WHo was the BEST NU QB ever?

I think I would have to agree with Tommie Frazier. No other Husker QB captained more NC teams, although there were other players on the field when Tommie was there.

I agree that Turner Gill should get a more serious consideration, also agree with Jerry Tagge because if you look at the threats he had and the ability he had to use them, he has to rank right up there. The nod should still go to Frazier, though. If anyone wants proof you should look no further than that 94 and 95 Orange Bowls as well as the 96 Fiesta. Kid was sick.

If you think it's Crouch or Frazier remember the teams in 1992-1995 were different then 1998-2001. Obviously Frazier's teams were better which made him look so much better than he would be with todays team. Eric Crouch didn't have the blocking and speed of the offense like Frazier did and still pulled off with a heisman. Yes, i know Frazier should have too but he didn't.

QUOTE(holvy83 @ Nov 18 2008, 05:30 PM)

QUOTE(zE bOp @ Nov 18 2008, 04:08 PM)

Best QBs who decided at the last minute to NOT go to NE or got g@y and transferred and maybe didn't play QB anymore:

1. Blaine Gabbert

2. Josh Freeman

3. Harrison Beck

4. Joe Daily

don't forget Curt Dukes....totally lame

Whoa, forgot all about that guy....

I don't know about Dukes. I used to work for his sister (who happens to be ridiculously hot) and she talked about how he really wanted to redhshirt and develop, but Solich wanted to throw him into the fire. When Callahan finally showed, it was over. Just seems like a bad situation for a guy who wanted to get better before being thrown to the dogs.

Wow. Van Brownson. Thanks for the memory. That guy was fun to watch and we loved pretending to be Van playing sandlot ball. He'd run down the line then jump up and throw the ball, almost like a basketball jump shot. He and Tagge were co-QBs for a long stretch. I don't think Tagge got full control of the team until his senior year.

And if championships are your critereon, Tagge has the edge on Berringer and Frost and is tied with Frazier.

Humm was our first passing phenom, but after a promising soph season he went downhill and wasn't even starting some games his senior year. I remember him throwing 4 interceptions in the first half of our bowl game against Florida and his back up (Lucky? Runty?) stepped in and won the game.

Ferragamo didn't have a full career at NU but he played the NFL style vertical game throwing to guys like Frosty Anderson. It was fun while it lasted.

Almost forgot about Gdowski. Not in the top 5 but definitely worth a tip of the hat. Same with Steve Taylor, who did a pretty decent Turner Gill imitation.

Wow. Van Brownson. Thanks for the memory. That guy was fun to watch and we loved pretending to be Van playing sandlot ball. He'd run down the line then jump up and throw the ball, almost like a basketball jump shot. He and Tagge were co-QBs for a long stretch. I don't think Tagge got full control of the team until his senior year.

And if championships are your critereon, Tagge has the edge on Berringer and Frost and is tied with Frazier.

Humm was our first passing phenom, but after a promising soph season he went downhill and wasn't even starting some games his senior year. I remember him throwing 4 interceptions in the first half of our bowl game against Florida and his back up (Lucky? Runty?) stepped in and won the game.

Ferragamo didn't have a full career at NU but he played the NFL style vertical game throwing to guys like Frosty Anderson. It was fun while it lasted.

Almost forgot about Gdowski. Not in the top 5 but definitely worth a tip of the hat. Same with Steve Taylor, who did a pretty decent Turner Gill imitation.

Was Runty.

I was never a big Van Bronson fan, he seemed kinda sporatic if I remember correctly, but I guess he was more mobile than Tagge. Hey, we won the NC, so Devaney musta known what he was doing.

I think you have to put Tagge in the 3 spot behind Tommie and Turner. The NC teams had great Ds which is what separated them from the teams of Turner and Crouch.

Tough question. Do you go with the championship QBs (Frazier, Tagge, Frost) for the obvious reasons of talent+leadership, or some who either didn't have the best defense behind him (Gill, specifically in 1983) or a one-man show who took NU further than they should have gone, and fell off drastically after he left (Crouch), or other guys with less talent behind them (Gdowski), or others.

I go with Frazier, on his ability to run the option, make the pass when needed, and leadership. I never felt like we would lose a game with him in there.

Gill and Crouch are close behind.

Part of the reason for those 3 is the career...3 or 4 years of very good play turning into greatness.

i'm still confused as to how he never won the heisman?

anyone care to explain?

I think it had a lot to do with Lawrence Phillips being the front runner early in the season. IIRC, his first two games were 200+ yarders, before the assault. He was looking like he would have a Rozier-like year, and Frazier would be like Gill, in the background.

Once Phillips was out of the running, it took awhile before Frazier got traction. I think it was tough for many to believe that there could be two very legit candidates at Nebraska, plus Frazier really didn't have gaudy stats. He was nowhere near 1000 yards rushing, nor did he reach 2000 total yards. Eddie George became the favorite and never played his way out.

Remember too, Frazier's signature game vs. Florida came after the Heisman was awarded.

Damn someone got Keith McCants in on me. Can I give a Beau Davis shout out. Got thrown into a bad situation and never got a look at again by Clownahan. Could ran home or somewhere else to start over anew but has stuck it out. Props Beau :horns2 , plus put him in that passer rating can only go up!!

Best QB's never to show on campus would be Donovan McNabb and an all-star outfielder named Carl Crawford, the kid would have destroyed opponents.