Article on who will replace Ganz

I agree with Spano. I think i said this awhile back that something just gives me the feeling that since the backup QBs are seeing such little playing time it would kind of make sense that maybe even the coaches are leaning towards Spano.. then again, they really shouldn't be looking that far forward so maybe not... The kid just looks good and is decently intelligent. We'll see how it turns out but it'll be an interesting spring for sure.

Ok, I'll bite. What do you mean by decently intelligent? Is that slightly more intelligent than (dumber than a box of rocks) Jamal Lord? Or is it slightly less intelligent than (I scored a 33 on my ACT) Frost?

Lol.. he helped tutor a couple of the other football players (ie cotton) through calc 1 this summer...

and yea, never been @ practice so i haven't been able to

I'm thinkin' Terelle Pryor, but a better passer...

Cody is not that good of a passer right now. Thus why he needs the RS season.

I've been thinking Witt had the job in past months, but I'm slowly headed to Zac Lee's side.

Better than Terelle P as a passer outta h.s, not saying much I guess, but had nearly 2500 yds passing this yr.

Most major high school experts are doubting that Cody Green will be a QB his entire college career. He has an awkward delivery and has terrible footwork. He will redshirt so they can coach his fundamentals and technique.

I'm not saying he won't be a good QB (I think he will), but high school stats don't necessarily translate to great college careers. He is highly intelligent, which should translate well to his success. We'll see.

I've been thinking Witt had the job in past months, but I'm slowly headed to Zac Lee's side.

Better than Terelle P as a passer outta h.s, not saying much I guess, but had nearly 2500 yds passing this yr.

No, he's not even that good.

People REALLY need to realize how raw of a passer Cody is. He is just simply not good right now. I know what his offensive statistics are, but given his offense type, most QBs would put up the same type of numbers.

Need to temper the enthusiasm.

People REALLY need to realize how raw of a passer Cody is. He is just simply not good right now. I know what his offensive statistics are, but given his offense type, most QBs would put up the same type of numbers.

Hmmmmmm... I think that's probably why he's such a highly rated QB right? Because he's simply not good? I'll be glad to have him next year.

Hmmmmmm... I think that's probably why he's such a highly rated QB right? Because he's simply not good? I'll be glad to have him next year.

Yeah, he's rated in the top 2-3 duel threat QBs in the country, so if 'not good' means 'he's great' then yes, he's 'not good'.

He's no Elway, but his passing looks pretty decent on the rivals videos. How do people 'KNOW' he's not that good, what's it based on?

Bill King(rivals radio) said T Pryor was just a horrendous passer coming outta h.s. Guess what happened, he took over the job of a veteran passing QB.

Anybody who puts up around 4300 ttl yds in a TX h.s.--in one year--is GOOD! Green is good.

Woah, woah, hold up there guy. I'm not saying Cody is not good. I'm saying he is raw as a passer. That has nothing to do with saying he isn't good. In fact, Cody is by far our best recruit this year. But at the same time Cody is only bleeding potential due to his athleticism and ability he has shown. When the kid is on he is deadly, but when he is off, he is REALLY off. Thus why they say he has potential because he needs to clean up bad habits he has before he is ready.

looks pretty darn good on the rivals videos, passes look alright.... how do people 'KNOW' he's not that good, what's it based on?

Bill King(rivals radio) said T Pryor was just a horrendous passer coming outta h.s. Guess what happened, he took over the job of a veteran passing QB.

Anybody who puts up around 4300 ttl yds in a TX h.s.--in one year--is GOOD!

I never said Terrelle Pryor was a good passer either. Just that Cody was not as good a passer as even Terrelle is. The big difference is that Terrelle did not have mechanical problems with his throwing motion that needed to be severely altered as well. Terrelle's mechanics are awful, from an NFL standpoint, however like Vince Young, he has found a way to make it work throughout HS on all the throws and found a way to make it work in college most throws.

