Nebraska 90s vs USC 00s

Still one more year for the Trojans.

I think they are today's Nebraska, but I also think it is much harder today to do what Nebraska and SC are doing, than it was ten years ago.

Money is no problem for most programs, and talent is better, stronger, faster, and it appars smarter.

SC is an amazing story. But Texas is quite comparable. LSU is there until this year. Ohio State has had a pretty good run.

When we were doing it, it was us and Florida State. I think more teams of an elite level now days. Could be wrong.

Nebraska will always be first in my mind, but I must admit I am very impressed with what Coach Carrol is doing out here. I had the opportunity to meet him recently, and he is avery dynamic, personable man. My wife is a big SC supporter. He kidded me that I should be sending some of the money I send to Nebraska to him, I told him that Patti sends more to SC than I do to Nebraska. We could trade, he did not think that was a great idea.

I think they are today's Nebraska, but I also think it is much harder today to do what Nebraska and SC are doing, than it was ten years ago.

Money is no problem for most programs, and talent is better, stronger, faster, and it appars smarter.

SC is an amazing story. But Texas is quite comparable. LSU is there until this year. Ohio State has had a pretty good run.

When we were doing it, it was us and Florida State. I think more teams of an elite level now days. Could be wrong.

Nebraska will always be first in my mind, but I must admit I am very impressed with what Coach Carrol is doing out here. I had the opportunity to meet him recently, and he is avery dynamic, personable man. My wife is a big SC supporter. He kidded me that I should be sending some of the money I send to Nebraska to him, I told him that Patti sends more to SC than I do to Nebraska. We could trade, he did not think that was a great idea.

It's much harder to get kids to go to NU than usc. I remember hearing Barry Switzer say that Terry Donahue and whoever was the usc coach at the time - drive home by more talent than I'll ever see in my lifetime and they can't win a National Championship. Carroll just figured out what to do with all the High Schools out here. But then I can't figure out how anyone would pick the f**king GHETTO (usc) over Westwood (UCLA). I guess if your used to living in the ghetto you go with what you know because that's where the majority of the kids from usc are from.

UT can't win a conference title w/o VY! Stoops has won 6 of 7! NU and USC as well as OU win titles, UT does not do that, nor will they schedule good teams in non-conference. NU did it w/o top 5-10 recruiting classes! John Robinson was the SC HC in mid 70s to early 80s, became Rams HC.

you guys's may love the 95 huskers and i do too but for some extremely odd reason i'm still a huge fan of bob Deveny's early 70's husker teams with glover and Murtaugh on D and Johhny the Jet burning anybody who tried to cover him. those teams dominated and set the tone for the entire program.

So...on another forum I frequent, after the USC win, there was a thread:

Title: USC wins again

My first instinct (and reply) was that USC 00s is actually worse than Nebraska 90s. This led me to do the following breakdown:

Nebraska (Undefeated Seasons: 3, National Champs: 3)

90: 9-3

91: 9-2

92; 9-3

93: 11-1

94: 13-0

95: 12-0

96: 11-2

97: 13-0

98: 9-3

99: 12-1

Avg: 10.67 - 1.56 (only 90-98 seasons)

USC (Undefeated Seasons: 1, National Champs: 2)

00: 5-6

01: 6-6

02: 11-2

03: 12-1

04: 13-0

05: 12-1

06: 11-2

07: 11-2

08: 11-1

Avg: 10.22 - 2.33

And, of course their best 5 year stretch is 59-6, 1 undefeated season and 2 NCs. Ours is 60-3, 3 undefeated seasons and 3 NCs. Interestingly enough, for the total 10 year period Nebraska was 108 - 15, USC after 9 seasons is 92 - 21. There is no way that USC in 00s can reach the win total or the winning percentage that Nebraska had in the 90s.

Is this a sign that I dwell too much on the past?

98 NU wasn't 9-3, it was Solich's first year and they lost 5 games! 00 USC was not Carroll, why would you count the coach that was fired?

Heh. It actually was 9-4. If you count the bowl game loss. And of course he would count the coach that was fired because he is comparing two programs over the course of a decade (albeit different decades).

4 games which was the most since the 1960s. That was a hint of things to come. You intentionally didn't put in the bowl game loss, because you have the bowl games in the other seasons!

Solich had the same regular season record his first year as TO did. Solich played for a NC in his 4th year. It took TO what 8-10 years? Depending on how you regard ties back in the day, TO really never had a stellar first 8 years as HC. In his first 6 years coaching, he lost at least 2 games and the majority of the time lost 3 games per season. Yep, it sure was a hint of things to come.

My first instinct (and reply) was that USC 00s is actually worse than Nebraska 90s. This led me to do the following breakdown:

92; 9-3

And, of course their best 5 year stretch is 59-6, 1 undefeated season and 2 NCs. Ours is 60-3, 3 undefeated seasons and 3 NCs. Interestingly enough, for the total 10 year period Nebraska was 108 - 15, USC after 9 seasons is 92 - 21. There is no way that USC in 00s can reach the win total or the winning percentage that Nebraska had in the 90s.

98 NU wasn't 9-3, it was Solich's first year and they lost 5 games! 00 USC was not Carroll, why would you count the coach that was fired?

Heh. It actually was 9-4. If you count the bowl game loss. And of course he would count the coach that was fired because he is comparing two programs over the course of a decade (albeit different decades).

4 games which was the most since the 1960s. That was a hint of things to come. You intentionally didn't put in the bowl game loss, because you have the bowl games in the other seasons!

Solich had the same regular season record his first year as TO did. Solich played for a NC in his 4th year. It took TO what 8-10 years? Depending on how you regard ties back in the day, TO really never had a stellar first 8 years as HC. In his first 6 years coaching, he lost at least 2 games and the majority of the time lost 3 games per season. Yep, it sure was a hint of things to come.

Solich was a VERY POOR recruiter and depleted the talent!

you guys's may love the 95 huskers and i do too but for some extremely odd reason i'm still a huge fan of bob Deveny's early 70's husker teams with glover and Murtaugh on D and Johhny the Jet burning anybody who tried to cover him. those teams dominated and set the tone for the entire program.

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct the other day they were reading through some articles written (at the time) about Johnny. They likened it to Johnny the Jet being Reggie Bush before there ever was a Reggie Bush. That's the kind of stuff I like to hear.

And to whoever talked about how the kids are better/stronger/faster/smarter...I think I would disagree with that. Nutrition and things are better so there are quite marginal increments on these things, however you can't possibly tell me you'd take Dominic Raiola over Dave Rimington, or Stewart Bradley over Jerry Murtaugh. Learning and understanding the game plus having solid fundamentals makes up quite a gap in strength/speed.

92; 9-3

:yeah

On Unsportsmanlike Conduct the other day they were reading through some articles written (at the time) about Johnny. They likened it to Johnny the Jet being Reggie Bush before there ever was a Reggie Bush. That's the kind of stuff I like to hear.

And to whoever talked about how the kids are better/stronger/faster/smarter...I think I would disagree with that. Nutrition and things are better so there are quite marginal increments on these things, however you can't possibly tell me you'd take Dominic Raiola over Dave Rimington, or Stewart Bradley over Jerry Murtaugh. Learning and understanding the game plus having solid fundamentals makes up quite a gap in strength/speed.

or tom novak...rich glover...dean...

92; 9-3

I love when people post and get the facts wrong. Osborne was 9-2-1 his first year - Solich won off Osbornes recruits until 2001 when they lost to miami in the rose bowl. solich's 1st year with his own guys he was 7-7. There's not a f**king person in this world that can convince me solich was a good coach.