Husker talent

bhunt7

Yes, the record has improved this year but if you were a head coach and you could pick between last years and this years roster of athletes, which do you take?

Last years --- though only for the moment and then only by a small amount.. The developed players (players who were experienced) that left the team off of last years crew were better than the incoming players that replaced them --- in that those who replaced the experience from last year, while perhaps more talented and will eventually be better (once they have the same experience level), were (and are) very young, very inexperienced and prone to errors (as often inexperienced players are.

I think that a pretty good array of redshirts will be coming in next year and the youth of this years team will have that much more experience such that next year we should improve --- the only real question is how will a raw, inexperienced QB play (whoever that may be)?

The biggest mistake made (so far --- and it is a mistake that can be potentially partially rectified in the next three games) is not playing Witt. At this juncture Witt should have had 6-7 full quarters of experience by now.

Yes, the record has improved this year but if you were a head coach and you could pick between last years and this years roster of athletes, which do you take?

Does attitude or the willingness to give it everything you have every play come into the equation? If so, this year's team....by far.

Attitude reflects leadership and Callahan and his staff wouldn't be in charge. With that said, which team would you rather take? This years or last years?

I would say they are equally talented. But when you have a block head for a coach like we've had for the last 4 years, it's hard to know.

I know this, Cally burned a lot of good talent in this program.

Burned talent, but also gained talent. Can anyone on here honestly say that when Keller went down last year everyone gave an OH CRAP and who the hell is Joe Ganz??!! He had 4 years with Cally and look at him. Also Zac Taylor was a Juco and under Cally was the Big 12 offensive player of the year. Guys like Swift, Peterson, Nunn, Brandon Jackson...etc The guy had talent but couldn't build a TEAM, that was his mistake. Talent wise are we better than last? No because most of Bo's recruits are not playing, TEAM wise YES we are better than last year.

Does attitude or the willingness to give it everything you have every play come into the equation? If so, this year's team....by far.

Attitude reflects leadership and Callahan and his staff wouldn't be in charge. With that said, which team would you rather take? This years or last years?

alright, i'll go w/ last years...albeit begrudgingly.

I would say they are equally talented. But when you have a block head for a coach like we've had for the last 4 years, it's hard to know.

Burned talent, but also gained talent. Can anyone on here honestly say that when Keller went down last year everyone gave an OH CRAP and who the hell is Joe Ganz??!! He had 4 years with Cally and look at him. Also Zac Taylor was a Juco and under Cally was the Big 12 offensive player of the year. Guys like Swift, Peterson, Nunn, Brandon Jackson...etc The guy had talent but couldn't build a TEAM, that was his mistake. Talent wise are we better than last? No because most of Bo's recruits are not playing, TEAM wise YES we are better than last year.

See I feel exactly the opposite way than you do about the Ganz situation. Ganz is way better than Keller IMO and Callahan was a complete idiot for starting Keller over Ganz. Ganz is as good as he is because he is a student of the game and he had no choice, but to keep pressing on because Callahan wouldn't have given him a chance at all if Keller wouldn't have gotten hurt. That was icing on the cake for me after the first few times I got to see Ganz play.

I do not want to in anyway belittle this team we have this year, because thay are acctually playing like one. But I have said all season, that in espeacially the linebackers corp. I wonder how those talented linebackers would have turned out under this staff. There was some real talent there no doubt, it is just to bad for THEM that it was wasted by Cally's staff.

See I feel exactly the opposite way than you do about the Ganz situation. Ganz is way better than Keller IMO and Callahan was a complete idiot for starting Keller over Ganz. Ganz is as good as he is because he is a student of the game and he had no choice, but to keep pressing on because Callahan wouldn't have given him a chance at all if Keller wouldn't have gotten hurt. That was icing on the cake for me after the first few times I got to see Ganz play.

i hear ya, Ganz never did get a shot last year b/c of golden boy keller :rollin but at the same time when he did go out in the Texas game i did a big Oh CRAP!!

Yep. Purify was wasted on Keller. Ganz steps in and figures out how to get the ball to the most talented receiver. Too bad those two never had a full year. Then you look up and realize that Nate Swift might actually be someone pretty special. Hope so, as he's going into the record books.

The top running backs all returned and have a better average behind this offensive line. Hard to mourn the loss of anyone from last year's defense, the most pourous and least aggressive defense in the history of Nebraska football. Can't always separate psychology from talent.

I'd go with this year.

Potential talent? Last year's team. Purify was a DAMN good WR. Nicks was a very good lineman. Ruud...well damn he did get drafted by a smart organization. McKweon (I think I f'd up the spelling)....remember how good he was as a soph? Bowman had a pick and TD in a game for the Bears before he got hurt! Even Tierre Green is probably equivalent if not superior to O'Hanlon. And from an NFL prototypical QB talent standpoint....Keller is probably better than Ganz.

I think in realized talent, this year's team is better. Ganz has stepped up his game big time. Swift has been one of the most reliable WRs in the Big XII and that is truly saying something. Other than a few costly mistakes (Va Tech pick to Macho Harris, beginning of OU game, TTech end of game pick) he's exceeded all of my expectations. The defense as a whole has stepped their game up. Suh is a whole new man. Potter, Steinkuhler, Sievers, Allen, they've all made solid plays. Lawrence has played adequately at least, Glenn (gonna miss ya buddy) has brought some fire to the LB corps and Dillard was good when he was healthy. The secondary....well, aside from some outstanding plays from Asante at times, it's been about what it was last year.

In sum, I think this team has realized its talent much better than last year's team, and that's truly what matters. Potential talent can easily be wasted (Lawrence Phillips, Ryan Leaf, etc. in the NFL) and I believe that has happened in the past (not just under Callahan either).