And at the same time, Cody is athletic, but Terrelle is a freak of nature type athlete. Terrelle is in the same sentence as a Vince Young type athlete at QB. Terrelle is one of those rare type athletes you very, very, very rarely see at QB. If Cody was that type of athlete we would never have been in the discussion for Cody because every heavy hitter from coast to coast would have been chasing him.

No senior film has been made public yet, so how can you say anything about Cody's mechanics just yet?

When it is made hits the scene, watch Cody's hip rotation. Very little. Right now he is all about using his shoulder and arm strength (which HAS to be altered to save shoulder problems) which cheats himself out of velocity on throws. At the same time, watch his feet. Very rarely will he step hard into his throws which throws off his balance which leads to errant deep throws. He is able to get by with this right now because his team takes few chances down the field so it does not cause many problems as as right now.

In fact, if you go back to look at the Cody Green thread, you will see that it was talked about that even aTm was really recruiting Cody to play WR because of his mechanical flaws. This played a part in why Cody chose us. IIRC, even Texas chased Cody early in hopes he would be open to playing WR, but he passed on the idea.

You can look at stats, which is fine. However, most of Dayton's offense is predicated off of 1-2 quick reads, screens, slants which rely on their WR's athleticism to make RAC. A guy like AJ Dugat will never get the credit he deserves for what he has done for the Dayton offense taking so many screen plays and turning them into 20-25 plays so routinely.

Cody needs work and will RS without a doubt.

Woah, woah, hold up there guy. I'm not saying Cody is not good. I'm saying he is raw as a passer. That has nothing to do with saying he isn't good. In fact, Cody is by far our best recruit this year. But at the same time Cody is only bleeding potential due to his athleticism and ability he has shown. When the kid is on he is deadly, but when he is off, he is REALLY off. Thus why they say he has potential because he needs to clean up bad habits he has before he is ready.

looks pretty darn good on the rivals videos, passes look alright.... how do people 'KNOW' he's not that good, what's it based on?

Anybody who puts up around 4300 ttl yds in a TX h.s.--in one year--is GOOD!

I never said Terrelle Pryor was a good passer either. Just that Cody was not as good a passer as even Terrelle is. The big difference is that Terrelle did not have mechanical problems with his throwing motion that needed to be severely altered as well. Terrelle's mechanics are awful, from an NFL standpoint, however like Vince Young, he has found a way to make it work throughout HS on all the throws and found a way to make it work in college most throws.

And at the same time, Cody is athletic, but Terrelle is a freak of nature type athlete. Terrelle is in the same sentence as a Vince Young type athlete at QB. Terrelle is one of those rare type athletes you very, very, very rarely see at QB. If Cody was that type of athlete we would never have been in the discussion for Cody because every heavy hitter from coast to coast would have been chasing him.

No senior film has been made public yet, so how can you say anything about Cody's mechanics just yet?

When it is made hits the scene, watch Cody's hip rotation. Very little. Right now he is all about using his shoulder and arm strength (which HAS to be altered to save shoulder problems) which cheats himself out of velocity on throws. At the same time, watch his feet. Very rarely will he step hard into his throws which throws off his balance which leads to errant deep throws. He is able to get by with this right now because his team takes few chances down the field so it does not cause many problems as as right now.

In fact, if you go back to look at the Cody Green thread, you will see that it was talked about that even aTm was really recruiting Cody to play WR because of his mechanical flaws. This played a part in why Cody chose us. IIRC, even Texas chased Cody early in hopes he would be open to playing WR, but he passed on the idea.

You can look at stats, which is fine. However, most of Dayton's offense is predicated off of 1-2 quick reads, screens, slants which rely on their WR's athleticism to make RAC. A guy like AJ Dugat will never get the credit he deserves for what he has done for the Dayton offense taking so many screen plays and turning them into 20-25 plays so routinely.

hmmm, u may be right.....but I thought his h.s. coach said he was a decent passer, or even a 'good' passer and Green has said he's really trying to work on his passing.

