Quentin Castille

Dave M.

Part fo the problem is this is all in his head. Castille needs to be our bruiser type back. He shouldnt be out there running sweep plays, or being the pitch man for a reverse or whatever. He needs to stick to between the tackles. And as far as why they keep getting him the ball, its all psychological. Until he finally holds on to the ball consistently its going to be there. If he is running up the gut he needs to hold in with both arms for all hes worth.

One more thought...we need to have Q still running the ball. I love Helu to death but you cant have a college offense revolve around 1 back. They are to young and fatigue prone, and with Luckys nagging foot injury this could be a tough stretch for them.

Maybe Pelini needs to do what they did in the old days and make Q carry around a ball everywhere on campus.

Young and fatigue prone? Are you kidding me? These are top notch D1 athletes...they are not fatigue prone. I could run for miles when I was 18-23 and I wasn't a D1 athlete. If these guys are tired, they need to be ran more!

Oh, and Castille needs to carry a football around campus all the time. All the other team mates need to swat at it and try to strip it and if they do and bring it back to Pelini, Castille runs the stairs at the stadium, i.e. The Program.

That will get the fumbles out of his head quickly...He'd probably be running stairs everyday for the rest of his Husker career cuz he has no hands.

Quentin 'Iamfumble' Castille

I wonder what recruits think when they get on here and read this stuff. I bet they're like , "yeaaah... i wanna play for Nebraska cuz those fans will support me through thick and thin... yyyep" <_<

we lost the game... but it ain't cuz Castille fumbled.... let's see if the coaches can get the team ready to play the biggest game of the year, the next one

I wonder what recruits think when they get on here and read this stuff. I bet they're like , "yeaaah... i wanna play for Nebraska cuz those fans will support me through thick and thin... yyyep" <_<

we lost the game... but it ain't cuz Castille fumbled.... let's see if the coaches can get the team ready to play the biggest game of the year, the next one

Agree to disagree... I am not blaming this loss on Castille. This is just a forum to discuss the topic.

You can't say with a shroud of truth that he has not had a problem carrying the without fumbling. The issue is we have two other good backs that are capable of running and haven't shown that they are prone to fumble. Why wouldyou not give them the 10 reps that Q gets. Five more apeice for them wouldn't be that much. And for the recruits... If they think they can come here and fumble every 10 times they carry the ball, we don't need them. None of them would think that stat is acceptable and if it is they probably wouldn't want to come play here abyway. And if you think this board or any other board is bad... have you listened to any of the national guys or blogs? A recruit is more prone to listen to them than us and they aren't candy coating anything for us.

goo luck to that recruit in finding a team that doesnt have fans talking on forums about stuff like this

Part fo the problem is this is all in his head. Castille needs to be our bruiser type back. He shouldnt be out there running sweep plays, or being the pitch man for a reverse or whatever. He needs to stick to between the tackles. And as far as why they keep getting him the ball, its all psychological. Until he finally holds on to the ball consistently its going to be there. If he is running up the gut he needs to hold in with both arms for all hes worth.

One more thought...we need to have Q still running the ball. I love Helu to death but you cant have a college offense revolve around 1 back. They are to young and fatigue prone, and with Luckys nagging foot injury this could be a tough stretch for them.

Maybe Pelini needs to do what they did in the old days and make Q carry around a ball everywhere on campus.

Young and fatigue prone? Are you kidding me? These are top notch D1 athletes...they are not fatigue prone. I could run for miles when I was 18-23 and I wasn't a D1 athlete. If these guys are tired, they need to be ran more!

There is a difference between running miles and running in football. Different set of muscle fibers are targeted and its totally different conditioning. Football is about short bursts of speed which DO fatigue the body. It may not be for long periods of time, but there is still fatigue.

You mean to tell me when Lucky had his huge run against Baylor you didnt see him run out of gas at the end? This last game after Helu had a big game you could see it took it out of him.

The body needs recovery time which goes back to my original point of you have to spread the wealth among backs...you cannot rely on just one back.

The body needs recovery time which goes back to my original point of you have to spread the wealth among backs...you cannot rely on just one back.

