man I wish we could play MU again

melscott62

Cy some of that is more than a little decieving. Considering Iowa St when for it on 4th down 3 time and 3 times they turned it over on downs. So to say they punted once is true, but doesnt tell the whole story. The avg runs looks good until you realize that it came when MU was up big and dropped in zone coverage. When Iowa St had to run on short yardage, they couldn't. St. rarely threw the ball further than 4 -5 yrds down field. they used bubble and quick screens the whole night. There were some bigger passes they threw, but the avg attempt went for 6 yrds. Not exactly shreding the middle of the field at 10-12 a pop. THe main thing is MU gives up a ton of yrds. They are like 7th or 8th in total D in the big 12. But they are 3rd in D scoring. They give up a ton and plays and yards, not many scores. (iowa st. had 77 plays saturday) This game was never close. It was over when the MU buses showed up in Ames.

I dont really think that NU's D line has improved that much, they have just played the worst big 12 teams in sacks allowed and tackles for loss over the past 2 weeks. (9 of their 21 sacks on the season have come the last two weeks) NU has ZERO sacks against the 3 best teams they played. OU, TT & MU. BTW the only team D. Washington shreaded as much as Iowa St with his 11 carries for 128 yrs, was NE where he went for 139 on 14.

Plus you made one very key point. The NU secondary still sucks. Mu would score as easily and more often since everyone seems to agree NU would score more this time. Instead of playing the 4th quarter with backups, including the last 7 mins on the game with 3rd stringers, Mu would have hung another 14-21 pts on the board and left with 66-73 pts total.

I agree the game will be closer. But still a fairly easy win for MU. Atleast 14 pts. Probably more in the 21-24 range.

so then how much do you expect to beat KU by? 40?

I think about 21 pt game. It is all about match ups. I think the rivalry part means it will be a little closer. But if your looking for some justification about "well since NU beat Ku buy 10 and MU beat NU by 35 then MU will beat KU by 45" You KNOW it doesnt work that way. Each game is different, teams match up differently, and for a lack of better terms, s**t happens.

I see the improvement in NU offence. They are more balanced in their play calling and it seems over the last 2 weeks your offensive Cord. has learned he doesnt need to run the same 10 plays to open every game. I think NU would score more, but not keeping MU from scoring will not close the gap. When I said 21-24 pt range, that is 11-14 pts better NU's way. I think some like 52-31 is realistic dont you think...

My thoughts...NU would beat MU at this point in the season if they played again. Before anybody whines, let me tell you why:

On Saturday Missouri appeared to walk over Iowa State...but, if you watched the game you saw that the ISU offense moved the ball with ease on MU. Missouri didn't have much of an answer to 10-12 yard posts and slants right over the middle to the tight ends...it was open all day long. ISU runners averaged a little over 5 yards per carry when they ran the ball...MU only forced Iowa State to punt one time in the entire game. Arnaud gave MU one TD on an interception on one of the worst reads he's had all year and tried to force a pass into double coverage on a 3rd & goal to throw away another opportunity. The MU defense didn't stop ISU..ISU stopped themselves. Missouri never really applied much pressure on Arnaud, he had lots of time to throw.

With that in mind, NU's O-line combined with a much more potent run game and a vastly more experienced QB would likely put up a lot more numbers than ISU managed.

On the Offensive side...ISU is simply horrible this year when it comes to tackling. There is no way Derrick Washington runs off-tackle, gets hit by two guys and still manages to ramble 52 yards for a TD against the NU D-Line at this point in the year. Daniels doesn't look as sharp as he did earlier in the year (two interceptions in the same series...one called back on a penalty and then immediately followed up with another one) and the runners are having a rough time holding onto the ball...they put it on the ground 4 times Saturday and were lucky to only lose one of those. Plus, with Chase II limited with his Turf Toe injury, the offense isn't clicking on automatic like it was. MU is still excellent with the wide-outs (especially considering that the NU secondary isn't one to strike feat into the hearts of many receivers or QB's)...

All things considered, both teams would light up the scoreboard but, at this point, NU could take Missouri...the Huskers have gotten better and MU has stagnated. Next year...it's gonna suck to be an MU fan....

You know you're right Cy!

