How good is this staff?

HANC

How good can this coaching staff be? I have been pretty impressed for the most part all year, but especially yesterday. How can you be a defensive prospect and not want to play for Pelini, Pelinin, Eck, and Sanders. They have made this group "better"......not only from last year, but you could see the growth as the season went along. Hopefully Suh will return (although I am not holding my breath, regardless of what he said in the paper) and put him with Turner, Allen, and ? , this staff could really coach up another talented front 4.

Correct me if I am wrong (most do), but we probably maxed out our potential at LB.... these kids played their a$$es off, and we didn't have many scholarship players on the field at LB, due to injury and suspension. These coaches took a lot of walk ons with heart and made them into a decent group of LB's. Last year's staff would have sh!t itself with all of the potential problems at LB.

Offensively, you get most of the line back.... they will develop a QB.....and how good is this staff on keeping true to their word. What if we just "featured" Lucky or Helu all year? Then, Q wouldn't have been ready to step up and play like a man yesterday. Fact is, regardless of what WE think, the coaches know what's going on.

** we all question "calls" ....but that is part of the game....and being a fan....but the coaches took a team that had to play with their "3rd rb" and a depleted LB core and beat a pretty good Clemson team. I thought that early, their speed was a huge problem, combined with our 3 week lay-off and timing issues, but the coaches seem to adjust and the team played lights out in the second half.

Hopefully this staff stays in tact for a few years. I would like to see what happens once they start getting the recruiting ball really rolling.

This staff reminds me of the staffs that Osborne had for many years, and obviously like Solich's last staff. These are coaches that are not flashy, do not get all of the national pub, and quite frankly may not be "great coaches" but these guys know football and these kids love playing for them. It is a complete contrast to the former regime. I remember when Calllllllahan put his horrible coaching staff together and many Husker fans bought the B.S. that it was all about recruiting talent and coaching was easy. As we have seen from the likes of Boise St, Utah, Cincinnati, and now this staff, good coaching and developing talent is every bit as important as recruiting great talent. Even with some of the supposedly greatest recruiting classes in NU history, this team probably has the least amount of pure talent NU has had since the sixties. Not only was the past staff poor at developing talent, they were poor at evaluating it, and in hind sight, poor recruiters.

Thankfully, Bo and his staff have put together a solid class that addresses the holes that were left. Hopefully all of these kids make it to NU and these coaches can turn them into stellar players.

I'm not sure that Bo will win a National Championship here, but I have a feeling in a couple of years, he will be able to have us in contention for the Big 12 and a BCS game almost every year. Considering where we have been for the past 4 years, we as Husker fans should feel pretty good about that.

jayhawk, maybe you can help us out with something:

What do you think of Tim Beck? He was coaching at Kansas last year, correct? I was just thinking the other day who would become OC if Watson happened to jump ship, and I was wondering if Beck could do it. I don't know how many options we would have...Cotton, Gilmore, Brown, Beck? The first three don't really excite me as OCs, and I don't know anything about Beck, but I hope he has potential as an OC. You know, just in case.

This staff got this team to gel and peak at the right time. Bo is in these guys' heads.

Great adjustments - a mark of of quality coaching. I think we'll have Watson around another year or two - hopefully three. I think Gilmore would make a good OC - probably learned a lot of Watson at CU and here.

Right now, I'd grade this staff at about an A-. We'll see when we have the horses to go toe to toe with OU and Texas. We're nearly there.

The great thing about this staff is that they should be together for quite a while with the exception of maybe Watson. I highly doubt Carl leaves little bro. Bo to take on another job. It could happen, but I think it's highly unlikely. Cotton is probably at his last stop as coach. Ron Brown goes nowhere but Lincoln.

How good is this staff?

they look pretty good at this point (minus a couple of blowouts).

IMO- the true answer has to wait for a few years as Bo's recruits come in and get coached up. It's year in and year out performance that tells what a staff is made of.

and someone before said, something to the effect of "there's no 'adjustments'" or "Adjustments don't matter"

back to topic, we should have a pretty good indicator at how good this staff is around year four, with coaches leaving for higher positions it'll be interesting to see how they are replaced, that'll be a good indication of how good this staff is IMO.