Callahan vs Bo

cmb23

I'll start this off with prefacing that I was not, am not and will never be an Callahan supporter.

That being said, I find it interesting on how fans adjust their attitudes to fit what they want to see/hear/expect. With our first two performances, in particular San Jose, I hear a lot of: "Hope we can do this"..."It's still early"..."Positives to take from this" under Bo.

Let's imagine these first two games this year, in particular coming off San Jose, with Callahan still in control. I doubt there would be much 'supportive' opinions right now. Just another one of the interesting takes on we loyal Husker fans.

I'll start this off with prefacing that I was not, am not and will never be an Callahan supporter.

That being said, I find it interesting on how fans adjust their attitudes to fit what they want to see/hear/expect. With our first two performances, in particular San Jose, I hear a lot of: "Hope we can do this"..."It's still early"..."Positives to take from this" under Bo.

Let's imagine these first two games this year, in particular coming off San Jose, with Callahan still in control. I doubt there would be much 'supportive' opinions right now. Just another one of the interesting takes on we loyal Husker fans.

That was always my attitude with Callahan, because I believe it usually takes 3-5 years to see what a coach is really going to do. There was plenty of reason for hope early last season, but they melted down and we saw Callahan simply wasn't going to get it done. Bo is in the same situation and my attitude is the exactly the same. Nothing has changed for me.

I get what you're saying, and I agree with you. However, TO never stood in front of Husker Nation and promised us he wouldn't let us slip into mediocrity after just firing a 9-3 or 10-3 coach. He didn't give us all the hopes and promises Pud did when he hired BC. Basically, we expected Bob Stoops type results from BC because that's basically what Pud promised us. "We will not surrender the Big 12 to the likes of Oklahoma and Texas". BC walked into the game against a stacked deck with a pair of deuces.

I will say this. If we get thumped by TT like BC did his first year, I'm going to feel just as uneasy about Bo as I did about BC. The unfortunate thing about all of this is the fact that Pelini is a TO hire. If he fails, I have no idea where we turn next. We've put a lot of our eggs into this basket by getting TO back into the program as AD. If his hire fails, will we give him another chance to deliver us another coach? I think eventually Pelini will make the grade as our coach. However, I think there will be a few shakeups of the staff before we return to greatness.

BC had his chance and blew it bigtime. That was a constant slide downward towards the end. I am sure that we would have had the cheerleaders in the defensive backfield saturday, since the volleyball team was disposed elsewhere.

Thank God there haven't been any pictures of the secondary in volleyball uniforms so far this year!! Suspensions should have been handed out IMHO.

I think there is a lot more to it.

Bring back (where it was missing or lacking)

1. Be competitive

2. Walkon Program

3. Husker Tradition

4. Recruit from state of Neb first, then go outside

5. Embrace former players

6. Team concept

Bonus: Dont be a self-centered jerkface coach (a little harsh, but I feel strongly about this opinion).

Things appear to be going as planned. I'm very supportive of this new staff & the players. :)

I completely agree. It's sickening how hypocritical Husker Nation is.

That's my only point. I don't think Bo is leading us to a title this year. But I do know that if both of these first games went the same way for Callahan, he would have to worry for his life.

“He needs the players for his system”

“The cupboard is bare”

Also how come when Callahan used True Frosh for only special teams it was the end of the world but after 2 games Fisher, Wald and Dennard were used in this matter and no mention of it anywhere by the peanut gallery. Or Bo saying that he was going to focus on the defense and leave the offense to the offensive coaches, which is no different then Billy C saying he was doing the offense and leaving the defense to the defensive coaches. Pelini also wore blue to the first press conference this year. Or Pelini being a journey man and getting a pass while Elmo got bashed for it. Or the coach speak that Bo throws out at the press conferences granted it isn’t as arrogant as Callahan but it is still straight from the coach speak handbook.

The difference between Bo and Bill...

I already gave Callahan four years to show me something; this was Bo's third game as head coach.

Remember rumorville? The Bogasm carried over. He has a huge loyal fan base. I wasnt a part of it, and didnt think Pelini would be the right choice. I do like how the players say it's completely different & how the former players embrace it. That makes it easier for me to be supportive.

And considering there was so much animosity and hate during last season, it is refreshing to hear the players speak about the coach with respect and great regard. Maybe some of the fans are on board? I know I am.

I saw through Callahan since they hired him. I never was a fan. So in that respect I do not consider myself someone who is more leanient of Bo b/c of similar 2-0 records or what-have-you. I consider myself a fan of the team and appreciate the direction it is headed.

The situations are totally different. Calllllllahan had plenty of supporters through thick and thin up until it totally fell apart last year. Hell, there are plenty who still support him and wish he were still coach (ahem). We have been through 6 straight up and down years, not 2 as before BC. We got better the year prior to BC, while the last 4 years have been a series of peaks and valleys (mostly valleys) with last year being a disaster. The landscape has changed, expectations have been lowered thanks to SP/BC.

Oh, and you all forget, Bo came in and said the right things. He embraces NU and its tradition. He didn't pull a SP/BC and try to forget about the past and start his own traditions and insult Husker Nation.

Clownahan had his chance, until Bo spends 3-4 years here, no one can rightfully bitch!

The main difference is when Solich was fired and Callahan was hired, Husker fans were torn about the firing at all. Just about everyone wanted Callahan out by the end of last year. I'm sure you would find a lot of the same kinda things from Callahan's first year posted here. But at year 4 its different.

“He needs the players for his system”

“The cupboard is bare”

Also how come when Callahan used True Frosh for only special teams it was the end of the world but after 2 games Fisher, Wald and Dennard were used in this matter and no mention of it anywhere by the peanut gallery. Or Bo saying that he was going to focus on the defense and leave the offense to the offensive coaches, which is no different then Billy C saying he was doing the offense and leaving the defense to the defensive coaches. Pelini also wore blue to the first press conference this year. Or Pelini being a journey man and getting a pass while Elmo got bashed for it. Or the coach speak that Bo throws out at the press conferences granted it isn’t as arrogant as Callahan but it is still straight from the coach speak handbook.

Coach speak???? Are you kidding me? Do you even watch the press conferences? When Bo said, and I quote "This team is no where near where they need to be" how did you interprete that as coach speak? That's pretty damn straight forward if you ask me. He stated that the week before WMU. If you think that what Bo say's to the press is anything close to the smoke and mirrors Callahan had for us each week I have to question what rock you have been living under the last two years. This team is exactly where I figured they would be at this stage of the game. The defense, although very sloppy in the first half, is playing with some pasion and the offense will never have a running game as long as "I hate contact" Lucky is in the backfield. Some of you people need to take some valium and calm your butts down! It's going to take some time! The D is young and inexperienced but yet they play better then last years did. Maybe it would be better if some of you just stop being Husker fans for the rest of the season and just come back next year. Maybe then you will get the miracle you were hoping for this year. These players were beaten down and told they were worthless by coaches and fans, let them build up some confidence and good things will start to happen. Win or lose I'm behind Bo and players, I don't like to toot my own horn but I understand what reality is and will except the growing pains we will be going through. :woo Go Big Red!