COLLEGE CHOICES INTEREST

Nebraska (solid verbal) COMMITTED

(7/9/2008) 9/26/2008 Mike Ekeler

Shawn Watson

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Baylor

Boston College

Houston

Miami

Mississippi State

Well, I doubt if aTm is looking for a duel threat QB under Sherman, but one would think at least a few of these others might have considered him for QB.

Video is a little rough, but it's public video from this year.

But compare Cody's mechanics from his throw from the 1:40 mark to the rest of his throws. The throw he makes at that mark is the type of throw you want him to make more routinely. In that throw he lets his hips generate most of his power, steps into the throw and he rifles a pass in traffic for a 20 yard gain. That is the type of throw Cody can make more routinely, but that's the type of throw he needs time to develop as well through constant repetition to get out of bad habits.

There is another throw, I think his 2nd to last, that is a pretty nice throw as well. However his arm action gets a little fast to his footwork which also puts a little extra strain on that arm you do not want. However his footwork and hip action are what you want to see.

I have little doubt Cody will develop into a beast. The kid is willing to learn and bust his rear end to do it. With Watson teaching him, I know he is in good hands. But at the same time, you cannot rush him.

I compare it almost treating Cody like a MLB prospect for a year or two before we see what he's got. Cody just isn't ready to hit that MLB pitching yet right out of the gate.

But compare Cody's mechanics from his throw from the 1:40 mark to the rest of his throws. The throw he makes at that mark is the type of throw you want him to make more routinely. In that throw he lets his hips generate most of his power, steps into the throw and he rifles a pass in traffic for a 20 yard gain. That is the type of throw Cody can make more routinely, but that's the type of throw he needs time to develop as well through constant repetition to get out of bad habits.

There is another throw, I think his 2nd to last, that is a pretty nice throw as well. However his arm action gets a little fast to his footwork which also puts a little extra strain on that arm you do not want. However his footwork and hip action are what you want to see.

I have little doubt Cody will develop into a beast. The kid is willing to learn and bust his rear end to do it. With Watson teaching him, I know he is in good hands. But at the same time, you cannot rush him.

I compare it almost treating Cody like a MLB prospect for a year or two before we see what he's got. Cody just isn't ready to hit that MLB pitching yet right out of the gate.

Well, I guess what I'm mainly saying is that T Pry was a horrible passer in h.s. and he learned pretty quickly once OSU got ahold of him and is at least a sevicible passer now.

I think Green is a better passer than TP was in h.s.

Well, I guess what I'm mainly saying is that T Pry was a horrible passer in h.s. and he learned pretty quickly once OSU got ahold of him and is at least a sevicible passer now.

I think Green is a better passer than TP was in h.s.

Terrelle isn't a bad passer, he's just a mechanically flawed passer. It's eerily similar to Vince Young in how he throws from his hip. But even with his throwing style, he has not shown the inability to make most throws. The one downfall in his throwing motion is that his throws tend to sail a bit, but that's about it.

On the flipside, Cody's throwing motion will lead to arm troubles down the road without question. He continues down the same path of throwing with his arm more than getting his power from his core and he will either need arm surgery during his time here or later in his career. His arm is basically a ticking time bomb with his throwing motion as it is right now.

Think of a Jake Peavy type style of throwing a football. All arm and little else. Sooner or later your arm will say enough is enough.

He can get by with the bad footwork just due to his athleticism, but his throwing motion absolutely has to be cleaned up and that isn't something I would rush with a young quarterback.

***SNIP***

Gotta agree (although my opinion is pretty worthless). A kid with worlds of potential - but he needs a year redshirting to work on the mechanics. If you throw him in now, not only do you put him in situations in which he'll inevitably fall back on his bad high school habits (making them that much more difficult to correct), you limit the offense in terms of what kind of routes can be run by the recievers.

Helluva athlete - needs some time to reach his potential. We can certianly use him situationally, but no way he starts as a true freshman.