How many Husker fans at Gator Bowl

theneguy95

I know a lot of people going to the Gator Bowl and I know we were given some 12,000 or so tickets, but that doesn't include people who buy from gatorbowl.com or other places. How many husker fans do you think will be there? It's a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay shorter trip for clemson fans, but I think us husker fans travel pretty well. How many husker fans do you think will be there? I can't wait to go to the game! Haven't been to a bowl game since the Fiesta Bowl and that was the best experience in my whole life. (don't tell my wife that- of course I have to tell her our wedding day was) haha

GBR

i know every bowl game ive been too, im always suprised at the amount of husker faithful there. its like we're the savior red cockroaches of college football, just coming out of the woodwork all over the country. there wasnt a city i was stationed in the military that didnt have an official "watch site" that consumed the entire bar. i know, and respect clemson's ability to travel and support their team, but other than say a notre dame, i dont know of another program that has such faithful fans that come together all across the country. i was in a bar last year in boston for none other than completely random, im in boston, lets go to a bar reasons, and the big XII champ was on. guess what i saw? people in red. lots of people in red. (yes, im quite aware we were not playing in the game, thats what amazed me most about it). i think the clemson faithful might sleep on us a bit...maybe they need to see a pic of what happened when we visited touchdown jesus? GBR always finds a way into the games.

so, ill say 30,000 easy. and i wont be suprised if that number pushes 38-40. a year without a bowl is a dry spell all too long for the cold weather husker faithful, and, wrong or not, i know a few people that are simply going because the temp stays in the double digits this time of year down there. oh, and according to the radio, these are fine times for nebraskans, as the economy doesnt affect us like it is other parts of the country. :o

I think with the fact that this is only our 3rd bowl game in 5 years and that we missed a bowl game last year a lot of Nebraska faithful will be on their way to the Gator Bowl. We all know how well Nebraska travels.

Don't rule out the distance being a factor though. Nebraska vs. Notre Dame in Southbend, 2001, is a perfect example.

I think with the fact that this is only our 3rd bowl game in 5 years and that we missed a bowl game last year a lot of Nebraska faithful will be on their way to the Gator Bowl. We all know how well Nebraska travels.

Don't rule out the distance being a factor though. Nebraska vs. Notre Dame in Southbend, 2001, is a perfect example.

Yeah, but South Bend is only just over an 8 hour drive from Omaha. All you have to do is get on I80 and haul a$$. The Gator Bowl is over 2.5 times as far. South Bend is less than a days drive. Jacksonville is a 2 day at best drive. I'm sure there will be many NU fans at the game, but I don't think we'll have a majority at the game.

Clemson sold out their initial allotment of 13,500 tickets and has requested more tickets from the Gator Bowl. I am sure Clemson will buy up as many tickets as they can find. I've been to away games where the home team has had to backoff the line of scrimmage due to the Clemson crowd noise.

I am glad Nebraska fans travel as well as Clemson does. This makes for an exciting game both on and off the field.

Yeah, but South Bend is only just over an 8 hour drive from Omaha. All you have to do is get on I80 and haul a$$. The Gator Bowl is over 2.5 times as far. South Bend is less than a days drive. Jacksonville is a 2 day at best drive. I'm sure there will be many NU fans at the game, but I don't think we'll have a majority at the game.

fine, take the wake forest game from a couple years ago...not nearly as marquee team/game, and granted, a much smaller stadium, but there must have been 15,000+ gbr's there. and the majority werent from nebraska. do i think we'll dominate the stands? no. but to think clemsons gonna dilute the sea of red is hard for me to take when nebraska has such a nationwide fanbase, a national fanbase that is way larger, rabid, (insane perhaps? ;) ) than clemsons and has proven their traveling ablility all across the country. (this isnt meant as a knock on clemson) <----edit---i think alot of nebraskans move the heck out of the state the first chance they get! a lot of transplants that really only have one thing to brag about/cheer for when they move away.

oh, im not at all. i fully expect for there to be more clemson, and would be disapointed in y'all if there wasnt, since youre so freakin close. i think we both know why our respective teams were picked for this gator bowl matchup. all im trying to say is, put this game on the west coast and id be interested in what happens. we always end up having to travel somewhere, and maybe there is something in the fact that since were in the middle of the country, every one of them bowl trips takes about the same amount of effort for us to get to. were resigned to the fact that no one wants to come play some real football with us up here in the snow on new years day. :box

This game will be very close to a sellout. Both teams travel very well which I'm sure was a big factor in both schools' invites given the current state of the economy.

One thing that y'all will see a lot of in Jacksonville is this:

.jpg]Tiger Paw-Stamped $2 bill

Sorry, I can't figure out how to get the html to work to make it up the picture up instead of this link.

Clemson has a tradition of spending $2 bills on bowl trips because it's a very clear way to show the city how big of an economic impact our fans have. But it has been known to get some people a little upset because there's not a slot in the cashier drawer to put the bills so it might be a little inconvenient. In fact, a few years ago I believe at the Peach Bowl against Tennessee, the cashiers at restaurants and bars had to give change in $2 bills to Tennessee fans who were not all that pleased about it.

I fully expect the game to be a sellout or very close to it with Clemson having just over half of the fans there. I know y'all will show up strong also but the distance is a factor as was mentioned above.