Possibly Moving to Omaha

Head to Millard my friend. Neighborhoods and people are great, the schools are fantastic academically, and the Millard area is usually where the top high school football programs are. Millard North has won the state title in football many years and Millard West just won the state title this fall.

Avoid North Omaha if you can. Not saying it is a terrible place, but it is arguably the oldest and most worn down part of Omaha. Millard area is very nice and a very safe environment.

I'll be working at/near Stratcom, so even though I doubt traffic is a huge issue in Omaha, would Papillion/LaVista make sense?

There is a nasty traffic snarl to think about. The Kennedy Freeway interchange with I80 backs up for several miles every morning and night. (drunken monkeys designed that interchange I swear) So I would try to avoid making that a drive time ritual.

As far as locations go, the only real area to stay out of is what is referred to as 'north Omaha' The 'Benson' area isnt bad for a sub 100k price range. For the sub 200k you mention though you have almost everwhere to pick from. Though you will find that there are neighborhoods in every part of town you dont want to be in, plenty of run down places in Pappilion/La Vista/Belleview.

The Westside and Millard schools have better facilities but as to what happens in the future remains to be seen with the 'learning community' and how money is getting moved around. One other sort of thought is that if you have kids who want to develop in sports, there are definite schools to try to aim for or avoid.

Actually...if you don't mind commuting a bit, you might want to consider just moving to the other side of the river to someplace like Missouri Valley or Glenwood. I know people in both places that commute back and forth every day and it doesn't seem to bother them. They like the small town living, cheap taxes and room to let their kids run with the convenience of being close enough to the Omaha/Council Bluffs area that they can take advantage of everything there. One thing they really like is that the schools are small enough that their kids are going to have an opportunity to do just about any extra-curricular thing they want to do and actually get to participate (be it sports, band...whatever).

Avoid all of Council Bluffs...nobody I know can stand any part of the place. They tell me that's where Omaha sends their riff-raff to live and the schools have a really bad reputation.

So, LaVista/Papillion, Bellevue, or Millard sound like the best spots.

Cool.

My wife is a California girl. Is Omaha going to keep her interested?

I'm sure if you ask, you'll find volunteers to sneak up and shake your house in the middle of the night and yell "Earthquake!" so she won't feel homesick...or we can set fire to your neighbors trees and yell "Wild Fire!" That could help if she gets bored....

Meanwhile...have someone take her cow tipping if she's looking for something unique and "Midwesterny" to do. Can't beat cow tipping for typical midwestern fun.... <_<

So, LaVista/Papillion, Bellevue, or Millard sound like the best spots.

Cool.

My wife is a California girl. Is Omaha going to keep her interested?

depends on what her interests are. If she is a beach bum, well.... But as far as restaurants and live music, there is plenty to do.

Hopefully there is enough to keep the family busy. Good parks, good youth sports (my son is 7), good shopping, a water park or two. And how's the Zoo?