Helmet to Helmet?

Sorry, this is called football. He did NOT lower his head, lead with helmet, he did what we teach at the high school level, and that is "see what you hit".......and run through the tackle !!!!!! This was not malicious, cheap or illegal.....the only thing wrong is that he is the same height as Freeman, causing helmets to make contact.... Good hard, clean tackle, bad call !!!!!

Um, what you're describing is called spearing. It has been illegal for quite some time. He didn't spear. A few years back, it would have been considered a great hit and play. Unfortunately, the NCAA is taking one too many rules from the NFL playbook. The NFL owners have a say in their rules. I can understand why they don't want their 5 to 10 million dollar QB's taking hits like this. However, this isn't the NFL. The helmet to helmet hit in college is just another stupid penalty along with the horse collar penalty. Good grief, why don't they just put velcro flags on the QB and make it flag football?

Yeah. Don't try and skew this. Their helmets definitely hit. That pic was after they hit and his head was bouncing off.

But I'm not in support of the personal foul call. When a 6'7" guy tackles a 6'6" guy...aren't their helmets going to hit 95% of the time if a 'good fundamental hard tackle' is made on a QB? But, if Potter goes low and get his legs he's going to miss or get called for going at the knees.

Well my coach would have benched me if I tackled helmet to helmet. A good fundamental hit is putting your shoulder pad right into their midsection and driving up and back. If you try to tackle that high, a good runner will duck right under you and leave you in the dust. The key to football is staying lower than your opponent. You never want to play "high" especially when tackling or blocking someone.

Um...I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. That he didn't spear. It wasn't an illegal hit.

Uh, no he didn't spear. It was an illegal hit because the NCAA adopted a NFL rule which doesn't allow a defender to collide helmets with a QB. It's a stupid penalty, but it's a penalty none the less. Leading with the head is illegal at all times no matter whether you're running the ball or tackling. However, I believe the helmet to helmet hit is only illegal when tackling a QB unless he's out of the box.

Yeah. Don't try and skew this. Their helmets definitely hit. That pic was after they hit and his head was bouncing off.

But I'm not in support of the personal foul call. When a 6'7" guy tackles a 6'6" guy...aren't their helmets going to hit 95% of the time if a 'good fundamental hard tackle' is made on a QB? But, if Potter goes low and get his legs he's going to miss or get called for going at the knees.

Well my coach would have benched me if I tackled helmet to helmet. A good fundamental hit is putting your shoulder pad right into their midsection and driving up and back. If you try to tackle that high, a good runner will duck right under you and leave you in the dust. The key to football is staying lower than your opponent. You never want to play "high" especially when tackling or blocking someone.

Um...I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. That he didn't spear. It wasn't an illegal hit.

Uh, no he didn't spear. It was an illegal hit because the NCAA adopted a NFL rule which doesn't allow a defender to collide helmets with a QB. It's a stupid penalty, but it's a penalty none the less. Leading with the head is illegal at all times no matter whether you're running the ball or tackling. However, I believe the helmet to helmet hit is only illegal when tackling a QB unless he's out of the box.

Hmm, respectfully I would ask: why is it a 'stupid' penalty? I mean, the most severe, potentially life threatening injuries occur from blows to the head and neck. Concussions or vertebral trauma that can lead to paralysis or worse.

I think it's a good and necessary rule. No one wants to see players carted off on stretchers and wonder if the guy is gonna walk again, or die of respiratory or heart failure(yeah it's possible in extreme cases) cuz his central nervous system is damaged. What about players' families? How much do they worry about that stuff? The endless knee/ankle injuries are bad enough.

No, I'm all for hard hitting, but I'm also all for protecting players from unnecessary tragedy. ;)

I would have to say that I agree with most of what you have said. If he would have hit him lower than there wouldn't have been a question about the hit and no penalty. The only problem is that, IMO he didn't hit him helmet to helmet, but just hit him so hard that he probably has whip lash right now. It was a big time hit, but if his technique would have been better it would have never of been called. He is still a monster though, and playing really well!!

