Ohio State?

brasky

I'm confused...did Ohio State join the Big 12, or did Boise State?

Anyway, Ohio State brings a whole lot more fans to bowl games. Boise is more deserving, but OSU is only a spot below.

Automatic bids went to the 6 major conference winners, Texas at #3, Alabama at #4, and Utah as the highest ranked non-BCS school and at a high enough ranking (I forget the exact criteria, but part of it was to be ranked higher than a BCS champion). That leaves one spot, and the eligible teams (top 14) were Ohio St, Boise, TCU, and Georgia Tech. TTech and Okie State weren't eligible since the Big 12 already had two spots. There's no requirement at all to take the next highest ranked team.

It also wouldn't surprise me if there is a bit of pressure on the BCS bowls to keep the big payoffs within the major conferences.

• 3 weeks later...

Although Boise State/TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl should be a HECK of a game.

It was a very good game, but it also pointed out why undefeated Boise State didn't belong in a BCS bowl. TCU got their a$$es absolutely handed to them by OU, and they beat Boise State. I just hope Utah shows up for their BCS game. I'm glad the non BCS schools do occasionally get a chance to play with the big boys, but I have to admit that I don't even watch those games. I mean who really thought Hawaii last year could hang with Georgia? I didn't even watch the slaughter.