BCS or Playoff System

theneguy95

If college football were a business that had to rely on profits and fan participation to survive, how would that business be doing now? Has college football ever had so much success as it has had over the last few years? If you were the owner of the business, why would you change something that is working so well and making money? Why take the chance of making something people want to buy - the regular season - into something only the diehard fans may watch each and every week.

IMO, College football is special because of the regular season. I may be in the minority here, but I like the way it is set up now.

I agree 100%.

College football is special because every game matters. I'm afraid a playoff would make it NFL Lite. Does anyone remember who won the Super Bowl two or three years ago? But 10 years later I still argue with my friends in Michigan over who would have won, Michigan or Nebraska.

Thats the worst bowl system arguement I've ever heard. You can't remember who won the superbowl but still argue over who would've won a game that never happened? Why didn't that game happen? Oh yeah, the bowl system sucks. I'd rather watch the game than argue about it.

How about a system where the game actually happened?

and I'm sure we all remember who won all of those meaningless bowl games. At least if 1 of those teams was going to advance to another "bowl game" the next week for the next round of the play offs they'd be interesting to someone other than the fan bases of 2 6-win schools.

The idea that a playoff makes the regular season less important also fails, as EVERY OTHER SPORT HAS A PLAY OFF AND YOU HAVE TO WIN IN THE REGULAR SEASON TO PLAY IN IT!!

Here's hoping they get it right in my lifetime.

If college football were a business that had to rely on profits and fan participation to survive, how would that business be doing now? Has college football ever had so much success as it has had over the last few years? If you were the owner of the business, why would you change something that is working so well and making money? Why take the chance of making something people want to buy - the regular season - into something only the diehard fans may watch each and every week.

IMO, College football is special because of the regular season. I may be in the minority here, but I like the way it is set up now.

I agree 100%.

College football is special because every game matters. I'm afraid a playoff would make it NFL Lite. Does anyone remember who won the Super Bowl two or three years ago? But 10 years later I still argue with my friends in Michigan over who would have won, Michigan or Nebraska.

Thats the worst bowl system arguement I've ever heard. You can't remember who won the superbowl but still argue over who would've won a game that never happened? Why didn't that game happen? Oh yeah, the bowl system sucks. I'd rather watch the game than argue about it.

How about a system where the game actually happened?

and I'm sure we all remember who won all of those meaningless bowl games. At least if 1 of those teams was going to advance to another "bowl game" the next week for the next round of the play offs they'd be interesting to someone other than the fan bases of 2 6-win schools.

The idea that a playoff makes the regular season less important also fails, as EVERY OTHER SPORT HAS A PLAY OFF AND YOU HAVE TO WIN IN THE REGULAR SEASON TO PLAY IN IT!!

Here's hoping they get it right in my lifetime.

for the most part, :yeah

Man..

I didn't want to open this thread..I tend to get long winded..Finger cramps and I need to save them for tonight.

I now just use this debate as a litmus test to weed out the people that aren't smarter than most.

(I lost a lot of respect for Obama after hearing one of the first things he wanted to do was get the NCAA to get div. 1 playoffs ...to tarnish the only sport I follow).

If you want to see playoffs, Watch the NFL..Or the other divisions...Is it a coincidence that Div.1 FB is the most followed form of Football?

It's the only one that comes close to rewarding the team that had the best season..Not just who got hot after November.

I love putting Mechiken and State Penn fans in their place even after all these years about why they were too scared to play us or how we would have obliterated them.

Not nearly as much fun if you had to prove it..or worse...had them beat you in a "fluky" game.

It's the controversy, baby.

Keeps us coming back for more.

I was debating this with some coworkers today and one of them said, "Nebraska would have a chance if it were a 32 team playoff system." I know the main arguments of it taking away the importance of regular season games, it giving a 4 loss team a chance to win it all when an undefeated team has an off game. I just don't really know exactly how I feel about it. I like the BCS just because it does make every game an important one. I would like to have no human polls though. Let computers decide it based off stats, facts, strength of schedule, etc. BUT no extra points be given for running up the score past maybe 35 points or so. Interested in you opinions...

GBR

I think we ought to get rid of polls altogether. Forget about the NC because no matter what system you use somebody will always whine. Just let teams play for theior conference title and Bowl games be the reward for a good season. That's the way it should be. End the controversy once and for all.

Frankly, the whole debate is just retarded.

I don't think the debate is a retarded debate at all. I think it's interesting and definately something to read during a bye week when we're all waiting... and waiting... and waiting... It just feeds Husker 37's point that it's all about controversy and Husker 37 is right that it is no coincidence that div 1 college football is the most followed form of football. Why mess with a good thing? I like it the way it is now though because I don't want to see them get carried away in a full blown playoff. Like I said maybe an extra game if there is something between tow teams like Nebraska and Michigan when it was a shared title and only go off of computers, but I'd be fine with it never changing in my lifetime. All that matters is that one way or another NU earns it and NU wins it all in due time. GBR

I love putting Mechiken and State Penn fans in their place even after all these years about why they were too scared to play us or how we would have obliterated them.

