man I wish we could play MU again

melscott62

OU would smoke you guys just 'cause, well, they're OU and you're Nebraska.

If it makes you feel any better, all bets are off for next year's MU-NU matchup. Bo seems to have your team headed in the right direction and I don't know how dramatic the dropoff's going to be once this class of seniors graduates. I think it could go either way, with neither team getting a blowout.

Exactly what is that supposed to mean? Coming from a Missouri fan, I find that very funny.

You'll never win a conference title just 'cause, well, you're Missouri.

I'm sure he meant it about THIS year, but either way, you guys should know to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

Coming from you, I do. You post enought that I feel like I know you (not sure if that is good or bad!) :)

He probably should have chosen his words better!

edit: spelling

No I agree it sounds stupid. But its easy to sound stupid on these boards sometimes <_<

P.S. Its always a good thing to know me. :clap

OU would smoke you guys just 'cause, well, they're OU and you're Nebraska.

If it makes you feel any better, all bets are off for next year's MU-NU matchup. Bo seems to have your team headed in the right direction and I don't know how dramatic the dropoff's going to be once this class of seniors graduates. I think it could go either way, with neither team getting a blowout.

Exactly what is that supposed to mean? Coming from a Missouri fan, I find that very funny.

You'll never win a conference title just 'cause, well, you're Missouri.

I'm sure he meant it about THIS year, but either way, you guys should know to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

Coming from you, I do. You post enought that I feel like I know you (not sure if that is good or bad!) :)

He probably should have chosen his words better!

edit: spelling

No I agree it sounds stupid. But its easy to sound stupid on these boards sometimes <_<

P.S. Its always a good thing to know me. :clap

Well, OU is back to where they are dominant and just reload--like we used to be. We're coming back though, it'll take about another 3 yrs or so 'till we're on that level again. :box

You guys have improved since the Missouri game for sure. You even may beat us next season, we lose three potential 1st round draft picks to the NFL next year. Jeremy Maclin- mr. everything, William Moore- free safety and Chase Coffman- tight end who may have the best hands for a big man on the planet.

Although Gabbert has all of the physical tools he is a sophomore with no experience and he will lose two stud receivers.

There will be serious growing pains for Mizzou next year. I just hope that we face Texas Tech for the Big 12 Championship this year. We simply don't match up well with Texas or Oklahoma.

Are you guys serious?

A mediocre (at best) KU team gave your guys all they wanted in your own back yard. You slapped around a terrible Iowa State team and beat up on a K-State team that's effectively headless and now you're dreaming of a re-match with Mizzou and Oklahoma?

Put down the crack pipe.

While Mizzou is by no means an elite power, with obvious weaknesses to boot, there's no way Nebraska has covered enough ground this year to significantly change the outcome of a hypothetical re-match with the Tigers. That would require over five touchdown's worth of progress in six weeks in order to win a second game. A margin of victory that was earned in Lincoln no less. And don't forget that Pinkel took his foot off the gas too. We could have easily hung 70 on you.

I believe that Mizzou would still beat Nebraska's best game by at least 2-3 TDs. Not a route by any means, but decisive nevertheless.

OU would smoke you guys just 'cause, well, they're OU and you're Nebraska. Why on earth would you want to put your team on the field with them again? Did you not see the same game that I saw?

I agree with your post. KST was a big win and we're playing well, but MU beat us very soundly. We would have to play perfect yo beat MU. We almost beat T. Tech and that's the only thing I'm baseing that on. If we played the same gameplan and executed perfectly.

except those 2 are not on the same level. but we would still have to play really well to beat them. more than anything I want to see how much we have improved.... and I think it would be a good game. we will never know now......

Are you guys serious?

A mediocre (at best) KU team gave your guys all they wanted in your own back yard. You slapped around a terrible Iowa State team and beat up on a K-State team that's effectively headless and now you're dreaming of a re-match with Mizzou and Oklahoma?

Put down the crack pipe.

While Mizzou is by no means an elite power, with obvious weaknesses to boot, there's no way Nebraska has covered enough ground this year to significantly change the outcome of a hypothetical re-match with the Tigers. That would require over five touchdown's worth of progress in six weeks in order to win a second game. A margin of victory that was earned in Lincoln no less. And don't forget that Pinkel took his foot off the gas too. We could have easily hung 70 on you.

I believe that Mizzou would still beat Nebraska's best game by at least 2-3 TDs. Not a route by any means, but decisive nevertheless.

OU would smoke you guys just 'cause, well, they're OU and you're Nebraska. Why on earth would you want to put your team on the field with them again? Did you not see the same game that I saw?

I agree with your post. KST was a big win and we're playing well, but MU beat us very soundly. We would have to play perfect yo beat MU. We almost beat T. Tech and that's the only thing I'm baseing that on. If we played the same gameplan and executed perfectly.

except those 2 are not on the same level. but we would still have to play really well to beat them. more than anything I want to see how much we have improved.... and I think it would be a good game. we will never know now......

