VA Tech vs NMSU

Why are so many people so set in stone on giving out blackshirts AFTER beating VA Tech?? What is there about the Hokie's offense that looks impressive that if we stop them, we deserve blackshirts??? Yet we have a team that actually have threats on the offensive side of the ball, and we absolutely shut them down, but yet the defense doesn't deserve blackshirts after that?

I think (or thought) NMSU's offense was good. Not like San Jose St, WMU, Nevada, Ball St, or whatever, with interesting storylines and feel-good stories or whatever, but actually good. I mean, I'd actually heard of this Chase Holbrook guy from two years ago, mentioned as one of the nation's best. And supposedly their receivers are legit NFL prospects.

But really I don't think it comes down to "how good" NMSU's O, or VT's O, or Missouri's O is. Blackshirts aren't merely ribbons handed out for a worthy performance, and I really don't think deciding when to hand them out can factor in something like how good the opponent was.

you're right.. they aren't just ribbons handed out..

they are awarded to the 1st string defense when the two-deep depth chart is announced.... if you don't think that the performance that this d put in today was worthy (a shut out, that 7 shouldn't be on their shoulders), then i don't see how shutting down VT's offense can be deemed worth either.

(and i'm not saying you as in you... just all the naysayers)

Very good points from the last few posters. Never quite thought of it that way. I think it's something that only Bo can decide. When he decides that he's seen an effort and a tenacity that borders on insanity I think we'll see the Blackshirts come back. Maybe that's tomorrow. Maybe it's a year from now. We'll see. I trust Bo's decision.

Why are so many people so set in stone on giving out blackshirts AFTER beating VA Tech?? What is there about the Hokie's offense that looks impressive that if we stop them, we deserve blackshirts??? Yet we have a team that actually have threats on the offensive side of the ball, and we absolutely shut them down, but yet the defense doesn't deserve blackshirts after that?

Maybe it's the 4-9, 3-8, and 0-12 records New Mexico St. has racked up over the last three years. But yeah, their offense is on fire. :dunno

Well, being one of the apparent "naysayers", i'm merely suggesting that it would be an appropriate time to give out the Blackshirts, if and when they have shown that they are worthy of wearing them.

I think if we beat Va Tech, and the D has a very good game, showing heart, teamwork, and guts, then yes, that would be a good time to do so.

It's not anyone on this board to say when or where they are handed out.

And if you don't like that, then go jump on the ECU bandwagon, i'm sure they have the room...

Wasn't NMSU's reported to have gotten 3,000+ yards the last 2 seasons? Looks like Nebraska shut him down last night.

Nebraska needs to play at the top of their game against VT, and the Husker Fans need to be loud again. I hope to see a Cornhusker Blowout.

IMHO, the Defensive starters should get their BLACKSHIRTS prior to the VT game. It's an uphill battle from here on. We're 3-0 and it's time to get the additional Blackshirt Attitude goin' on.