Proof KU fans are bandwagon...

Saunders

Journal-World reporter Robert Riley was walking down Massachusetts Avenue Monday afternoon asking respondents their opinion about the Jayhawks' loss at South Florida three days prior. Riley originally planned to pose a question about the stock market collapse, but that produced little passion among respondents.

So the football question was asked, first to a normal-looking college student who was waiting for a couple of his friends to leave a store.

Here's the way Riley relayed the conversation to Keegan.

Riley: "Has the KU football team's recent loss shaken your faith in the team?"

Student: "I sure hope not."

Riley: "Why's that?"

Student: "I'm on the team."

Riley: "What position do you play?"

Student: "I'm the quarterback."

It turns out that Riley was asking the questions of Reesing, who ended up as the first answer in Riley's column on Tuesday morning.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/sep/17/k...ery_man/?sports

I hate to say this, but I am sure if the same question would have been asked after our first loss last year...the response from the average person on the street might not have been so different. Not that many people recognize players unless they are really into it.

I hate to say this, but I am sure if the same question would have been asked after our first loss last year...the response from the average person on the street might not have been so different.

I don't think the average person on the street would have actually been the starting QB...

I doubt that it would be...but I also don't think the average person would recognize Ganz today on the street in Lincoln, to be honest. It does kind of surprise me that this reporter didn't though, that really don't say much for his knowledge of the team, or say that he follows it very closely himself.

Journal-World reporter Robert Riley was walking down Massachusetts Avenue Monday afternoon asking respondents their opinion about the Jayhawks' loss at South Florida three days prior. Riley originally planned to pose a question about the stock market collapse, but that produced little passion among respondents.

So the football question was asked, first to a normal-looking college student who was waiting for a couple of his friends to leave a store.

It turns out that Riley was asking the questions of Reesing, who ended up as the first answer in Riley's column on Tuesday morning.

Not sure how that article gives the perception Jayhawk fans are "bandwagon fans". The impression I get out of the article was simply an article on a chance meeting with Reesing.

Not sure how that article gives the perception Jayhawk fans are "bandwagon fans". The impression I get out of the article was simply an article on a chance meeting with Reesing.

Kind of says that Riley is though, don't it? Not sure I would have had the balls to print this one and embarrass myself like that.

Trust me Saunders you didnt need that article to prove it. Think about how many Jayhawk football fans you knew before last year. I grew up and spent the first 24 yrs of my life 1 hr from KC. I personally knew ONE person who liked KU football. I knew hundreds who liked KU basketball, but none of them ever spoke about Ku football. In fact, I know more KU basketball/NU football fans than KU basketball/ku football fans.

Now when i go home i couldn't throw a rock with out hitting one. KU football every where. PUKE

I have loved MU since i was 8. They were horrible until i was 15 then they went in the crapper for another 5-6 years and it has been a slow and wonderful climb out. If you love your team and they suck, then props to you. it can be a cruel world. Trust me i know. I can and will put up with a ton of stuff from my one friend who has always liked KU football, but everyone else who jumped on the wagon, you can suck it! :nutz

Riley noted, in a first draft of the article which was submitted and later edited by the KU Athletic Department, for approval that Reesing was wearing an Iowa State Cyclone hoodie and was in the process of purchasing several more when Riley began questioning him

You never got a chance to see the original article. I have added the paragraph that was cut out by the KU Athletic Department before it was published....

If the best evidence you can come up with...

If you are arguing that no one cared until recently, that is ridiculous. If you are arguing that basketball is still more popular, than that is obvious. If you are trying to porve that there is not a huge core of die hards to the point that we have a wait list, then look at our record over the last 35 years and it is pretty obvious why that is. If NUs next 35 went like KUs last 35, you would lose you wait list men. You just would.