Brown: Pelini, Huskers remain positive

OMAHA – In the moments after Nebraska’s 52-17 loss to Missouri last weekend, at least within the NU locker room, encouragement trumped any discontent.

“Coach (Bo) Pelini, in the locker room, told the team that they took another step,” said tight ends coach Ron Brown while speaking to boosters on Friday morning. He compared the process of rebuilding Nebraska’s proud football tradition to that of raising a newborn.

“When babies come out, you’ve got some signs that this might be a human being someday,” Brown said, prompting laughter from those gathered at the weekly Big Red Breakfast. “When the baby gets fed and nurtured, you’re going to have an identity. But until then, every step along the way, you’ve got to congratulate that baby and encourage that baby and caution that baby to never stop trying.

“When you start losing football games, because the world defines success by wins and losses, that’s when kids start letting down.”

Since Saturday’s setback, coming on the heels of a loss to Virginia Tech, Brown said that the Huskers have had some of their best practices of the season. It’s that level of effort and dedication that gives NU its best shot to win on Saturday afternoon at No. 7 Texas Tech.

Kickoff at Jones AT&T Stadium is set for 2 p.m. FSN has the telecast with Joel Meyers, Gary Reasons and Jim Knox on the call.

As was the case against the potent Missouri offense a week ago, controlling the football, Brown said, will again be important in slowing Texas Tech.

While the Nebraska running game has admittedly struggled, Brown cautioned fans not to be too critical of the offensive line and not to judge the offense solely based on statistics.

Some of Nebraska’s pass plays are the equivalent of runs, just as in the 1990s, NU’s option plays were not entirely unlike passes.

“Basically, we’re looking for ways to move the football,” Brown said. “And to go from the Bill Callahan system to what we want to do is not an easy transition. It’s going to take a little bit.”

To succeed, Brown said, requires execution by all 11 players on the field, and not just the offensive line or running backs.

“We need to get better at what we’re doing,” he said.

But Brown, an assistant coach at Nebraska from 1987 through 2003, remains confident that the Huskers are on the right track.

After the players’ prayer at midfield following last week’s loss to the Tigers, Brown said he reminded the Huskers to walk off the field with their heads held high.

“Look every Nebraskan that you see right in the eye,” Brown told the players. “They have problems in their own life, they’ve have close calls, but we all have to pick up our spirits.

“Even in games like last week, when you get your butt kicked, and you feel like everybody is defining you based upon the final score, there has to be something inside you that drives you to keep going.”

Among other topics:

-- Of Nebraska’s young tight ends, Brown said freshmen Ben Cotton and Kyler Reed – both likely to redshirt –– have shown great potential.

Cotton, the son of offensive line coach Barney Cotton, has the size and skill to be a great player in the program, Brown said. Cotton is listed at 6-foot-6, 230 pounds. Reed, Brown said, is one of the best pure athletes on the team.

“When he runs, and he hits you, he just rocks people,” Brown said. “He’s got a chance to do a lot of great things for us.”

-- Brown singled out redshirt freshman offensive lineman Mike Caputo, a walk-on from Millard North, as a player who fans – were they to walk into practice – would love to watch.

“He is so tenacious,” said Brown. “I talk a lot about fear and what fear will do to you. Fear will kick your tail. It will cause you to do some of the dumbest things in life. It’s amazing how many people live in fear.

“When I look at Caputo play, there’s a guy with no fear.”

I just hope they can keep a positive attitude through this whole season, it is going to be tough. <_<

It is also good to hear about walk ons being talked about again... :clap They are kids that have worked their tails off to be there, just as this whole team will have to to be where we once were again. I firmly believe that the walk ons will be the ones that show this team how to get there. This is a journey that will take a lot of heart.

***SNIP***

"Basically, we're looking for ways to move the football," Brown said.“"And to go from the Bill Callahan system to what we want to do is not an easy transition. It's going to take a little bit."

***SNIP***

Not being critical at all here - genuinely curious. What, exactly, is the offense transitioning to? The kind of spread option run by Utah under Urban Meyers (which was less about passing and more about option running, and which we haven't seen at Flordia due to the lack of a real running back threat)? A traditional power I? A version of the West Coast offense that is "run first" oriented? I doubt that it's a "run first" version of the WCO, simply because the transition would not be that difficult, I wouldn't think...

Part of the confusion, for me, is that we have heard Bo say he wants a power running game, but at the same time be "balanced". I'm not sure the two are completely compatible. To be a power running team - as opposed to a balanced team that can run or pass - you have to commit to the run to the point where you have to over-emphasize it at least a little.

there are different types/forms of coach speak.........cally used to make me sick with his brand.......these coaches are trying to be reasonable and positive, but as for Watson, i don't think he can put an identity on this offense just yet, he calls it the Nebraska offense, i think he is short on talent to do the things, the way he wants them done..so the way i see it is this.......he can continue to stubbornly pursue the type of play calling and plays he wants to see (hoping for improvement) or he can change some of the play calling philosophy to fit his players.....assuming there is some part of the offense they are good at.......i am still waiting to see what part that may be......but, something different needs to happen.

