Cy Picks The Winners In Week Six

Week six and the opening of Big 12 conference play! Now, after weeks of pounding sub-par and undersized teams, we can all sit back and relax as the teams in the conference finally begin to fall into their realistic positions within the league standings. As a reminder, Cy is 20-6 in his picks this year…

Texas (4-0) at Colorado (3-1) – Frankly, because of the intangibles, I’m going to give this one to Colorado in an upset. Yeah…I hate Colorado with a passion but still…Texas will be sucking wind at that altitude and Colorado always plays well at home. If the Buffs can ride out the first quarter without getting lit up, they will take the Longhorns down…if only to totally ball up the Big 12 North standings

Colorado (4-1) over Texas (4-1)

Big 12 Standings – After Week Six

Feel free to display your ignorance of college football by disagreeing with any of my picks

I'll disagree with this one...

Texas (4-0) at Colorado (3-1) – Frankly, because of the intangibles, I’m going to give this one to Colorado in an upset. Yeah…I hate Colorado with a passion but still…Texas will be sucking wind at that altitude and Colorado always plays well at home. If the Buffs can ride out the first quarter without getting lit up, they will take the Longhorns down…if only to totally ball up the Big 12 North standings

BTW-- Speaking of ignorance.... I was right on all three of my disagreements last week. ;)

I picked Missouri but that doesn't mean that it's not realistic to think Nebraska can win the game. If the Huskers can do a couple of things consistently through the game there's a good chance they can pull it off. BUT...they need to:

Defensively -

Get some penetration and pressure from the D-Line. If the defense has to rely on pulling LBs or DBs out of coverage and blitzing them, Daniels is going to find the open spots.

Maintain outside containment on Daniels. Tayor went for at least 8 every time he scrambled to the outside and we had to rely on DBs coming up to put the hit on him. DE's and LB's need to turn Daniels inside and give the middle of the defense a chance to knock him down.

We need lock down coverage from the DBs. They have to pick their guys up and stick with them. They can't bite and break off coverage on scrambles and they better all know what their assignments are when MU overloads a side or sends two guys through a zone. MU has a lot of goofy passing looks but they are all variations of basic plays. Don't get fooled. Anyone who has watched MU this year can tell you that when Daniels scrambles now, he's looking to pass first and get yards second. Don't break coverage to try to put a hit on him.

Offensively

Keep the defense off the field. The Huskers have to grind out yards...3, 4 yards a pop...to keep the ball out of MU's hands and to give the defense some rest. Pound it up the middle and keep pounding it. Good clock management can win this ball game

Take advantage of the skill receivers you have. Swift and Peterson are excellent in intermediate routes through the center of the field. Throw it there. Don't go slinging it down field just for the sake of slinging it there. Slow and steady.

If Ganz is going to run...run! There were a couple times against V-Tech when Ganz could have picked up 5-10 more yards with his feet if he would have just tucked the ball and taken off instead of looking downfield. The Huskers need those yards so take em.

Keep the crowd in it. It's the biggest advantage NU has...always has been. If you have momentum going, avoid killing it with stupid little mistakes like a delay of game penalty. Nothing will take a crowd out of a game faster than shooting yourself in the foot.

Do those things and add better special teams play to keep MU on the long side of the field and there's a good chance Nebraska comes out on top. I don't know if they can do all those things throughout the game...young team, new system. I hope they can pull it all together but the smart money, and my pick, still goes with Missouri.

Your statements are spot on, well researched and put in plain text so that Colorado fans can understand it. I always seem to laugh at least once or twice when I read your posts.

Week six and the opening of Big 12 conference play! Now, after weeks of pounding sub-par and undersized teams, we can all sit back and relax as the teams in the conference finally begin to fall into their realistic positions within the league standings. As a reminder, Cy is 20-6 in his picks this year…

Feel free to display your ignorance of college football by disagreeing with any of my picks

BTW-- Speaking of ignorance.... I was right on all three of my disagreements last week. ;)

I think UT wins too, but CU could do it. THat is the one upset he picked, so it is easy to go with the favorite. I must say, Cy has been pretty good so far, but most of these picks are favorites...

I think UT wins too, but CU could do it. THat is the one upset he picked, so it is easy to go with the favorite. I must say, Cy has been pretty good so far, but most of these picks are favorites...

So he's more credible if he picks more upsets? I think Cy's picks are pretty spot-on. I'm guessing KSU will get waxed. I would be surprised (but not totally floored) to see Texas or Missouri lose this weekend. They're both playing at tough venues. If UT and MU minimize mistakes I feel like they should both win by 10-14 points. We'll see!

Go Mizzou!

The only way NU beats Misery is if Shawn Cosgrove pounds the rock. The game won't even be close if we get into a "passing" contest with Mizzou. Pelini left the door wide open for Helu to start, so maybe he's realed Mr. Cosgrove in. For all of those wondering where Shawn Cosgrove will coach next year, the answer is simple: he'll either be here, or he'll be fired.

I don't think we have much of a shot against Texas today. Colt McCoy is playing as well as any player in the country and our offensive line is completely tore up. I had the chance to watch us play in person last weekend against a very mediocre FSU team and we failed to capitalize on our chances in the first half. I think there will be a great atmosphere in Boulder tonight but Texas is just too loaded and we are just too banged up.

As for my two upsets, I think KJUCO State has a great shot against Tech and not to sound like I am trying to suck up to any of you Fuskers but I don't think you all lose two straight at home under Bo. So I am going with KJUCO State and Bugoha.

An upset tonight is possible and I have to root for CU in this one because I want the North teams to take it to the South teams. I think it's possible for NU to beat MU, but highly unlikely. I keep on going back to the all the upsets that I've seen over the years in my head and I can't help it. Having said I want the North teams to take it to the South teams though I will never root for KSUcks in my life and wish nothing, but bad things for them. I hope TT absolutely destroys them and I want Josh Freeman hit so many times he starts to see things while standing on the sidelines. By the end of the game I predict him and his worthless coach Prince to be holding one another rocking back and forth while Freeman is sucking on a pacifier.

i can't believe Texas Tech is only a 7-1/2 point favorite over K State ..... there's something wrong with that <_<

Is that all?

*places bet*

There is no way KSU can keep it within the spread. They couldnt contain Louisville's offense. I dont know if the odds makers think its going to be a shootout, but there is no way Freeman keeps up in a shootout, game goes that way he will have 3 picks.