Talent Upgrades Needed to Compete!

rkhufu7

speed? yes... but imo all our offense needs is for our line to step up. I think a good line would run the ball down their throats, and there would be nothing they could do. that IMO is the way to beat them.... wear them down 94 orange bowl style. I dont think we are ever going to be able to match their speed. but right now our line is a ways from being able to do that.

Agreed. With a big and fast, talented line, nearly any offense would be successful. Just look at Oklahoma...every lineman is over 300 lbs and they don't give up sacks, or get called for holding. During our championship runs, I remember our line went an entire season without a holding call!

We also need speed. With speed, any offense works. Just look at our old option offense --virtually unchanged for a decade, yet transformed I'm the 90s because of speed.

I'd rather have a very fast defense than a very fast offense.

:yeah

This is also the area in which we could establish an advantage over the rest of the Big 12 relatively quickly. No one in this conference plays defense. If Bo can build a fast defense along the lines of LSU ca. 2007, I think we could make it very difficult for the rest of the teams in the conference to keep running the spread option successfully.

I'd rather have a very fast defense than a very fast offense.

:yeah

This is also the area in which we could establish an advantage over the rest of the Big 12 relatively quickly. No one in this conference plays defense. If Bo can build a fast defense along the lines of LSU ca. 2007, I think we could make it very difficult for the rest of the teams in the conference to keep running the spread option successfully.

Bigger, faster, and stronger on both sides of the ball. Quickness is needed from all. Defense especially. WR's need to be tall (about 6'3") and fast (about 4.48). LB's and DE's must be quick players, strong and fast as well.

Finally, dedicaton to hard work and commitment to the program is a must for all recruits.

I think something that gets lost in the mix, especially because most players nowadays can't do it well at all, is the ability to tackle in open space.

The speed issue can be somewhat neutralized by having a great D-Line. When you look back to a line of a Terry Conneally, C and J Peter, Mike Rucker, Grant Wistrom, Jared Tomich et al, and even if you count Trev Alberts they were able to slow down teams that were supposed to be ridiculously fast because of the pressure applied.

QB is the big question mark. I think we will eventually figure out who the next QB will be, but it is up in the air right now for sure. The offensive line needs to come in with the determination that they showed as the season went on. I think they will be better next year.

Running back is a question mark IF Helu gets hurt. Then we will have to rely on Castille or one of the younger backs to step up...and I think they will.

Defense is only going to get better on the line. In the backfield we may need some help, or have some of the younger players step up. I think again, though, that the defense is in a learning mode, and they are gaining their confidence back. The defense will most likely determine where we end up at the end of the season next year.

NU's offense is plenty good; we just happen to have ridiculously talented offensive teams in the B12 this year. Let's see how OU does next year on offense after losing 4 of 5 OL - it's their ability to dominate the trenches, not their speed, which makes OU so very, very good on O.

OU loses great players every year.

They'll do alright.

NU's offense is plenty good; we just happen to have ridiculously talented offensive teams in the B12 this year. Let's see how OU does next year on offense after losing 4 of 5 OL - it's their ability to dominate the trenches, not their speed, which makes OU so very, very good on O.

OU loses great players every year.

They'll do alright.

OU is a lot like USC in that regard, aren't they? They will be alright when it comes to their line. Nebraska needs to get back to being able to produce linemen like we used to do.