Coach Pelini and redshirts

My brother-in-law raised an interesting point Saturday (I couldn't believe it either) that Coach Pelini seems to be following a similar template to what basketball Coach Sadler did this past year in redshirting several players this year for the sake of the future.

I would say that it is also following the template that Coach Osborne had established for many years. I think in the long run it will be better for the program. I'm sure many think that Baker Steinkuhler and Will Compton could make an impact now. Yet Coach Pelini seems content on letting them mature a year and plugging those gaps with walk ons he doesn't have to worry about counting against the scholarship totals. In other words why burn their years of eligibility before it is necessary?

Any thoughts?

That is also sending a message that he doesn't care about a walk-on's eligibility. Matt Holt is playing as a true frosh walk-on, but it doesn't seem to matter because he is paying his own way. I agree with the build for the future idea, but some could also argue that Pelini is basically writing off this season as a lost cause. Who knows. I don't disagree with what he is doing, but if a guy can contribute and he wants to play, why not play him?

That is also sending a message that he doesn't care about a walk-on's eligibility. Matt Holt is playing as a true frosh walk-on, but it doesn't seem to matter because he is paying his own way. I agree with the build for the future idea, but some could also argue that Pelini is basically writing off this season as a lost cause. Who knows. I don't disagree with what he is doing, but if a guy can contribute and he wants to play, why not play him?

You mean at the beginning of the season, right?

Yes, of course. It doesn't make much sense to give up the redshirt at this point.

Yes, of course. It doesn't make much sense to give up the redshirt at this point.

but on that same note, what if he can contribute, but the coaches don't feel its a big enough difference to make a win/loss change? say we have compton playing... what game changes? OU and Mizzou are still blowouts.. does it make a difference in Va Tech or Texas Tech? I don't know even then if it would of been worth it then, where they can come in in and make a big difference next year...

but on that same note, what if he can contribute, but the coaches don't feel its a big enough difference to make a win/loss change? say we have compton playing... what game changes? OU and Mizzou are still blowouts.. does it make a difference in Va Tech or Texas Tech? I don't know even then if it would of been worth it then, where they can come in in and make a big difference next year...

I don't know that it changes anything, but you can't tell me that Matt Holt is head and shoulders above Compton. Compton was #2 on the depth chart when Dillard went down and Holt started that game in front of Compton. If you asked Compton, I am sure he'd give anything to be out there playing, but maybe Pelini has sat him down and told him of his plans for him and Compton agrees redshirting is best. I am not second-guessing Pelini for sitting these guys, but it could send a message that he is holding back. Yes, this team is thin, dangerously thin. Why not get some able bodies in there to help build some depth since many of the solid contributors from this team are gone after this year?

Could be that BP is learning on the job. Could also be other factors. Normally when numerous young guys get most of the reps day in and day out, play week in and week out, they tend to get better, the light bulb goes on and the game slows down. He must have thought these guys out there were talented enough to improve from week 1 through week 4, and from week 4 through week 8 and so on. That way he could redshirt some of the possible impact freshmen mentioned.

Early games against winnable opponents can also masquerade the true talent level on the field.

Next season we'll know more if there is a trend with the redshirts or what not.

At this point in our program I'm all for red shirting about every freshman we have (unless they are so talented that they are 1st string material in August). Let's face it, letting a young freshman come to college and get acclimated to school and football without the huge pressure of having to learn all the football playbook would be beneficial to the kid and the program in the long run. Plus a year later they would be physically better off. We're going to have to bite the bullet a couple of years before this program can get back on it's feet.

At this point in our program I'm all for red shirting about every freshman we have (unless they are so talented that they are 1st string material in August). Let's face it, letting a young freshman come to college and get acclimated to school and football without the huge pressure of having to learn all the football playbook would be beneficial to the kid and the program in the long run. Plus a year later they would be physically better off. We're going to have to bite the bullet a couple of years before this program can get back on it's feet.

very well said.

knowing how i did last year 1st semester was brutal.. no where near what i thought college would be like.. i cant imagine adding onto that being a starter on the football team.....