the loss to OU in the CCG in '06. But BC would never do something so noble, right? <_<

Sometimes perception needs to be separated from reality.

Thank God there haven't been any pictures of the secondary in volleyball uniforms so far this year!! Suspensions should have been handed out IMHO.

Are you kidding me?!?!? It's friggin college kids during halloween.

I'm sorry, they probably should have been somewhere paying homage to Huskers past. My bad. :wacko:

There's so much double standards stuff going on. If BC said that the team was nowhere near where we needed to be, then it'd be just him shirking his own responsibility and blaming his players. Never mind that - to cite a specific example - he took all the responsibility and blame on his shoulders after the loss to OU in the CCG in '06. But BC would never do something so noble, right? <_<

Sometimes perception needs to be separated from reality.

BINGO!

Let's cut through the BS. Most including myself didn't like Pud and how his coaching search went. It would be unNebraskan to speak out against or question the will of TO who hired Pelini.

I totally agree, it wouldn't have mattered PUD brought in unless it was Gill or Bo. Most of the Nation hated Callahan from the get go because he was PUD's boy.

Most fans didn't care that Callahan was "Petersen's boy". Most were leery about Callahan because 1) his Raider team mutinied and imploded, 2) he was 4th or 5th choice in the coaching search and seemingly was picked out of desparation, and 3) he was and is an arrogant, all-knowing twerp who had to look on a map to see where Nebraska was located.

Let's cut through the BS. Most including myself didn't like Pud and how his coaching search went. It would be unNebraskan to speak out against or question the will of TO who hired Pelini.

I totally agree, it wouldn't have mattered PUD brought in unless it was Gill or Bo. Most of the Nation hated Callahan from the get go because he was PUD's boy.

Most fans didn't care that Callahan was "Petersen's boy". Most were leery about Callahan because 1) his Raider team mutinied and imploded, 2) he was 4th or 5th choice in the coaching search and seemingly was picked out of desparation, and 3) he was and is an arrogant, all-knowing twerp who had to look on a map to see where Nebraska was located.

I will just say this I totally disagree. People hated him because they hated PUD and like I said it wouldn't have mattered who was brought in unless they had NU ties and ran the option. He worked for Alveraz and knows McBride I'm sure he knew where Nebraska was. Also that is crap about the Raiders, how many Husker fans actually gave a crap that Charles Woodson, Tim Brown and the rest of those old time "me first" guys stopped playing for Callahan? Go ask Average Joe Husker fan about that team and they will say "Who cares about the NFL? Just run the option to the short side of the field already." <_<:moreinteresting

Bo isn't arrogant? :bs::dunno:koolaid2:

I will just say this I totally disagree. People hated him because they hated PUD and like I said it wouldn't have mattered who was brought in unless they had NU ties and ran the option. He worked for Alveraz and knows McBride I'm sure he knew where Nebraska was. Also that is crap about the Raiders, how many Husker fans actually gave a crap that Charles Woodson, Tim Brown and the rest of those old time "me first" guys stopped playing for Callahan? Go ask Average Joe Husker fan about that team and they will say "Who cares about the NFL? Just run the option to the short side of the field already." <_<:moreinteresting

Bo isn't arrogant? :bs::dunno:koolaid2:

Once again.....Infinite knowledge! I glad you know what all of us lower class Husker fans wanted, and it's impressive how you know what our knowledge of football consist of. The tide commercial keeps coming to mind................Blah Blah Blah Blah

No they really aren't.

Yea, they are, but thanks for ignoring the rest of my points.

See above for examples of hypocrisy.

The comparison between Bo and Elmo is bunk, totally different situations. I don't have a problem if they get alot of playing time on special teams. My problem with Calllllllahan was that he would burn a redshirt year for these guys and only give them meaningless mop-up duty in the first 2 or 3 games and not play them the rest of the year. Guys such as Paul and Holt have made mention of that. I do have a problem with Bo not wearing Husker gear when he is at press conferences, Big Red Breakfast, and on the Big Red Coaches show. If he is the head coach, wear the gear when you are representing the team.

Hell, there are plenty who still support him and wish he were still coach (ahem).

I don't necessarily wish Callahan was coach, but I wish he had been treated in the same regard as Pelini. Most were up his ass from day 1.

