Tim Griffin predicts the Huskers win the 2009 Big 12 North

I think the great equalizer for KU is the fact that its defense is going to be a joke.

How do you figure!?! KU's defense will be better with the return of Darrel Stuckey and leader in sacks Jake Laptad. I don't think they'll be great, but the D will be better. Far from a joke.

Shatel's take:

ESPN.com Big 12 blogger Tim Griffin predicts Nebraska will win the Big 12 North next season and lose to Texas in the Big 12 championship.

He'll be in the minority. The popular pick to win the North will be Kansas, which has the top quarterback returning in the North in Todd Reesing and playmakers at receiver in Dezmon Briscoe and Kerry Meier.

But the great equalizer for KU is its southern rotation in the Big 12: at Texas, at Texas Tech and Oklahoma at home. The Hawks could be 0-3 without playing a North game. That might bring them back to the pack in a hurry.

Texas Tech losses 9 of 11 on offense and a handful on defense. Harrel and Crabtree are gone my friend. Suddenly a trip to Lubbock isn't that scary. I'd rather play them than Baylor! :lol:

I think the great equalizer for KU is the fact that its defense is going to be a joke.

How do you figure!?! KU's defense will be better with the return of Darrel Stuckey and leader in sacks Jake Laptad. I don't think they'll be great, but the D will be better. Far from a joke.

Talk to any idiot from the SEC. There is NO defense in the Big XII :bang

we figure because mortensen and rivera are gone on top of the fact KU's defenses still wasn't good with those players playing.

NOT already!! One person's opinion...and I think everyone knows my view on opinions....

OU gets far more 4-5 star skill players on offense and defense than the North teams do! KU returns a very good QB and WRs. Mangino usually has a great defense and will bounce back from the off season they had this year. KU should be favorites, but traditionalists will jump the gun and go with NU.

Really shouldn't be that hard next year IMO.

Nah I think Kansas should be pretty tough, not that we can't beat em. And with Mizzou and Colorado you never know either. But hey, thats not comin up anytime soon...its gonna be a loooong off season

Ya'll have NO IDEA what kind of team ou'll have next year with the loss of several key starters. I would focus on staying above 500, rather than buying into a prediction in January. <_<

and we have NO IDEA what kind of team nu'll have next year with the loss of several key starters. Or tx or TT.... etc., etc., etc.

but this is the internet...

we are all experts. ;)

Really shouldn't be that hard next year IMO.

Nah I think Kansas should be pretty tough, not that we can't beat em. And with Mizzou and Colorado you never know either. But hey, thats not comin up anytime soon...its gonna be a loooong off season

Ya'll have NO IDEA what kind of team ou'll have next year with the loss of several key starters. I would focus on staying above 500, rather than buying into a prediction in January. <_<

and we have NO IDEA what kind of team nu'll have next year with the loss of several key starters. Or tx or TT.... etc., etc., etc.

but this is the internet...

we are all experts. ;)

Clone,

Correction, I am an expert EVERYWHERE :lol:

we figure because mortensen and rivera are gone on top of the fact KU's defenses still wasn't good with those players playing.

Pretty much, yeah.

Do you know Stuckey isn't going pro, too?

Before we assume anything about a team and how bad there D was. Please look in the mirror people. Some of you act like Nebraska D was top notch. It wasnt. Was it better than last year. Hell yeah it was. It would be nearly impossible to get any worse. Ku was not great on D, no big 12 team was. But like I said before NU was GREATLY helped by an O, that held the ball and played keep away VERY sucsessfully. That is a great credit to the offense and Joe Ganz more specifically. His play making did alot to extend drives and get first downs. Nebraska's avgs per play are no better than KU's. But again a fast paced O like what KU/MU/TT and others run do nothing to help their rankings. KU didnt run near as many plays as MU but still left their Defence on the field for almost 10 more plays a game then NU. Doesnt sound like alot untill you see that NE gave up almost 6 yards a play on D. 10 more plays equals 60 more yards. That is enough to move NE from #56 to #97 in total D. MU defended 20 more plays a game. adding 120 more yrds to NU totals. That would give them the #116th D. This is not to say there is anything wrong with what Nebraska did. Infact I wish MU would have slowed it way down to help out there D. Just stating its not like teams were not moving the ball on NE. It had much more to do with the number of plays NE saw compared to the others. Again, this is a credit to NE and their staff for recognizing about half way through the year they could not afford to go at a quick pace.

As I joked before Numbers and Stats are good but can easily be manipulated (always right 100% of the time, 60% of the time). Just because Nebraska gave up an avg of nearly 6 yrds a play doesnt mean the extra 20 plays would go for 120 more yrds. Maybe they go for 200, maybe 50. It really doesnt matter.

