Cy Starts Drinking The Kool-Aid Early

I’ve already blown off the crummy year SOME of us are experiencing this year and putting the prediction machine into high gear, getting ready for 2009, when…surprise, surprise…ISU will dominate the North division!

Ha ha…surely you jest Cy! Not at all! I have poured over the returning rosters (discounting all new recruits because they will not matter a plug nickel in the scheme of things next year…) and have come up with the following results

In 2008, Iowa State has had 24 Freshmen and Sophomores playing in their 2-deep line ups. These kids gained valuable experience (in most cases, they learned how to be losers for the very first time) and will know the system and what to expect in 2009. Iowa State loses 20 Seniors this year but only six who started on a regular basis (Cy says Sumrall and Kurtis Taylor are the only two that will be missed and Sumrall not that much) This is a team that will have experience and also be playing the weak south rotation for the last time in the foreseeable future. 2009 had better be the year or Chizik is a dead man walking…

Kansas will still be semi-tough what with the majority of their play makers coming back, including Reesing. They will have to rebuild their linebacking unit though which is never and easy task. Kansas doesn’t lose a whole lot of quality to graduation. They should be able to fill the holes pretty quickly. They might provide a little competition to the mighty Cyclones…but not much.

Colorado is another team that is going to end up rebuilding their defense. Big loses on the line and at linebacker…and the defense is about all Colorado has going for it this year. I, for one, am NOT going to miss seeing Hypolite on the field. He’s a damn good player. Colorado will lose a stray O-lineman or two but, lets face it, their offense isn’t really that good this year. They have some young runners that could cause some problems for other teams next year…though not for the mighty Cyclones

Kansas State is a team that is going to have some big problems. Not only will they probably lose Freeman to the draft but they also lose both of their place kickers to graduation. Just ask Colorado how a team with crappy new kickers do…not well. They also lose Ian Campbell…the most overrated D-lineman in the league. All in all, they are going to have to fill the spaces left behind by 21 graduating seniors…and a departing HC. New players…new system…the mighty Cyclones will feast on this clowns.

Missouri will be saying goodbye to the Chases, Daniel and Coffman. I say good riddance. Tired of looking at them. They also say goodbye to QB #2, their place kicker and a couple of good DB’s and O-Linemen…19 Seniors in all. Good. Tired of them winning all the time. Still, they do have good returning skill players at WR and RB…hopefully all of them will jump to the NFL early before the mighty Cyclones have a chance to cripple them.

Sorry Nebraska but you’re going to get hit hardest of all by graduation. Ganz, Peterson, Swift, a boatload of linemen on the offense and defense...Bo might regret not getting some field time in for some of the younger guys…especially at QB. All is not lost what with the return of Helu and Suh…couple of other guys…but it’ll be hard to replace the 22 guys that are leaving with young talent and still get to the top in 2009…especially with the mighty Cyclones already up there.

Yep...I predict 2009 to be the "Year of the Cyclone!"

I dont think Our dline will hurt at all with solid replacements for both Steinkuhler (his brother), and potter (Turner) we also lose 2 on offense but murtha has missed tons of snaps so his back up is set, so really I think slausonis the main loss of all of the linemen. I thin that is not that bad. same with the WR. swift hurts... but peterson? he's a good player, but I actually think him and swift on the field at the same time is not a good thing. given the depth and experience at that position, I don't see a problem either. so that leaves QB. not a lot of experience but plenty of options and talent. plus 3 of the 4 will know the offense very very well.

I think one thing that needs to be pointed out is that at almost every position we will be replacing people with more talented guys. in some situations we will be taking a huge talent jump(ty to baker, WR's)

another loss that will not be that bad is murillo since blue(starter from 2007) will be able to step right in

with all of that said IMO the biggest difference between this 08 and 09 is the fact that bo will get this group for the entire bowl season and all of spring. I think we will see all of the penalties and mistakes disappear

Why give up already CY. I still see a big victory over Mizzou this Saturday in Ames. Pinkles good for it every season and I don't think he's pulled it yet. When was the last time Mizzery has won in Ames?? And I don't care how talented Mizzou is this year or how young the Clones are either. Playing in Ames in November is a pretty tough task.

I'm pulling hard for the Clones this weekend and for KU to beat Mizzery in Arrowhead. Hopefully NU wins out as expected then would love to see NU vs. Tech in the CCG in a very cold Arrowhead rematch. Let's see how good that pass offense is in December in the cold. I think NU would win this game.

Sorry Nebraska but you’re going to get hit hardest of all by graduation. Ganz, Peterson, Swift, a boatload of linemen on the offense and defense...Bo might regret not getting some field time in for some of the younger guys…especially at QB. All is not lost what with the return of Helu and Suh…couple of other guys…but it’ll be hard to replace the 22 guys that are leaving with young talent and still get to the top in 2009…especially with the mighty Cyclones already up there.

Yep...I predict 2009 to be the "Year of the Cyclone!"

Did you poke yourself in the head with the pointy end of the down marker?