I think if we played Mizzou tomorrow we'd have a decent chance cuz we are playing ALOT better the last few weeks. Their O'line is their main strength: Daniel isn't very good when he has some peeps in his face and he coulda ate many many boogers before passing when they played us--i.e., we didn't put any pressure on him whatsoever. Seems like our D-line is getting better penetration these days and the 2ndary is playing a little better. :box

My thoughts...NU would beat MU at this point in the season if they played again. Before anybody whines, let me tell you why:

On Saturday Missouri appeared to walk over Iowa State...but, if you watched the game you saw that the ISU offense moved the ball with ease on MU. Missouri didn't have much of an answer to 10-12 yard posts and slants right over the middle to the tight ends...it was open all day long. ISU runners averaged a little over 5 yards per carry when they ran the ball...MU only forced Iowa State to punt one time in the entire game. Arnaud gave MU one TD on an interception on one of the worst reads he's had all year and tried to force a pass into double coverage on a 3rd & goal to throw away another opportunity. The MU defense didn't stop ISU..ISU stopped themselves. Missouri never really applied much pressure on Arnaud, he had lots of time to throw.

With that in mind, NU's O-line combined with a much more potent run game and a vastly more experienced QB would likely put up a lot more numbers than ISU managed.

On the Offensive side...ISU is simply horrible this year when it comes to tackling. There is no way Derrick Washington runs off-tackle, gets hit by two guys and still manages to ramble 52 yards for a TD against the NU D-Line at this point in the year. Daniels doesn't look as sharp as he did earlier in the year (two interceptions in the same series...one called back on a penalty and then immediately followed up with another one) and the runners are having a rough time holding onto the ball...they put it on the ground 4 times Saturday and were lucky to only lose one of those. Plus, with Chase II limited with his Turf Toe injury, the offense isn't clicking on automatic like it was. MU is still excellent with the wide-outs (especially considering that the NU secondary isn't one to strike feat into the hearts of many receivers or QB's)...

All things considered, both teams would light up the scoreboard but, at this point, NU could take Missouri...the Huskers have gotten better and MU has stagnated. Next year...it's gonna suck to be an MU fan....

Cy some of that is more than a little decieving. Considering Iowa St when for it on 4th down 3 time and 3 times they turned it over on downs. So to say they punted once is true, but doesnt tell the whole story. The avg runs looks good until you realize that it came when MU was up big and dropped in zone coverage. When Iowa St had to run on short yardage, they couldn't. St. rarely threw the ball further than 4 -5 yrds down field. they used bubble and quick screens the whole night. There were some bigger passes they threw, but the avg attempt went for 6 yrds. Not exactly shreding the middle of the field at 10-12 a pop. THe main thing is MU gives up a ton of yrds. They are like 7th or 8th in total D in the big 12. But they are 3rd in D scoring. They give up a ton and plays and yards, not many scores. (iowa st. had 77 plays saturday) This game was never close. It was over when the MU buses showed up in Ames.

I dont really think that NU's D line has improved that much, they have just played the worst big 12 teams in sacks allowed and tackles for loss over the past 2 weeks. (9 of their 21 sacks on the season have come the last two weeks) NU has ZERO sacks against the 3 best teams they played. OU, TT & MU. BTW the only team D. Washington shreaded as much as Iowa St with his 11 carries for 128 yrs, was NE where he went for 139 on 14.

Plus you made one very key point. The NU secondary still sucks. Mu would score as easily and more often since everyone seems to agree NU would score more this time. Instead of playing the 4th quarter with backups, including the last 7 mins on the game with 3rd stringers, Mu would have hung another 14-21 pts on the board and left with 66-73 pts total.

I agree the game will be closer. But still a fairly easy win for MU. Atleast 14 pts. Probably more in the 21-24 range.

Cy some of that is more than a little decieving. Considering Iowa St when for it on 4th down 3 time and 3 times they turned it over on downs. So to say they punted once is true, but doesnt tell the whole story. The avg runs looks good until you realize that it came when MU was up big and dropped in zone coverage. When Iowa St had to run on short yardage, they couldn't. St. rarely threw the ball further than 4 -5 yrds down field. they used bubble and quick screens the whole night. There were some bigger passes they threw, but the avg attempt went for 6 yrds. Not exactly shreding the middle of the field at 10-12 a pop. THe main thing is MU gives up a ton of yrds. They are like 7th or 8th in total D in the big 12. But they are 3rd in D scoring. They give up a ton and plays and yards, not many scores. (iowa st. had 77 plays saturday) This game was never close. It was over when the MU buses showed up in Ames.

I dont really think that NU's D line has improved that much, they have just played the worst big 12 teams in sacks allowed and tackles for loss over the past 2 weeks. (9 of their 21 sacks on the season have come the last two weeks) NU has ZERO sacks against the 3 best teams they played. OU, TT & MU. BTW the only team D. Washington shreaded as much as Iowa St with his 11 carries for 128 yrs, was NE where he went for 139 on 14.