I don't think I buy this. Yeah, the body needs recovery time...but what about all those years of having basically a one-back set? Yeah there were backups but we primarily used one back. You have IM Hipp, Mike Rozier, Jarvis Redwine, Calvin Jones, then LP with Ahman being the feature when LP was having his troubles. I don't seem to recall those backs splitting their time in half with another...

we don't have to use one back exclusively, but why three? the only other team that i know that uses three backs is USC. and they have a pocket full of cash with those three backs: Joe McKnight, Stafon Johnson, and CJ Gable. now honestly, should the huskers be using their backs like USC is?

i want Javon Ringer damn it.

There is a difference between running miles and running in football. Different set of muscle fibers are targeted and its totally different conditioning. Football is about short bursts of speed which DO fatigue the body. It may not be for long periods of time, but there is still fatigue.

You mean to tell me when Lucky had his huge run against Baylor you didnt see him run out of gas at the end? This last game after Helu had a big game you could see it took it out of him.

i'd rather have mendoza and who ever else is behind him running the ball. the fumbling problem cannot be overstated here.

I don't think I buy this. Yeah, the body needs recovery time...but what about all those years of having basically a one-back set? Yeah there were backups but we primarily used one back. You have IM Hipp, Mike Rozier, Jarvis Redwine, Calvin Jones, then LP with Ahman being the feature when LP was having his troubles. I don't seem to recall those backs splitting their time in half with another...

Not in half, maybe, but the Huskers always got the back-up plenty of carries, with the QB and Fullback getting more rushes than most teams.

In fact, the Huskers did so well getting the back-up HB playing time that he typically ended up replacing the starter. Hipp was a sophomore phenom, but was washed up by his Senior year and Redwine was the star. Redwine was washed up by his Senior year and Roger Craig was the star. By his Senior year, Craig was superseded by Mike Rozier and they turned Roger into a quasi-fullback in order to keep them both in the backfield. I think it was Keith Jones who was our Heisman candidate when they started giving freshman Lawrence Phillips some touches, and he took over the next year.

Outside of Mike Rozier, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a featured Nebraska running back who had a more productive Senior Year than his Junior or even Sophomore year. Some used to blame Boyd Eppley for turning the running backs into weight room fanatics, making them more muscle-bound than nimble. But even the greatest Husker running backs were always looking over their shoulder at the new kid.

Not in half, maybe, but the Huskers always got the back-up plenty of carries, with the QB and Fullback getting more rushes than most teams.

In fact, the Huskers did so well getting the back-up HB playing time that he typically ended up replacing the starter. Hipp was a sophomore phenom, but was washed up by his Senior year and Redwine was the star. Redwine was washed up by his Senior year and Roger Craig was the star. By his Senior year, Craig was superseded by Mike Rozier and they turned Roger into a quasi-fullback in order to keep them both in the backfield. I think it was Keith Jones who was our Heisman candidate when they started giving freshman Lawrence Phillips some touches, and he took over the next year.

Outside of Mike Rozier, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a featured Nebraska running back who had a more productive Senior Year than his Junior or even Sophomore year. Some used to blame Boyd Eppley for turning the running backs into weight room fanatics, making them more muscle-bound than nimble. But even the greatest Husker running backs were always looking over their shoulder at the new kid.

Well LP didn't play his senior year. Considering he was out a lot his junior year, it's naive to think his senior year wouldn't have been better. Didn't Ahman leave after his junior year as well?

When you name all those backs they ALL had backups that saw significant time. Just because the backup is not getting touches doesn't mean that he is not playing. The only time a majority of people notice what running back is in is when they are touching the ball which is only a part of what they do. How many times when we had Frazier, Crouch, or even Lord (QBs that kept the ball ALOT in the option) did we have a running back as a pitch man trailing him down the field? almost always, did they get the ball, not really.

My point is just because we don't hear the guys named called out doesn't mean that he doesn't see significant time when giving the starter a breather.

And as far as using three backs...the coaches obviously see something that we don't otherwise they wouldn't keep doing it.

And isn't Mendoza being converted to WR?

I understand the frustration people have with this kid not holding onto the football. But, where do you guys get the notion that he'll be switched over to linebacker?

Bo has repeatedly said that he plans on sticking with the three rb's he's got and plans to continue to disperse the carries to each of them for the rest of the season.

While I too think it wouldn't be too shabby of an idea to move him to the defense, it's not going to happen people. Give it a rest. He's going to be a runningback his entire college career. Deal with it!