I disagree. Most were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, give him his 4-6 years, but it didn't work out.

Oh, and you all forget, Bo came in and said the right things. He embraces NU and its tradition. He didn't pull a SP/BC and try to forget about the past and start his own traditions and insult Husker Nation.

Forget what happened 9 months ago? Forget about Tom Osborne having his hand up his ass moving his lips and making him say the right things? No, I didn't forget about that. Does he really embrace the tradition? Do you know that this isn't a bunch of lip service? So many are pinning the hopes of Husker Nation and a return to glory on Pelini, a man who has not stayed in one place for more than 3 years, a man who has less ties to this program than Callahan did(Callahan was personally recommended by the Bobfather Jr, Alvarez, his mentor). Will Pelini be successful? Lord, I hope so. If he is, will he stay? There isn't much to indicate he will, but maybe he will.

Wanna talk hypocrisy "Hand up his ass?" Were you asleep the previous 4 years? The only thing Bo ever said negative about NU had to do with SP/BC and the treatment/firing of Frank and his last staff. He has always said good things about NU, our fans, and our tradition. I guess you forget about Callllllahan and the "Crusty old f@%k" and saying how we (NU fans) should go get lost in the Sandhills while he gets a real newspaper, the NY Times. Personally, I was never big on Alvarez or his opinion.

Nobody "knows" if it is lip service, but Bo had it real good at LSU. He easily could have stayed there and hung on, got a big contract while he waited for another "bigger" job to come his way. He has always said how much he enjoyed his time in Lincoln, and no one has any reason to believe that to be a lie. IMO, if he does as well as I hope he does at NU, the only place I can see him leaving for is his alma-matter AN Ohio St. University, and I could understand that.

Wow, are we really discussing this after game two? :bang Really..........? Seriously...........?

Speaking as both a Husker fan and life long RAIDAAAAS fan. I can tell you unequivocally that Calli was a TERRIBLE hire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're talking about a coach who, when going into the Super Bowl. Against his old boss. Makes NO major changes to either his personnel groupings, audible package, freaking signals, NOTHING! Jon Gruden was running the scout offense in practices as Gannon. And the Bucs said after the game that everything Gruden showed them, or told them to watch for, they say. EXACTLY the way he said it would. Sound familiar?

You can all say in hind site that Callahan was being torched when he arrived. But truth be told for an unfamiliar, just fired, 4th or 5th choice guy, he was given a lot of slack. "He is an NFL guy after all"

blah, blah, blah.......

I for one still don't get how absolutely thrilled some where to get Solich out of town. He did what even the great T.O. would do the year before and dumped half his staff, do in large part to the public out cry over a GASP 7-7 season!!! 28-11 the last three years!! horrible!!! Bet you'd kill for that record right now, huh?

Does anyone remember just how bad we where in 04? Calli couldn't have done less with more if we paid him! Oh wait, we did pay him...............S$#%

And I'm not even getting into Bo not being the right choice, he was the ONLY choice!!!!!

:madash:madash:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:madash:madash:madashdedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse:madash:madash:madash:ahhhhhhhh:ahhhhhhhh:madash:madash

Also that is crap about the Raiders, how many Husker fans actually gave a crap that Charles Woodson, Tim Brown and the rest of those old time "me first" guys stopped playing for Callahan? Go ask Average Joe Husker fan about that team and they will say "Who cares about the NFL?

I heard Tim Brown on Big Sports 590 last year and his paints a completely different picture of what happened in Oakland. It seems that Calllllllahan wanted to leave but didn't want to quit, so he put the team in every bad position he could so that he would be fired and get the remainder of his contract. Sound familiar?

Believe what you want, but Calllllllahan has a history of wrecking good teams that his is the head coach of. It took him 2 years in Oakland and 4 years here, so any Husker fan should have cared what he did in Oakland, because he did something similar here.

I do have a problem with Bo not wearing Husker gear when he is at press conferences, Big Red Breakfast, and on the Big Red Coaches show. If he is the head coach, wear the gear when you are representing the team.

I wasn't alive during his days; but I have to believe, that if some punk had asked Bob Devaney why he wasn't wearing husker gear for a press conference. He'd punch him in the face!!!