Hmm, respectfully I would ask: why is it a 'stupid' penalty? I mean, the most severe, potentially life threatening injuries occur from blows to the head and neck. Concussions or vertebral trauma that can lead to paralysis or worse.

I think it's a good and necessary rule. No one wants to see players carted off on stretchers and wonder if the guy is gonna walk again, or die of respiratory or heart failure(yeah it's possible in extreme cases) cuz his central nervous system is damaged. What about players' families? How much do they worry about that stuff? The endless knee/ankle injuries are bad enough.

No, I'm all for hard hitting, but I'm also all for protecting players from unnecessary tragedy. ;)

With the helmets of today and the technology, I don't think a helmet to helmet when the facemasks are both up is a vicious hit at all. I think we can all understand why spearing is illegal (head down, leading with the head) because that type of hit does cause spinal and neck injuries. Spearing has been illegal for as long as I can remember. I've been hit face mask to face mask before and then bounced off and run for more yards. The only concussion I ever sustained was when a guy put his shoulder pad into my gut. He hit me so hard and drove me so hard into the ground that my head bounced when it hit the turf which caused the concussion.

I've seen more QB's get hurt when a blitzing LB hits them on their blindside right in the rib cage than I've ever seen get hit helmet to helmet. This is why I think it's a stupid penalty. Like I said above, if you don't want the QB's to get hurt just put flags on them and call it flag football.

With the helmets of today and the technology, I don't think a helmet to helmet when the facemasks are both up is a vicious hit at all. I think we can all understand why spearing is illegal (head down, leading with the head) because that type of hit does cause spinal and neck injuries. Spearing has been illegal for as long as I can remember. I've been hit face mask to face mask before and then bounced off and run for more yards. The only concussion I ever sustained was when a guy put his shoulder pad into my gut. He hit me so hard and drove me so hard into the ground that my head bounced when it hit the turf which caused the concussion.

I've seen more QB's get hurt when a blitzing LB hits them on their blindside right in the rib cage than I've ever seen get hit helmet to helmet. This is why I think it's a stupid penalty. Like I said above, if you don't want the QB's to get hurt just put flags on them and call it flag football.

Would have to disagree. Have seen a number of guys this year--college and pro--get carted off the field on stretchers. That rcvr from OSU who's on the AZ Cards took a hellacious helmet hit to the head earlier this year; think it knocked him out cold. They brought the stretcher in and it was pretty touch and go for a few days. Guess he recovered.

What about that rcvr from WI last weekend? Didn't he get hit in the head?

The hit to Freeman wasn't too far removed from that, not quite as hard and direct, but his head whipped back pretty bad and some speculate if that's what took him out of the game later. Their helmets DID collide as replay verified(at least that's what I saw). UNINTENTIONAL!

Whatever, I think it's a good rule, for QBs and everyone else on the field. I think the horse collar one is good to.

You are right though, those blindside hits to the back are pretty lethal too.....

I don't think so...

img8425dn9.jpg

You can see the members of the band in between the helmets of Freeman and Potter. Horrible call that could of cost us right before the half.

That's amazing! How the hell was that lineman able to balance the football on his helmet like that? Talk about hidden talent!

Oh..the hit? We called that "football" when I was growing up.... <_<

I don't think so...

img8425dn9.jpg

You can see the members of the band in between the helmets of Freeman and Potter. Horrible call that could of cost us right before the half.

That's amazing! How the hell was that lineman able to balance the football on his helmet like that? Talk about hidden talent!

Oh..the hit? We called that "football" when I was growing up.... <_<

OH, ty for the clarification, I thought that was the ref's 'stupid face'! :dumdum

That balance thing must be the result of one of Prince's ingenius ball skills exercises thaaat.....he got fired for! :w00t