Quentin Castille

Dave M.

I had to stop watching the game in the first quarter. Can anyone tell me exactly how bad Castille did?

For some reason we gave him some carries and he'd do his standard get to the line of scrimmage then fall down for apparently no reason.

Oh and fumble.

yah! that was so awesome!

Yeah, I think it's time for him to have a seat because he has shown two years in a row now that all he does is fumble and dive at the line of scrimmage. Give Helu and Lucky all the carries as Helu is probably going to be the starter next season anyways. Give Q the option, move to defense or sit the rest of your time here.

I saw the replay of the exchange. Ganz placed the ball right in Castille's solar plexus.

And ESPN kept the camera on Castille as he walked the sideline in shame. Feel sorry for the guy, but not enough to give him more chances. Because it's not like he showcases any impressive natural talent on the carries where he doesn't fumble.

Part fo the problem is this is all in his head. Castille needs to be our bruiser type back. He shouldnt be out there running sweep plays, or being the pitch man for a reverse or whatever. He needs to stick to between the tackles. And as far as why they keep getting him the ball, its all psychological. Until he finally holds on to the ball consistently its going to be there. If he is running up the gut he needs to hold in with both arms for all hes worth.

One more thought...we need to have Q still running the ball. I love Helu to death but you cant have a college offense revolve around 1 back. They are to young and fatigue prone, and with Luckys nagging foot injury this could be a tough stretch for them.

Maybe Pelini needs to do what they did in the old days and make Q carry around a ball everywhere on campus.

Part fo the problem is this is all in his head. Castille needs to be our bruiser type back. He shouldnt be out there running sweep plays, or being the pitch man for a reverse or whatever. He needs to stick to between the tackles. And as far as why they keep getting him the ball, its all psychological. Until he finally holds on to the ball consistently its going to be there. If he is running up the gut he needs to hold in with both arms for all hes worth.

One more thought...we need to have Q still running the ball. I love Helu to death but you cant have a college offense revolve around 1 back. They are to young and fatigue prone, and with Luckys nagging foot injury this could be a tough stretch for them.

No, we don't need Q touching the ball any more. Pretty much every other top ten team features one, standout RB. The best RBs tend to become stronger as a game wears on and as they get more touches they get into a rhythm and start running downhill.

Maybe Pelini needs to do what they did in the old days and make Q carry around a ball everywhere on campus.

They did. In a pre-season interview he joked about it and said fumbling isn't an issue anymore. Enough is enough already.

The thing is and it's obvious in most NU fans eyes, he doesn't have the speed to play at this level. Has horrible vision and balance. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to play LB either at this level. C. Glenn is a much smoother athlete. The only option I see is fullback or transfer.

I've been posting this for about the last 3 years witnessing Cally's recruiting philosophy and not taking any of the star bits into account, that entire staff recruited Big 10 style like they were still coaching college football in the 1980s. It's so apparent as you watch this team. All across the board.

There's about 3-4 fluid looking/running athletes on this team. Swift, Lucky, Murillo and West. When I'm talking fluid, I mean running smoothly. N. Paul is an example of a player that's running style is broken.

I would disagree with the first point and would question were you even came up with the second. Q has looked every bit as fleet of foot and nimble as glenn did when he was a RB..... he just cant hold onto the ball. IF he could I dont think their are many people that would be complaining about him.

the guy ran a 4.6 40 in HS... that's faster then glenn by .02, and the guy has dropped weight and supposedly a lot faster now

the only negative to moving him is a lack of a short yardage back. I think our current backs can handle that or how about using a FB? I'm sure the makavica kid could come in and get us a yard if needed

Absolutely! Q is fast and powerfull. I will always try to NOT bash any one player. He is a kid doing his best. That being said. I really wish the coaches would get this kid in a position/situation to be sucessful. He is a hell of an athlete and we do have real depth at RB. And the best backs on any team get the carries. That is not the case with the defense. If he could pick up the defense he would be a monster. Good for him, good for us. After all... He is hurt more than any of us if he fumbles. I couldn't handle it as well as he does. JMHO

Apparently these coaches see something in him that I do not. All I see is an average running back that fumbles. Maybe I'm wrong though?

He has to be killing it in practices to keep getting shots in the games. If this is the case, then it is definately a mental thing.

I have heard that this is the case. I keep hearing he is having monster practices and that is why he gets his carries.

I cannot understand why this guy still gets the ball. It's sort of mind blowing.

The only positive thing might be that he's still young and if he can learn something it might pay off later in his career. But damn it's painful to watch.

Do RB's ever really learn how not to fumble? I've always been of the mindset, once a fumbler always a fumbler. I realize Ahman took care of his fumbleitis in the NFL by simply getting different elbow pads that absorbed sweat better, but I just don't know in most cases whether a player can ever really learn how not to fumble. Once it becomes an issue like it has with Castille, he continually thinks about it which then basically takes him mentally out of the game.

I cannot understand why this guy still gets the ball. It's sort of mind blowing.

The only positive thing might be that he's still young and if he can learn something it might pay off later in his career. But damn it's painful to watch.

Do RB's ever really learn how not to fumble? I've always been of the mindset, once a fumbler always a fumbler. I realize Ahman took care of his fumbleitis in the NFL by simply getting different elbow pads that absorbed sweat better, but I just don't know in most cases whether a player can ever really learn how not to fumble. Once it becomes an issue like it has with Castille, he continually thinks about it which then basically takes him mentally out of the game.

Tiki Barber remedied his fumbling(for the most part) by changing his ball placement while he carried the ball. That is one of the few cases I have seen where a player has really improved in that area.