And why are Nebraskas unproven players better than KU's or MU's or TT's or anybodys? Maybe they are, maybe not. Chances are they are probably about the same... okay back on track people...

The whole point is, its too early and this sort of 'matter of fact' crap is just that, ... crap. Not that anyone cares but I think the biggest loss NU will have from this years Defense wears the #12. Joe Ganz. That is not saying that NE didnt have some good D players. I would even say Suh and Stienkuler were great. It is just of my opinion that Ganz's ability to make plays and consitantly move the ball was the largest factor to NE sucsesses the second half of the year.

And please dont preach to me about what you did to Clemson. That team sucks on O. One of the worst 30 teams in college football on offense. Not to mention that they have a spaz for a QB. He may be the only guy that sucked worst that Daniel did. <_<

BTW the only team that had a shut out in the big 12 this year....my Tigers. They have a freakin shut down D baby!!! (just how bad did CU have to play in that game...) :lol:

Well, for starters, Nebraska was actually able to shut down Baylor.

I know. Too bad you actually let Colorado put you on the ropes. Your game - over when your kicker hits miracle kick from 57 to bail your team out with less then 1 minute left on your home field

MU's Game - over when Mu didnt show up late for kickoff.

:clap

Before we assume anything about a team and how bad there D was. Please look in the mirror people. Some of you act like Nebraska D was top notch. It wasnt. Was it better than last year. Hell yeah it was. It would be nearly impossible to get any worse. Ku was not great on D, no big 12 team was. But like I said before NU was GREATLY helped by an O, that held the ball and played keep away VERY sucsessfully. That is a great credit to the offense and Joe Ganz more specifically. His play making did alot to extend drives and get first downs. Nebraska's avgs per play are no better than KU's. But again a fast paced O like what KU/MU/TT and others run do nothing to help their rankings. KU didnt run near as many plays as MU but still left their Defence on the field for almost 10 more plays a game then NU. Doesnt sound like alot untill you see that NE gave up almost 6 yards a play on D. 10 more plays equals 60 more yards. That is enough to move NE from #56 to #97 in total D. MU defended 20 more plays a game. adding 120 more yrds to NU totals. That would give them the #116th D. This is not to say there is anything wrong with what Nebraska did. Infact I wish MU would have slowed it way down to help out there D. Just stating its not like teams were not moving the ball on NE. It had much more to do with the number of plays NE saw compared to the others. Again, this is a credit to NE and their staff for recognizing about half way through the year they could not afford to go at a quick pace.

As I joked before Numbers and Stats are good but can easily be manipulated (always right 100% of the time, 60% of the time). Just because Nebraska gave up an avg of nearly 6 yrds a play doesnt mean the extra 20 plays would go for 120 more yrds. Maybe they go for 200, maybe 50. It really doesnt matter.

And why are Nebraskas unproven players better than KU's or MU's or TT's or anybodys? Maybe they are, maybe not. Chances are they are probably about the same... okay back on track people...

The whole point is, its too early and this sort of 'matter of fact' crap is just that, ... crap. Not that anyone cares but I think the biggest loss NU will have from this years Defense wears the #12. Joe Ganz. That is not saying that NE didnt have some good D players. I would even say Suh and Stienkuler were great. It is just of my opinion that Ganz's ability to make plays and consitantly move the ball was the largest factor to NE sucsesses the second half of the year.

And please dont preach to me about what you did to Clemson. That team sucks on O. One of the worst 30 teams in college football on offense. Not to mention that they have a spaz for a QB. He may be the only guy that sucked worst that Daniel did. <_<

BTW the only team that had a shut out in the big 12 this year....my Tigers. They have a freakin shut down D baby!!! (just how bad did CU have to play in that game...) :lol:

My God, information overload in that first paragraph.

Nebraska wins more games when humidity is 5%, the sun is at a 78.6 degree angle, and Pluto is aligned with Mars. << Doesn't make a lot of sense does it? I think, given the season being over, we all can't sit here and think about the "what-ifs" of last season and just pull crap out of anywhere.

People are saying Nebraska's unproven players are better than anybody else for a few simple reasons.

1) Bo Pelini and Staff = Gods Among Men

2) TT and MU lose a ridiculous amount of starters. KU is a bit of a stretch, and I think will be the most balanced team next year.

3) I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that Bo Pelini is the best defensive mind in the Big 12 right now. If he has the defense playing at the level he wants them to be at next year, or even close, Nebraska will be the best defense in the Big 12. Even Texas's Muschamp couldn't escape a horrific passing defense.

Oh yeah, and did I mention all Nebraskans think Bo Pelini and his staff are Gods?