NU would beat us in a re-match and ISU actually beat us this past Saturday, scoreboards be damned.

Ludicrous.

IOWA = Idiots Out Walking Around

I think about 21 pt game. It is all about match ups. I think the rivalry part means it will be a little closer.

Everybody plays NU like it's a rivalry.

And seriously guys, NU absolutely owned Kansas. In every fundamental aspect of the game, the Jayhawks were overmatched. So let's not try and use that game as an example of how Nebraska has failed to improve, mmmkay?

Missouri isn't going to factor into a damn thing next year. Bank it.

I think about 21 pt game. It is all about match ups. I think the rivalry part means it will be a little closer.

And seriously guys, NU absolutely owned Kansas. In every fundamental aspect of the game, the Jayhawks were overmatched. So let's not try and use that game as an example of how Nebraska has failed to improve, mmmkay?

based on what? players that play now. While I'm sure you have Nebraska winning the north based on what? new recruits and redshirts who havnt stepped on a field.

Your due for disappointment with that mentality. BANK ON THAT

You know you're right Cy!

NU would beat us in a re-match and ISU actually beat us this past Saturday, scoreboards be damned.

Ludicrous.

IOWA = Idiots Out Walking Around

You do realize, of course, that the only reason Missouri exists is to keep residents of Arkansas from escaping don't you.... <_<

:worship:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

based on what? players that play now. While I'm sure you have Nebraska winning the north based on what? new recruits and redshirts who havnt stepped on a field.

Your due for disappointment with that mentality. BANK ON THAT

Based on my highly educated guesses. And trust me, the last 10 years have taught me to temper my expectations for Husker football.

I don't know who will win the conference next year. I think Missouri is a bad bet, though, even for the North.

Take a look at Kansas this year. That's Missouri next year, except with an inexperienced QB.

Well, NU will have an inexperienced QB next year. We lose what 2 or 3 OL? We lose Lucky in the backfield along with Ganz. We lose our top 2 receivers. Next year's North division could very well be a tossup. There's no reason to think Mizzou won't be in that tossup.

NU still has plenty of experience coming back on O and D lines, though. I guess I don't know what the other teams are bringing back.

To me, the loss of experience should hurt a team like Missouri more. They are all finesse, all timing. Plus they won't have a freak QB in his 8th year of running the same offense. I think there will be a huge drop off for Mizzou next year.

I am probably too optimistic, but I think the QB situation looks good, as do the RB and WR positions. And on defense, there's still really only one way to go, and that's up. Our backfield is pathetic and confused. They will improve.

Well, NU will have an inexperienced QB next year. We lose what 2 or 3 OL? We lose Lucky in the backfield along with Ganz. We lose our top 2 receivers. Next year's North division could very well be a tossup. There's no reason to think Mizzou won't be in that tossup.

I have said a number on time on this board that exact same thing. I even said (almost got sick there) that KU should be the favorite based on what they return. I just wont sit here and take a jab about how MU is going down based on what we lose when NU loses just as much if not more.

I have said a number on time on this board that exact same thing. I even said (almost got sick there) that KU should be the favorite based on what they return. I just wont sit here and take a jab about how MU is going down based on what we lose when NU loses just as much if not more.

Look at the quality of talent MU is losing next year. Think about it real had, and then tell me NU is losing just as much, if not more.

NU loses some experience on offense, but they seem to be gaining athleticism. And I'd take the Nebraska defensive line over anybody's in the North. And like I said, the corners and safeties have nowhere to go but up right now.

NU still has plenty of experience coming back on O and D lines, though. I guess I don't know what the other teams are bringing back.

To me, the loss of experience should hurt a team like Missouri more. They are all finesse, all timing. Plus they won't have a freak QB in his 8th year of running the same offense. I think there will be a huge drop off for Mizzou next year.

I am probably too optimistic, but I think the QB situation looks good, as do the RB and WR positions. And on defense, there's still really only one way to go, and that's up. Our backfield is pathetic and confused. They will improve.