Not nearly as much fun if you had to prove it..or worse...had them beat you in a "fluky" game.

OK, there's another vote for talking about it, rather than playing the game.

And who is it that's too scared to lose the game?

"I now just use this debate as a litmus test to weed out the people that aren't smarter than most."

OK smart guy. OU is killing TT who beat Texas who beat OU. Since you are so smart- who is the best team? Who should represent the B12 in a title shot? Or should it be USC or another 1 loss team? I guess I'm not bright enough to figure out how to determine the best team in a competitive sport without competition.

"If you want to see playoffs, Watch the NFL..Or the other divisions...Is it a coincidence that Div.1 FB is the most followed form of Football?"

Div. 1 FB popularity has nothing to do with the bowls. Has to do with the fact that there is at least 1 D1 college team, often more, in every state. Everybody can find a team to cheer for. Combine that with the fact that many of these schools have been playing each other longer than the NFL has been around and there you have.

Now, could someone smart enough to see why college footballl playoffs would be the greatest thing ever tell me how to use multiple and smaller quotes from previous posts in my own?

IMO all arguments against a playoff are bogus. ...

...So you can trot out any argument you want but if The univ. chancellors and presidents don't change their ways and make a major effort to institute a fair and rational system, then they should get NO support from us either. That goes double for Beebe too, one of the worst of the bunch if you ask me.

?

OK, there's another vote for talking about it, rather than playing the game.

And who is it that's too scared to lose the game?

Sorry..I didn't think I needed to include the :sarcasm thingie..Of course I would've LOVED to play PSU or UM in those years (Why I'd almost be on the bandwagon for a "Plus one" thing)...And the "smarter than most" was really a poor choice of phrase..Probably at least 89% of the fans would want a playoff..

And I'n not nearly as smart as I'd like to be..And barely as smart as I think I are. <_<

But looking at the "Big Picture" thing...Not so sure I'd want Div.1 playoffs.

Some people think we were better off before the BCS thing came along..I think it was a good compromise and wish it would have been in force in time to enable us to play Mechiken in '97..(Or Jan,'98).

The only thing I remember about the SuperBowl last year (besides the commercials) was that the team that would normally beat the other team 68% of the time..lost.

"I now just use this debate as a litmus test to weed out the people that aren't smarter than most."

OK smart guy. OU is killing TT who beat Texas who beat OU. Since you are so smart- who is the best team? Who should represent the B12 in a title shot? Or should it be USC or another 1 loss team? I guess I'm not bright enough to figure out how to determine the best team in a competitive sport without competition.

"If you want to see playoffs, Watch the NFL..Or the other divisions...Is it a coincidence that Div.1 FB is the most followed form of Football?"

Div. 1 FB popularity has nothing to do with the bowls. Has to do with the fact that there is at least 1 D1 college team, often more, in every state. (Except R.I., Maine?, S.Dak., N.Dakota, Montanna, Kansas, VT, NH,..etc.) Everybody can find a team to cheer for. Combine that with the fact that many of these schools have been playing each other longer than the NFL has been around and there you have.

Now, could someone smart enough to see why college footballl playoffs would be the greatest thing ever tell me how to use multiple and smaller quotes from previous posts in my own?

Well..I'm not smart enough to see playoffs as being a good thing, so I'll turn my Mensa card over for now..but try highlighting the area you want quoted, then pressing the button next (left) to the # button directly above this white plane..(If you're on the reply page).

The Rock U./Paper State/Scissors A&M (OU/TT/UT) you mentioned proves my point from another thread(s) on this subject..The Playoff thing would be meaningless because the "best team" doesn't ALWAYS win.

Does anyone really think the team that won the SB last season(Don't make me look it up)..Was the best team last year?

Plus...So much would depend on who you drew as an opponent. (See Rock/Paper/Scissors).

Having what most "Feel" the best two teams meet in a M(ythical)NC game only once in awhile..Makes it all that much more special.

Sort of like the "Easy" girl in high school...

Sure, she was fun for the first few wrassling matches..But you always ended up pining for the one that only let you see her bra and panties in the laundry basket.

(Oh..And I think OU and USC are the two best teams this year..But I don't think USC should represent the B-12 in a title shot).

Div. 1 FB popularity has nothing to do with the bowls.

I disagree.

How many CU fans do you think would show up for our game if a Bowl trip weren't on the line?..Well..Other than the pee or snowball throwers.

The part about the Bowl being a big season ending party that we almost always were a part of got us a lot of recruits.

And so many other games are made important because it meant a more better Bowl game.

You can't rest your best players in the last one or two games simply because you're already assured home field advantage mathematically.

I don't think the debate is a retarded debate at all. I think it's interesting and definately something to read during a bye week when we're all waiting... and waiting... and waiting... It just feeds Husker 37's point that it's all about controversy and Husker 37 is right that it is no coincidence that div 1 college football is the most followed form of football. Why mess with a good thing? I like it the way it is now though because I don't want to see them get carried away in a full blown playoff. Like I said maybe an extra game if there is something between tow teams like Nebraska and Michigan when it was a shared title and only go off of computers, but I'd be fine with it never changing in my lifetime. All that matters is that one way or another NU earns it and NU wins it all in due time. GBR

No, it *IS* retarded. 20 years ago nobody talked about it. The sports media starts their crap about picking a 'true' national champion and people jump on the bandwagon. What did we get? the BCS. That worked well didn't it?

