BCS or Playoff System

theneguy95

I was debating this with some coworkers today and one of them said, "Nebraska would have a chance if it were a 32 team playoff system." I know the main arguments of it taking away the importance of regular season games, it giving a 4 loss team a chance to win it all when an undefeated team has an off game. I just don't really know exactly how I feel about it. I like the BCS just because it does make every game an important one. I would like to have no human polls though. Let computers decide it based off stats, facts, strength of schedule, etc. BUT no extra points be given for running up the score past maybe 35 points or so. Interested in you opinions...

GBR

I was debating this with some coworkers today and one of them said, "Nebraska would have a chance if it were a 32 team playoff system." I know the main arguments of it taking away the importance of regular season games, it giving a 4 loss team a chance to win it all when an undefeated team has an off game. I just don't really know exactly how I feel about it. I like the BCS just because it does make every game an important one. I would like to have no human polls though. Let computers decide it based off stats, facts, strength of schedule, etc. BUT no extra points be given for running up the score past maybe 35 points or so. Interested in you opinions...

GBR

I hate this question because it is never going to happen. every year around this time every is alsways saying how a playoff would be so nice but hello.... wont happen next, or the following, or the following, etc.... It would be nice to have the playoff though but it would be a 8 team playoff if there ever was. never a 32. thats to big.

32 teams is ridiculous, and the fact that Nebraska would be in contention doesn't make it any less so, because we've got absolutely no claim to it.

Hopefully we'll soon be back up towards the top to where we don't want the #32 to have any claim to the championship. This isn't basketball, where you can play two games in a weekend and get through a 64 team tourney in a reasonable time.

As far as playoffs making regular season games meaningless, you just have to include byes and/or home field advantage for early games, and then every game remains important. Something like this:

12 team playoff

1st round:

1-4 get byes

5-8 play at home vs 9-12

2nd round:

1-4 play at home vs winners of 1st round

semis and finals at major bowl sites, if we need to keep them in the loop. The 4th bowl gets their pick of who didn't make the playoffs, the "We Didn't Get A Chance!" Bowl. Rotate the bowls yearly.

Keep the other bowls for the other teams that didn't make the playoffs.

32 teams is ridiculous, and the fact that Nebraska would be in contention doesn't make it any less so, because we've got absolutely no claim to it.

Hopefully we'll soon be back up towards the top to where we don't want the #32 to have any claim to the championship. This isn't basketball, where you can play two games in a weekend and get through a 64 team tourney in a reasonable time.

As far as playoffs making regular season games meaningless, you just have to include byes and/or home field advantage for early games, and then every game remains important. Something like this:

12 team playoff

1st round:

1-4 get byes

5-8 play at home vs 9-12

2nd round:

1-4 play at home vs winners of 1st round

semis and finals at major bowl sites, if we need to keep them in the loop. The 4th bowl gets their pick of who didn't make the playoffs, the "We Didn't Get A Chance!" Bowl. Rotate the bowls yearly.

Keep the other bowls for the other teams that didn't make the playoffs.

This idea would be good...except you would have backlash from the rest of the bowls. Some how you have to incorporate the bowls into the system so they get a share of the money...even though it wouldn't be like what they are getting now. The money wouldn't be the same because you wouldn't know until a week before who was going to be in your bowl...hard to hype it in a week. The bowls that aren't part of the play off would feel screwed, and there are major bowls that would insist on being a part of the playoff every year. The politics would be terrible, therefore it will never happen.

IMO all arguments against a playoff are bogus. The real question is, do we want the sport we love to have the same amount a credibility as say pro wrestling? Where the higher ups decide who is "worthy". Or do we want to finally have a legit system that rewards a team for actually winning ON THE FIELD!!!

All arguments, whether it be the "too much missed class argument", the "what do we do with the other bowls?", or the most rediculous of all "the regular season is a defacto playoff" argument are all just smoke screens to hide the real problem with Div I football, greed!

So you can trot out any argument you want but if The univ. chancellors and presidents don't change their ways and make a major effort to institute a fair and rational system, then they should get NO support from us either. That goes double for Beebe too, one of the worst of the bunch if you ask me.

If college football were a business that had to rely on profits and fan participation to survive, how would that business be doing now? Has college football ever had so much success as it has had over the last few years? If you were the owner of the business, why would you change something that is working so well and making money? Why take the chance of making something people want to buy - the regular season - into something only the diehard fans may watch each and every week.