Captain,

Mu returns 3 starters on the line. two backups who have seen regular time will be taking over for the two losses. We have our RB, backup TE, 3 WR's, 2 more FR WR's who have played this year making that number 5. A QB who has played this year and is in his 3rd yr is a similar offence, a incoming FR who may win the job who has run the same O since 8th grade. Mu will return 1 starting on the D line, 2 more who rotate regularly on the ends, 2 starting LB's (most of the time MU only goes with 2 LB's) and 1 starting CB. 1 saftey and 2 CB who see regular action now can fill.

MU returns an awful lot. And the all finesse thing is BS. Just because they take the ball from the shotgun and throw doesnt mean they dont smack you around. I saw plenty of your LB's and DB's on their rear ends during our game

Cy some of that is more than a little decieving. Considering Iowa St when for it on 4th down 3 time and 3 times they turned it over on downs. So to say they punted once is true, but doesnt tell the whole story. The avg runs looks good until you realize that it came when MU was up big and dropped in zone coverage. When Iowa St had to run on short yardage, they couldn't. St. rarely threw the ball further than 4 -5 yrds down field. they used bubble and quick screens the whole night. There were some bigger passes they threw, but the avg attempt went for 6 yrds. Not exactly shreding the middle of the field at 10-12 a pop. THe main thing is MU gives up a ton of yrds. They are like 7th or 8th in total D in the big 12. But they are 3rd in D scoring. They give up a ton and plays and yards, not many scores. (iowa st. had 77 plays saturday) This game was never close. It was over when the MU buses showed up in Ames.

I dont really think that NU's D line has improved that much, they have just played the worst big 12 teams in sacks allowed and tackles for loss over the past 2 weeks. (9 of their 21 sacks on the season have come the last two weeks) NU has ZERO sacks against the 3 best teams they played. OU, TT & MU. BTW the only team D. Washington shreaded as much as Iowa St with his 11 carries for 128 yrs, was NE where he went for 139 on 14.

Plus you made one very key point. The NU secondary still sucks. Mu would score as easily and more often since everyone seems to agree NU would score more this time. Instead of playing the 4th quarter with backups, including the last 7 mins on the game with 3rd stringers, Mu would have hung another 14-21 pts on the board and left with 66-73 pts total.

I agree the game will be closer. But still a fairly easy win for MU. Atleast 14 pts. Probably more in the 21-24 range.

I think about 21 pt game. It is all about match ups. I think the rivalry part means it will be a little closer. But if your looking for some justification about "well since NU beat Ku buy 10 and MU beat NU by 35 then MU will beat KU by 45" You KNOW it doesnt work that way. Each game is different, teams match up differently, and for a lack of better terms, s**t happens.

I see the improvement in NU offence. They are more balanced in their play calling and it seems over the last 2 weeks your offensive Cord. has learned he doesnt need to run the same 10 plays to open every game. I think NU would score more, but not keeping MU from scoring will not close the gap. When I said 21-24 pt range, that is 11-14 pts better NU's way. I think some like 52-31 is realistic dont you think...

no, I dont. keep in mind we pounded KU....the score was misleading if not for some crazy breaks, that game could have gotten out of hand quickly. I'm not sure I buy that matchups thing either since they are so similar to us. to me if we played again it would be a 1-2 touchdown game... with neither team showing much D. if you guys got some TO's it would be more, if we got them it would be closer. I have no doubt in my mind if we played the same way we did against t-tech you guys would be going home with an L. they are basically a better version of you guys. that being said I think the chances of us pulling out another game like that is about 5%

Look at the quality of talent MU is losing next year. Think about it real had, and then tell me NU is losing just as much, if not more.

NU loses some experience on offense, but they seem to be gaining athleticism. And I'd take the Nebraska defensive line over anybody's in the North. And like I said, the corners and safeties have nowhere to go but up right now.

this is something that I think people are forgetting. almost every loss will be filled by someone who might be short on game experience, but has been in the system, and is MUCH more talented. our WR should be able to stretch the field next year. I also think people forget about the \umerous people that are RS this year for various reasons. 2 of who were starters in 07

Mel,

allthough I though NU played well against TT. I bet if you played that game 10 more times it would not be that close again. they didnt show up for that game. They overlooked you and got punched in the mouth. GOOD for Nu for not rolling over and giving them a hell of a fight. But if you watch that game again, and watch other TT games, you will quickly see they played like crap