Plus you made one very key point. The NU secondary still sucks. Mu would score as easily and more often since everyone seems to agree NU would score more this time. Instead of playing the 4th quarter with backups, including the last 7 mins on the game with 3rd stringers, Mu would have hung another 14-21 pts on the board and left with 66-73 pts total.

I agree the game will be closer. But still a fairly easy win for MU. Atleast 14 pts. Probably more in the 21-24 range.

so then how much do you expect to beat KU by? 40?

You guys have improved since the Missouri game for sure. You even may beat us next season, we lose three potential 1st round draft picks to the NFL next year. Jeremy Maclin- mr. everything, William Moore- free safety and Chase Coffman- tight end who may have the best hands for a big man on the planet.

Although Gabbert has all of the physical tools he is a sophomore with no experience and he will lose two stud receivers.

There will be serious growing pains for Mizzou next year. I just hope that we face Texas Tech for the Big 12 Championship this year. We simply don't match up well with Texas or Oklahoma.

I think it would be funny if MU did play TT and win the Big 12 Championship. Make no mistake about it, I'm not a Mizzou fan. However, it is pretty apparent that the BCS committee wants the Big 12 and the SEC champion to play one another for the NC. Mizzou could really mess up their plan which I'm hoping happens because we seriously need a playoff.

You must have been watching a different game...Catlett caught 6 passes over the middle for 70 yards. That's his career high...11.5 yards a pop. Houston Jones caught three between the LB's and secondary for 57 yards...close to 20 yards a catch. Hell...even Franklin caught two over the middle for 42 yards. If ISU can exploit the middle that bad on MU, what are you going to do against Bradford, McCoy or, hell, even Reesing?

Speaking of sacks...since you made a point of it....how many did MU have against ISU? I think it was...none? Hmmm...considering MU has been whoopin up on a lot of powerhouse opponents over the past four weeks (ISU - 2-9, Kansas State - 4-7, Baylor - 4-7, Colorado - 5-6) you would think your passing defense might rank somewhere other than 117th in the nation? Even ISU ranks better! Your defense is a travesty...don't even kid yourself thinking your team could compete in the upper division of the South...or even that you'll be able to continue to tread water in the North next year.

You must have been watching a different game...Catlett caught 6 passes over the middle for 70 yards. That's his career high...11.5 yards a pop. Houston Jones caught three between the LB's and secondary for 57 yards...close to 20 yards a catch. Hell...even Franklin caught two over the middle for 42 yards. If ISU can exploit the middle that bad on MU, what are you going to do against Bradford, McCoy or, hell, even Reesing?

Speaking of sacks...since you made a point of it....how many did MU have against ISU? I think it was...none? Hmmm...considering MU has been whoopin up on a lot of powerhouse opponents over the past four weeks (ISU - 2-9, Kansas State - 4-7, Baylor - 4-7, Colorado - 5-6) you would think your passing defense might rank somewhere other than 117th in the nation? Even ISU ranks better! Your defense is a travesty...don't even kid yourself thinking your team could compete in the upper division of the South...or even that you'll be able to continue to tread water in the North next year.

Cy how is our passing D going to improve when we lead by 30 at half. Because all those teams are going to come out and run right?? You threw the ball over 50 times. look at the avgs. 6 an attempt, 8 a completion. three or four throws out of 54 is not shreading. Iowa State is a rapidly improving team. You can see they are coming along. I have watched them now 4 times this year and they see to improve with every game I see.

I would say MU competed pretty darn well with OSU and really with all the turnovers we had it shouldn't have been as close as is was. I wont play a woulda/coulda/shoulda game, but for MU to play as bad as they did and be driving for the win tells you they can surely compete. Texas did kick our a** is the first half. Join the club, that happened to alot of teams from the north. As far as MU in the north. I beleive the avg score is something like 52-17. Treading water is not an issue.

As for your WR/TE Franklin caught a 25 yrd TD that was about a 4 yard pass on a blown covage and a good play call. ISU rolled everyone right, he released and came all the way back left. Austin had some good throws to the corner, one big one for around 20 I believe. But like I said it was not bam bam bam down the field. What Chase did was shred. over 10 yrds a completion. right down the field and scored td's.

***EDIT***

(I was looking for this info, but by the time I gathered it the convo had moved on. BUt Im adding it because...Well DARNIT, i spent the time to find it!)

ISU had 36 completions. 5 were caught 10 yrds or further from the l.o.s. 14 were caught between 1 and 5 yrds past the line. 9 were caught either at or behind the l.o.s. So 23 of the 36 were shorter than 5 yrds. leaving 8 between 6-9 yrds.

(thanks to the MU website and the KC an columbia papers) ;) *******************************************

ANYWAY, on a totaly different note. Were you on the sideline for the game? If so, which sideline and which chain guy? I was watching to see if I could possibly pick out the great CY