Last thing i'll say about the Blackshirts

I'm just getting tired about how everyone thinks they deserve it now. Why should we hand them out now and trivialize the whole tradition. And I know, i'm going to hear what about the seniors, but they should be the ones leading the way, and taking ownership of this defense.

I equate the handing out of the blackshirts, to a "moral victory"

We're not about moral victories, Nebraska never will be as long as I'm head coach. If we start being about moral victories, you need to get a new coach."

I'm just getting tired about how everyone thinks they deserve it now. Why should we hand them out now and trivialize the whole tradition. And I know, i'm going to hear what about the seniors, but they should be the ones leading the way, and taking ownership of this defense.

We're not about moral victories, Nebraska never will be as long as I'm head coach. If we start being about moral victories, you need to get a new coach."

you do realize that the "tradition" was for them to be given out when the 2-deep is announced.....correct?

i'm not taking either side on this anymore, but if you want to talk tradition, that is what it is about

Nope - which is why this is a unique year and situation for the 'blackshirt' tradition at Nebraska.

But I think it's equally silly for people to clamor for blackshirts on the basis of how they do in games. You're going to be waiting around forever for perfection. At some point, Bo is going to decide that the defense has 'restored the order' - so to speak - and is worthy of being called the Blackshirt defense again.

A good game doesn't mean they deserve blackshirts, and poor play on the field doesn't mean they don't. C'mon, blackshirts transcend such cut-and-dry judgment.

:bang

We can debate all season on the "Blackshirt Issue." I think some of the players have earned through their play a Blackshirt but as a unit they are not there yet. I think we will see them before the season is over.

The Blackshirts of old were not perfection....and the players themselves decided to stop wearing them. When the Defense and Coach Pelini say it is time, they will be back.

The D is improving each week, but I still don't think they are Blackshirt worthy.

However, I am rather happy with the way the D line has been playing this year. Remember at the beginning of the year everyone thought they were going to be a liability for the defense? Well, considering Turner is out, I must say that they are performing very well. I still would like to see them get pressure on the QB more consistently though...

Next year should be interesting. We have Turner coming back due to his injury, Allen, Suh, along with another tackle. In my opinion, our D line should be pretty solid next year.

I still think Bo should wait to hand them out before we go to a Bowl Game hand them out at home before they head to the bowl game. Its a good way to say way to go defense, and a good way to let the Seniors practice for there last game knowing they finished the year good enough to be considered a Blackshirt. Just my opinion.

And Bowman is doing well in the NFL :)

The bottom line is that BO wants some consistency. And so far we really haven't gotten that from the defense. TT was not exactly a dominant defensive performance. ISU was, but it was ISU.. and the breakdown early in the 3rd was not so great.

Honestly I don't see them being handed out this season, at least not during the regular season. Maybe if we just obliterate Baylor. And if we shut down OU you better believe they'll get them. But I don't see either of those happening, but if the consistency gets better maybe before the CU game? Possibly after the CU game as a reward for the season, if they're on the right track on defense that is.

Bo is using the blackshirts as a motivational tool at this point. You give them back after they've made some big strides or before a "statement" game to pump them up.

And Bowman is doing well in the NFL :)

The bottom line is that BO wants some consistency. And so far we really haven't gotten that from the defense. TT was not exactly a dominant defensive performance. ISU was, but it was ISU.. and the breakdown early in the 3rd was not so great.

Honestly I don't see them being handed out this season, at least not during the regular season. Maybe if we just obliterate Baylor. And if we shut down OU you better believe they'll get them. But I don't see either of those happening, but if the consistency gets better maybe before the CU game? Possibly after the CU game as a reward for the season, if they're on the right track on defense that is.

Bo is using the blackshirts as a motivational tool at this point. You give them back after they've made some big strides or before a "statement" game to pump them up.

Maybe not...but we held them to their lowest point total and total offensive yards of the season, and held harrell under 300 passing yards. I would say that is a pretty impressive defensive performance.

Maybe not...but we held them to their lowest point total and total offensive yards of the season, and held harrell under 300 passing yards. I would say that is a pretty impressive defensive performance.

Although I don't discount some improvement in the TT game, defensive stats don't show the true picture in my opinion. The fact is, had it not been for the NU offense significantly controlling the clock, the defensive stats would have been troublesome.

If the time of possesion would have been even, it is likely that TT would have put up over 600 total yds and probably scored another 2-4 times (we only stopped them from scoring 1 drive the whole game).

Thus, although there is improvement, it was the offense not the defense that kept us in the TT game (although for the life of me I still can't see why Bo didn't go for 2 and the win in regulation)......Time of Possession in OT is not a factor and to think we could match scoring with them was a pipe dream at best, IMO.

ISU is still ISU.....not a real indication to me.

For the defense to earn blackshirts and show they are back, it will take a dominating defensive game against the likes of OU. NU doesn't have to win for the defense to earn it. And an NU win doesn't mean the defense deserves it. They need to at least slow down if not stop a legitimate top 20 offense.

It seems no one remembers the 80s when our defense was why we never won national titles. They gave them out back then, right?