So the BCS isn't good enough, now sports media hypes a playoff...again people jump on the bandwagon. But will it solve anything? Nope. All that happens then is people whine when their team misses the playoffs by a game and the media starts it's hype machine all over again. This is about ratings, not settling things on the field. When you finally get the playoffs, they'll need something else to hype to keep their ratings up. What will it be then?

'Well, the playoffs aren't fair because this conference is better than that one so they should hgave more teams in' or The conferences are to small to get a true picture since the teams play only 12 games... whatever else they come up with.

Retarded.

Just get rid of the polls and let the Bowls be a reward for a great season. Then your regular season becomes the only playoff you need.

Man..

I didn't want to open this thread..I tend to get long winded..Finger cramps and I need to save them for tonight.

I now just use this debate as a litmus test to weed out the people that aren't smarter than most.

(I lost a lot of respect for Obama after hearing one of the first things he wanted to do was get the NCAA to get div. 1 playoffs ...to tarnish the only sport I follow).

If you want to see playoffs, Watch the NFL..Or the other divisions...Is it a coincidence that Div.1 FB is the most followed form of Football?

It's the only one that comes close to rewarding the team that had the best season..Not just who got hot after November.

- Oklahoma lost to Texas early in the season. They have been hot ever since. They are now ranked #3.

- Florida lost to Ole Miss early in the season. They have been hot ever since. They are now ranked #4.

- USC lost to Oregon State early in the season. They have been hot ever since. They are now ranked #5.

- Alabama has been undefeated all season long. Assuming they lose to Florida in the SEC Championship - which I believe they will - they will no longer be in the Championship race.

- Texas Tech was undefeated all season long. They lost to Oklahoma in a game that took place Saturday and they will no longer be in the Championship race.

- Penn State was undefeated all season long. They lost to Iowa a couple weeks ago and they will no longer be in the Championship race.

Assuming you meant "in November" and not "after November", I argue that even with the current system in college football, more emphasis is still on "who is hot and who is not" during the last three or four games of the regular season (and of course, conference championships) and not on how the team performed all 12 games.

The system comes close, but still fails to consider the whole season. And I also argue that some teams are in there simply because of their name, and not who their wins-losses were against.

The only way I would want a playoff would be if it was kept to eight teams and they were selected based on their BCS ranking. Otherwise, leave it alone.

And I do not want any politicians getting involved in sports. They mess up other things in my life enough, leave my sports alone!

Man..

- Oklahoma lost to Texas early in the season. They have been hot ever since. They are now ranked #3.

- Florida lost to Ole Miss early in the season. They have been hot ever since. They are now ranked #4.

- USC lost to Oregon State early in the season. They have been hot ever since. They are now ranked #5.

- Alabama has been undefeated all season long. Assuming they lose to Florida in the SEC Championship - which I believe they will - they will no longer be in the Championship race.

- Texas Tech was undefeated all season long. They lost to Oklahoma in a game that took place Saturday and they will no longer be in the Championship race.

- Penn State was undefeated all season long. They lost to Iowa a couple weeks ago and they will no longer be in the Championship race.

Assuming you meant "in November" and not "after November", I argue that even with the current system in college football, more emphasis is still on "who is hot and who is not" during the last three or four games of the regular season (and of course, conference championships) and not on how the team performed all 12 games.

The system comes close, but still fails to consider the whole season. And I also argue that some teams are in there simply because of their name, and not who their wins-losses were against.

The only way I would want a playoff would be if it was kept to eight teams and they were selected based on their BCS ranking. Otherwise, leave it alone.

And I do not want any politicians getting involved in sports. They mess up other things in my life enough, leave my sports alone!

Very True..But like I said..It's the only one that "comes close" (Relatively)..Not that it's close at all..But a playoff would even further devalue the early part of the season...It seems that the last decade or so, the polls have been more forgiving for late losses (TT only fell from #2 to #7).

If we ever DID go the playoff route (And even if we didn't) I'd really like to see us play everyone in the Big-12 every year..and do away with the conference championship game. If we miss a non-conference game or two, so be it.

It would be unnecessary to have a B12CG if everyone played everyone else in the conference.

And if the BCS is going to limit each conference to only TWO teams, why have one of them "back in" with a loss in their last game?

Also..If you do have playoffs..The only way to help the odds of having the best team at the end is have the playoff contenders play each other a "best of three".

Preseason er I mean..Regular season games can count if they already played once.

Lets go back to the way the bowls use to be before BcS. Back then, not only did every regular season game count, but there was no conference championship game for some select conferences, and EVERY BOWL GAME COUNTED! You had to watch them all on New Years to see how the whole thing unfolded. I had a lot of great childhood memories about the bowl games when I was younger.