Bo Pelini

np_husker

Shatel hit it on the head. If Nebraska was 9-1 instead of 6-4 nobody would care what he is wearing and what he does on the sideline. If the Huskers were 9-1, he could be doing cartwheels in a banana hammock and everyone would think he is a character, not a lunatic. I think it is a bit early to hammer Pelini on some of these things. His dress is fine, it is not embarassing, IMO. If he can reign in some of the emotion and not berate the officials, that is fine by me. He is sometimes abrasive to the media. You know what, I would be too. Sometimes they ask dumb questions over and over again and I probably would get irritable after a while myself. The person that wrote that to Shatel needs to lighten up. I didn't want Pelini here to begin with, but I think he is doing a pretty good job with all things considered. If he continues to grow into this role, he will be fine and letters like that will become fewer and farther between.

Nicely said!

:thumbs

Someone posted the following question to Tom Shatel and you can read Shatel's reply. Amazing how people like to build up a person and then tear him down. I do like Shatel's reply.

As a long-time sports observer, and recent donor to the NU football program, I have a need to state my embarrassment as a Husker supporter. The magnitude of the situation (head coach of a high profile, major college program) is so far over Bo Pelini's head, that it's apparent something needs to be done. There are a multitude of signs that indicate that the choice to hire Bo Pelini was the wrong one. One that could possibly set the program back even further than Bill Callahan's coaching ineptitude.

How many embarrassing photos or film clips of Pelini losing control of his emotions do we need to see before we understand that he does not possess the attributes to be the face of the football program? He clearly spends too much of his time berating players, coaches, and officials during the game. After the game, he turns to bullying the media. It is understandable for a head coach to be upset at times during the heat of battle, but to not be able to compose yourself and return to coaching your team is inexcusable. It's no wonder that this is one of the more undisciplined football teams in the country, as evidenced by the number of unsportsmanlike and personal foul penalties. Pelini doesn't get it. The players take their lead from his actions. After his embarrassing actions on the sideline, Pelini carries it over to the press conferences. He cannot answer a question in full articulate sentences. It's embarrassing when your head coach, who is essentially your C.E.O., makes the comment, "if you don't like it, tough." Pelini has used that phrase multiple times this season, when asked a question that he felt questioned his authority. Disgraceful is how I would describe Pelini's mannerisms and actions.

Let's also look at how this head coach represents the university on the sideline in his choice of apparel. A Gray sweatshirt. We're not talking about going to work in a corporate boardroom, but this is still the image people across the country carry away with them when watching a Nebraska game. This image is how they judge the Nebraska football program. A group of out of control "yahoos". They see a head coach who is clearly not in control of his emotional state, wearing a sweatshirt, with a ball cap tilted back on his head. How many other major college head coaches portray such an unprofessional image?

Every season, there are a number of former coordinators that become head coaches. There are an equal number of head coaches that were former coordinators that are fired because they were not equipped with the skill sets to take on the additional responsibilities of being the head coach and be the representative face of the university. Maybe I'm quick to judge, but I feel that is the situation that we find ourselves in at Nebraska. Bo Pelini may be a defensive juggernaut as a coordinator (jury is still out on whether the talent at LSU carried him), but as a Head Coach, he is not what the University of Nebraska needs to propel us back to national prominence. He's become that embarrassing uncle at the wedding that everyone watches to see what he will do next. Do you think that the TV cameras are always on Pelini because of his charm? We all know the answer to that.

Shatel: I've had to smile at some of the e-mails and questions I've received this past week. Like this one. Bo chews gum. Bo wears a sweat shirt. Bo yells too much. Etc, etc.

All I can say is, you wanted passion and you got it. What's the big deal? Pelini was treated like a genius around here in 2003, when he was ranting and raving — and hugging players afterward (The cameras rarely show those moments). He was a coach who could "get people to play for him.'' Now he's an embarrassment? Please. I'm glad he's vocal. This program needed a kick in the pants. The only change I would have him make is to dial it down a notch. Don't spend all game yelling at officials. Be aware of your image. But, again, I don't want Bo to be stoic. He has to be Bo or he's not the coach we signed up for. Bottom line: if Nebraska wins, nobody complains about how Pelini acts. Just win, Bo.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

WOW, just WOW! you have got to be kidding me. I just spent 5 minutes of my life reading that crap. 5 minutes I will never get back. I would say to 'Mister recent donor', take your money and go elsewhere. This isn't the program for you. Bye Bye now.

You know damn well that people like this probably never played a down of football throughout their miserable lives. This guy probably only donates money to the University so he can throw his weight around a little bit and act like a big shot because he has season tickets. Listen up high speed, football coaches yell and get in your face, they stick up for their team and are passionate about what they do. They could mostly care less what they wear on the sidelines as long as they are comfortable because they are probably more pumped up and nervous than the players they coach. I for one do not judge a coach by what they wear or how they chew their damn gum! I judge a coach by the attitudes of his/hers players and how their attitude and teaching has transformed those players. Take your money and go some place else pretty boy, this is Nebraska and we could care less what you think or feel.

If all anyone has to complain about is Bo wearing a sweatshirt, I say "Get a life". There are more important issues to take care of. I bet this same donor was one of the supporters to the end of BC...oh wait, didn't BC come to a presser wearing some other color than red or white once that had everyone upset? He may not have liked BC either, I guess.

Maybe he just is the type of person that don't like anyone...including himself. Just because he donates a little money don't give him the right to set dress codes for everyone. Maybe he should take his money and shove it....after all, I heard it from the T.O.'s aquarium guy that they are going to have all sorts of money rolling in when they take all the student seating and put it on the open market...

To person who wrote this letter: SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE! Nebraska football is about a blue collar, hardworking lifestyle. Not some corporate popularity contest. He's a football coach not a presidential candidate. You were probably one of the many "fans" that said we needed a coach with fire and passion that could get these kids to play hard, well guess what! These kids are playing hard, these kids are playing with passion.

---- :yeah

Mike Nolan dressed up on the sideline and he sucked as a coach.

He is a football coach (and it seems, at the very least, a competent one). He's not an accountant, professor, or a dentist. He is a football coach!

He's only 40 (still a man) which is pretty young. We got a coach that will grow WITH the program.

This shirt sums up my feelings:

http://huskersgameday.com/?cat=453

Seriously, they gotta promote Bo's badass persona and turn it into a positive!

For e.g., during the tunnel walk, they have video on the big screen of Bo transforming from the sweatshirt/cap guy into a red and white IRON MAN. He throws the Bones and the camera pans to reveal him standing on the middle of a huge white skull and bones 'Blackshirt' emblem @ the ctr. of our field which is BLACK'

All choreographed to the 'beloved' Black Sabbath theme.

How cool would THAT be?! :bonez:steam