IMO, College football is special because of the regular season. I may be in the minority here, but I like the way it is set up now.

Always a fun topic. :)

-I would take all 11 conference champs plus 1 at large bid.(Big XII, SEC, ACC, Big 10/11, CUSA, MAC, WAC, BIG East, MWC, SB)

-If Notre Dame would like to participate, they would need to join a conference.

-Computer and Human polls would determine at large bid. Tournament field would use same system for seeding purposes.

-Top 4 teams receive bye week.

-Pairings: 1-4 bye, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, 8v9

-First round played at home field of higher seeded teams.

-Second round played at BCS bowl locations, 1-4 v winners of round one.

-Third round played at BCS bowl locations.

-Championship Game.

6 BCS locations will be needed so 2 will need to be added (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Gator)

Championship Game locations could be played at any of these on a rotating schedule or possibly a larger venue. (unused NFL stadium)

All other preexisting bowls can invite any team not involved with the Championship (ala NIT).

-I would take all 11 conference champs plus 1 at large bid.(Big XII, SEC, ACC, Big 10/11, CUSA, MAC, WAC, BIG East, MWC, SB)

-Computer and Human polls would determine at large bid. Tournament field would use same system for seeding purposes.

-Championship Game.

6 BCS locations will be needed so 2 will need to be added (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Gator)

Championship Game locations could be played at any of these on a rotating schedule or possibly a larger venue. (unused NFL stadium)

All other preexisting bowls can invite any team not involved with the Championship (ala NIT).

Problem with this is only 1 SEC or B12 team in the playoff? Doesn't really reflect who the best teams are and thats what a playoff should do.

If CFB ever does get its head out of its a$$ a have a playoff I'd send the wife and kids to grandma's and watch nothing but......

If college football were a business that had to rely on profits and fan participation to survive, how would that business be doing now? Has college football ever had so much success as it has had over the last few years? If you were the owner of the business, why would you change something that is working so well and making money? Why take the chance of making something people want to buy - the regular season - into something only the diehard fans may watch each and every week.

IMO, College football is special because of the regular season. I may be in the minority here, but I like the way it is set up now.

If you were a business making money, you wouldn't look for better ways to make more money? I sure would. I would be looking at other models and see how they work. March Madness looks to be doing very well, and doesn't seem to hurt the regular season. So is the College World Series, for a sport that has a very small following in college. I think removing the CWS would make that following even smaller.

Like I said, you have to keep teams motivated to stay in the top 4 or top 8 to make the regular season meaningful. One loss, and you maybe you don't get a bye, or a home game.

And as far as the championship goes, there really are only a few meaningful games out there right now. TT at OU, the Big 12 championship game, and the SEC championship game. Certainly any Big East, Big 10, ACC or Pac 10 game that has meaning only to fill the remaining BCS games would have a lot more meaning if it meant getting a spot in a playoff.

How would a playoff make the NU-CU game any less meaningful? And there are plenty of other games around the country that will have a strong following, even though teams have no chance for a bowl, or are positioning for a minor bowl. I don't see how a playoff would change that.

How about this? Keep the BCS...stay with me here. All teams move one of their non-conf games to the end of the season. To save any last minute scheduling nightmares, mid-way through the season, after there is a somewhat, I stress somewhat idea of who the competing teams are in the top 25-30, use that last game to play a top team in another conference. With the extra possibility of another loss on a team's schedule, there won't be such a grind at the top of the BCS at year's end.

-Championship Game.

Problem with this is only 1 SEC or B12 team in the playoff? Doesn't really reflect who the best teams are and thats what a playoff should do.

If CFB ever does get its head out of its a$$ a have a playoff I'd send the wife and kids to grandma's and watch nothing but......

I totally see where you're coming from, the same point is made when discussing this with my friends.

Then I counter with, win your conference and all will be well...back and forth, back and forth. Then we reach the conclusion that there are just TOO MANY low quality teams in Div I and that a restructuring is needed.

GBR

Agree with every point you made.

And for those screaming about DETERMINING THE BEST TEAM ON THE FIELD, that's excactly what computer rankings do: who have you beaten and to whom have you lost, and who have those teams beaten and to whom have they lost.