Comparing Castille to Alexander

I agree. This comparison is horrible. Dan "punch your ticket" Alexander would stumble forward for 4 yards. He always started his descent to the ground after the first bit of contact. He had fumble problems because his "biceps were too big." Castille is quite obviously much more athletic than Dan Alexander.

1st & 10 - Gain 4 yards

2nd & 6 - Gain 4 yards

3rd & 2 - Gain 4 yards

1st & 10....

Doesn't seem too horrible of a concept. Didn't the option/running game at Nebraska for years under Devaney, Osborne and Solich adopt the mindset and the phrase "Three yards and a cloud of dust"???

That quote came about because of Woody Hayes and his "keep the ball type of offence", he coached at Ohio St.

GBR!!!

Alexander was fast 4.4 speed, Castille is not fast, 4.6 at best! Alexander was more compact also. Both liked to fumble!

Yeah, I seem to remember Dan Alexander's Alamo Bowl wiping the floor with Quentin Castille's Gator Bowl.

And I only need go back a few weeks to find this very board filled with people convinced Castille shouldn't even be carrying the ball if any other back was healthy.

Yeah you are right, and also I believe some ppeople thought that maybe the coaches should move him to LB. LOL. I remember Alexander and Buckhalter taking turns catching the fumblitis. Buckhalter is doing very well now though.

I agree. This comparison is horrible. Dan "punch your ticket" Alexander would stumble forward for 4 yards. He always started his descent to the ground after the first bit of contact. He had fumble problems because his "biceps were too big." Castille is quite obviously much more athletic than Dan Alexander.

1st & 10 - Gain 4 yards

2nd & 6 - Gain 4 yards

3rd & 2 - Gain 4 yards

1st & 10....

Doesn't seem too horrible of a concept. Didn't the option/running game at Nebraska for years under Devaney, Osborne and Solich adopt the mindset and the phrase "Three yards and a cloud of dust"???

watch this video and tell me that the guy isn't a homerun threat:

oh, and I guess he couldn't take hits either and keep going. Watch this video as well. (sorry about the crappy rap)

That 12-1, second-ranked 1999 Husker team led the nation in fumbles. I'm guessing that doesn't happen very often.

Though I do remember those great Oklahoma teams of the 1970s dropping the pumpkin all over the place.

TO's 90's title teams didn't turn the ball over. If the 99 team didn't choke in Austin they would have saved Solich's job! DC also played soft and it cost NU, but McBride came with everything in the rematch, but it was to late for a MNC!

In regards to the 'reading comprehension' - comprehend yourself. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with a guy getting 4 yards. I am defending Alexander.

Also, I am aware that Alexander had speed. I don't need to watch the video to show he could break away....if he held onto the ball.

Also, also...I know that the "3 Yards...Dust" came from Woody Hayes...that's why I used the word "ADOPT".

In regards to the 'reading comprehension' - comprehend yourself. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with a guy getting 4 yards. I am defending Alexander.

Also, I am aware that Alexander had speed. I don't need to watch the video to show he could break away....if he held onto the ball.

Also, also...I know that the "3 Yards...Dust" came from Woody Hayes...that's why I used the word "ADOPT".

My bad cmb, I replied to the wrong quote, it was meant for newenglandhusker's comment

I think the comparison between Castille and Alexander is a very good and accurate. Alexander was a very good back in my mind. Although he was not the most agile back, he had good north-south speed and was very physical. He did have a fumbling issue, much like Castille. Castille is more athletic and I think is more talented. But Alexander has always been one of my favorite huskers, and not only was a good player but a great person. I hope Castille can have as good of a career as Alexander had at Nebraska. Lot of comparisions, Alexander and Buckhalter/Castille and Helu.

We would have been national champions in 1999 had Alexander not fumbled away the Texas game.

Plus, Castille has more moves than Alexander (lol). Alexander was a brutal straight-ahead runner (tank, more like), but Q has at least *a few* moves. I don't remember Alexander's speed off the top of my head but you guys said he had it so I'll take your word for it.

Once I saw Dan Alexander at Chile's in Lincoln after a game. A man in his 50s approached Dan quite sheepishly and told him "good game" before quickly shuffling away like a 9 year old. Would Quentin Castille garner that kind of reverence?

I do not think he would....today. His senior year? maybe. If he continues to play his role (whatever that might be with regards to other backs) and humbly bruise and bash people, I think he will get there.

Q has two years to build his resume. Right now everyone is comparing him to Dan's last season, not Dan's season as a sophomore. And I would challenge anyone who thinks we have seen Q's best football.

Let's have this conversation after Castille's senior season, when who knows how he will develop. He has had 1 year with this coaching staff and already his fumbling problems have lessened. They will continue to lessen and his playmaking abilities will increase.

His legacy will come down to people he has ran over and first-downs and touchdowns he picked up through his sheer desire when there seemed to be nothing there.

Also, no one is talking about him as a receiver vs. Alexander as a receiver....how do those things compare? Cause Q is pretty good catching the ball.

Once I saw Dan Alexander at Chile's in Lincoln after a game. A man in his 50s approached Dan quite sheepishly and told him "good game" before quickly shuffling away like a 9 year old. Would Quentin Castille garner that kind of reverence?

I do not think he would....today. His senior year? maybe. If he continues to play his role (whatever that might be with regards to other backs) and humbly bruise and bash people, I think he will get there.

Q has two years to build his resume. Right now everyone is comparing him to Dan's last season, not Dan's season as a sophomore. And I would challenge anyone who thinks we have seen Q's best football.

Let's have this conversation after Castille's senior season, when who knows how he will develop. He has had 1 year with this coaching staff and already his fumbling problems have lessened. They will continue to lessen and his playmaking abilities will increase.

His legacy will come down to people he has ran over and first-downs and touchdowns he picked up through his sheer desire when there seemed to be nothing there.

Also, no one is talking about him as a receiver vs. Alexander as a receiver....how do those things compare? Cause Q is pretty good catching the ball.

Alexander won husker power off season contest for his position and the team. He ran a 4.4, Castille is no where near as fast.

We would have been national champions in 1999 had Alexander not fumbled away the Texas game.

Plus, Castille has more moves than Alexander (lol). Alexander was a brutal straight-ahead runner (tank, more like), but Q has at least *a few* moves. I don't remember Alexander's speed off the top of my head but you guys said he had it so I'll take your word for it.

Take a look at that video link posted earlier. Alexander had legit speed and weighed 240. In the video (against Colorado in '99) he goes straight up the middle, breaks 2 tackles and then runs away from 4 defenders for an 80 yard TD. The only defender that keeps the same pace (4 yards behind) is Ben Kelley a 175 lb DB.

Kelly was an All American in track for Colorado and ran a 6.78 indoor 60m and a 21.53 200m. So yeah...Alexander had wheels...more than Q I'd venture to say.

Take a look at that video link posted earlier. Alexander had legit speed and weighed 240. In the video (against Colorado in '99) he goes straight up the middle, breaks 2 tackles and then runs away from 4 defenders for an 80 yard TD. The only defender that keeps the same pace (4 yards behind) is Ben Kelley a 175 lb DB.

Kelly was an All American in track for Colorado and ran a 6.78 indoor 60m and a 21.53 200m. So yeah...Alexander had wheels...more than Q I'd venture to say.

Must have overlooked that link . . . dang, he could really fly. Shame he'll be remembered more for his butterfingers than his speed.