Well I'm not trying to be negative in anyway, but I'm tired of hearing about how great the practices are going. I agree that Watson needs to change his offensive play calling to fit his players since they obviously aren't getting it done the other way. I'm glad that they are remaining positive because if they started getting negative again this team could fall off of a cliff.

Part of the confusion, for me, is that we have heard Bo say he wants a power running game

Pretty hard to have a power running game when you don't have a running game. That is a nice goal to eventually transition to, but it isn't happening this year, running back by committee = no quality running back. We used to have a power running game, but that was at a time when we were a lot more advanced in weight training, and were bigger than most opponents on the front line. I don't think it is possible to dominate the line like we once did on a consistent basis, and without mixing the pass in. I think it has to be balanced between run and pass, but I don't think we will have a "power" running game, especially with the talent we have now. Our O-line isn't getting any push, and the running backs are doing nothing but running into the linemen.

Part of the confusion, for me, is that we have heard Bo say he wants a power running game

Pretty hard to have a power running game when you don't have a running game. That is a nice goal to eventually transition to, but it isn't happening this year, running back by committee = no quality running back. We used to have a power running game, but that was at a time when we were a lot more advanced in weight training, and were bigger than most opponents on the front line. I don't think it is possible to dominate the line like we once did on a consistent basis, and without mixing the pass in. I think it has to be balanced between run and pass, but I don't think we will have a "power" running game, especially with the talent we have now. Our O-line isn't getting any push, and the running backs are doing nothing but running into the linemen.

Not sure what you mean by size, but I know the entire O-line dropped weight this past off season. NE state paper said Slauson lost 35 pounds...maybe this is an issue??

Not sure what you mean by size, but I know the entire O-line dropped weight this past off season. NE state paper said Slauson lost 35 pounds...maybe this is an issue??

I think size on the O-line is an issue that needs to be addressed, however, as I stated, I don't think we are just going to consistently line up even with the size increase, and blow people off the line since everyone else has pretty much caught up to us and what we did to get our linemen to be big and strong.

***SNIP***

"Basically, we're looking for ways to move the football," Brown said.“"And to go from the Bill Callahan system to what we want to do is not an easy transition. It's going to take a little bit."

***SNIP***

Not being critical at all here - genuinely curious. What, exactly, is the offense transitioning to? The kind of spread option run by Utah under Urban Meyers (which was less about passing and more about option running, and which we haven't seen at Flordia due to the lack of a real running back threat)? A traditional power I? A version of the West Coast offense that is "run first" oriented? I doubt that it's a "run first" version of the WCO, simply because the transition would not be that difficult, I wouldn't think...

Part of the confusion, for me, is that we have heard Bo say he wants a power running game, but at the same time be "balanced". I'm not sure the two are completely compatible. To be a power running team - as opposed to a balanced team that can run or pass - you have to commit to the run to the point where you have to over-emphasize it at least a little.

2 years ago, this offense was run first, and pretty balanced, I don't know what is wrong with being able to run and pass.

***SNIP***

***SNIP***

2 years ago, this offense was run first, and pretty balanced, I don't know what is wrong with being able to run and pass.

I suppose, for me, it may be a matter of what one would consider a "power running game". When I envision that term, it means a team that tends rely far more on the run than the pass. More of a 70-30 ratio (or more for the run) with a healthy dose of that between the tackles, as opposed to one that is "run first" which I envision more as a team that uses the run to set up the pass, but tends to be closer to a 50-50 ratio.

In my mind, to be true power running team, then, you have to commit to it in a way that you don't if you are more balanced - even if you are a "run first" team.

Just the way I think of it, though.

I think all this, 'we're taking baby steps' stuff is a load of :bs:

And does Brown really think the whole 'baby' metaphor serves the team well? :wtf

I mean, they ARE acting like babies: 'it takes TIIIME!; Watson's stuff is DIIIFFERENT(even though it

looks exactly like Cali's)',yadayada. But do ya really wanna say, 'we're like a baby', out in public, coach?

Are fb fundamentals so radically different under BO?

I don't buy it... :bs::bs:

I suppose, for me, it may be a matter of what one would consider a "power running game". When I envision that term, it means a team that tends rely far more on the run than the pass. More of a 70-30 ratio (or more for the run) with a healthy dose of that between the tackles, as opposed to one that is "run first" which I envision more as a team that uses the run to set up the pass, but tends to be closer to a 50-50 ratio.

In my mind, to be true power running team, then, you have to commit to it in a way that you don't if you are more balanced - even if you are a "run first" team.

Just the way I think of it, though.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the between the tackles thing. I think he is referring to the type of running plays more than how we will try to make most of our yardage or some run/pass ratio.

Well I'm not trying to be negative in anyway, but I'm tired of hearing about how great the practices are going. I agree that Watson needs to change his offensive play calling to fit his players since they obviously aren't getting it done the other way. I'm glad that they are remaining positive because if they started getting negative again this team could fall off of a cliff.

BRI i think you need to look at this from a different angle. See when there playing against there eachother they can do no wrong but when they play other teams they get in there own way which disrupts the way things flowed from when they practiced. Now remember because there playing themselves in practice they cant get in into trouble because they play with themselves but when its other teams there playing against themselves. You see how this works, because thats the way ive been seeing it lately. <_<:sarcasm