Shawn Watson

np_husker

Steven M. Sipple: Watson enhancing his coaching resume

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson possesses several attributes that would come in handy as a major-college head coach, says Gary Barnett, Watson’s friend and former boss.

Barnett, the former Colorado head coach, says Watson is extremely organized and has a personality that makes him effective as both a leader and recruiter.

It’s evident that Watson can coach offense rather well.

Yes, Watson has recently discussed his desire to become a head coach.

“He doesn’t want to take just any job,” Barnett told me Saturday. “It’s got to be a good fit for him. He’s deeply loyal to Nebraska.”

Barnett’s comments regarding Watson’s loyalty to Nebraska jibe with everything Watson has ever told me. Watson has deep respect for both Husker head coach Bo Pelini and athletic director Tom Osborne. Watson has said he would be happy to finish his career in Lincoln.

At the same time, one could understand if the 49-year-old Watson is becoming a little antsy about taking his career to another level. At his age, time is of the essence. In past interviews, he has made no bones about wanting to be a head coach again (he had a record of 11-22 from 1994-96 as head coach at Southern Illinois, his alma mater).

His excellent work with Nebraska’s offense this season would seem to make Watson a legitimate head coaching prospect. Don’t be surprised if he lands an interview or two soon, assuming he hasn’t already.

The Huskers, 7-4 and 4-3 in the Big 12, are ninth nationally in total offense, averaging 462.9 yards per game. The success of the Big Red reclamation project is starting to gain notice nationally. Win two more games, and NU seems likely to land in the national Top 25.

Nebraska fans watched Watson’s performance closely this season, wondering how well the offense would operate without Bill Callahan, who was always at the controls.

Through five games this season, Nebraska’s offense was inconsistent. Watson, though, made deft changes, deciding late in the fifth game (a 52-17 loss to Missouri) to spread the field more.

“We were kind of at a crossroads, where we wanted more production,” Watson says. “We thought there were bigger things out there for us. You really have to play to your players, and that’s all we’ve done. We’ve simply played to our players and developed a scheme that allows us to create touches for the guys who need to have the ball in their hands.”

Watson also displayed an ability to mold his offense to the talent on hand while at Colorado, where he worked as offensive coordinator under Barnett from 2000-05. During that period, the Buffaloes captured four Big 12 North Division crowns and won the league championship in 2001.

Watson obviously was versatile in his approach. In 2002, Colorado ranked ninth nationally in rushing and 106th in passing. The next season, CU was 113th in rushing and 18th in passing.

Colorado in 2001 ranked 20th nationally in total offense. Watson’s final four offenses at CU were 58th, 66th, 85th and 87th. So, in that regard, he’s experiencing a career renaissance of sorts. His iron is particularly hot at the moment, even hotter than it was last season when Alabama came hard after Watson to be offensive coordinator.

One source close to Watson told me to pay attention to potential head coaching openings in the Big East Conference. Cincinnati’s Brian Kelly, for instance, is constantly linked to other head coaching openings (Tennessee at the moment). Perhaps Watson formed connections in the Ohio region from his days at Southern Illinois. Hmmm. Make sense?

’Tis the season for rampant job speculation in the college football world.

’Tis only just the beginning.

“Shawn’s priorities are in order,” Barnett says. “Everything in his life is organized. He always has a plan — he thinks everything through. But sometimes getting a job can be kind of a crapshoot.”

It’s a game Watson appears willing to play, while his iron’s hot.

If you remember, there was a thread approx. 4 weeks ago talking about changes in assist. coaches. I "mentioned" that my wife had heard that possible Watson and Gilmore "might" be gone. I personally NEVER SAID I wanted this to happen, and stresssed over and over that this was a complete rumor from a former player.....

Man, did some on this board over-react big time.. I am not sure ANYONE said that they "wanted" a change.....and, it's kind of funny (not literally) that the 2 guys who are interviewing or "mentioned about HC jobs" are Watson/Gilmore.

I want them both to stay for a very long time. Hopefully TO will use his stature...and pocket book to stress the importance of continuity among staff.

If you remember, there was a thread approx. 4 weeks ago talking about changes in assist. coaches. I "mentioned" that my wife had heard that possible Watson and Gilmore "might" be gone. I personally NEVER SAID I wanted this to happen, and stresssed over and over that this was a complete rumor from a former player.....

Man, did some on this board over-react big time.. I am not sure ANYONE said that they "wanted" a change.....and, it's kind of funny (not literally) that the 2 guys who are interviewing or "mentioned about HC jobs" are Watson/Gilmore.

I want them both to stay for a very long time. Hopefully TO will use his stature...and pocket book to stress the importance of continuity among staff.

This board...over-react? No freakin' way!