Cody Green=Tyrell Pryor?

Alright so im not one for comparisons. but as i watched the fiesta bowl this evening pryor is a stud running the ball. if he could get down the throwing part and decision making hes going to find himself heisman hopeful real quick.

I think we might have a similar kid in cody green. only hes spose to be able to throw the ball! take notes watson. could be the star were waiting for. any thoughts?

OK, let's not heap the hype on this kid, because that's the last thing he needs and it's getting way out of hand. It's not even merited. Not every four-star "mobile" QB is Vince Young or Terrelle Pryor. Just like not every white WR who has some success is Wes Welker.

I think we might have a similar kid in cody green. only hes spose to be able to throw the ball! take notes watson. could be the star were waiting for. any thoughts?

In fact, Green is not supposed to be able to throw the ball (see recruiting thread). He is looking at a redshirt year and he *could* develop into a quality starter for us, just like Lee, Witt, and Spano right now could.

sorry to catch you guys on a bad night. just looking for some conversation. not a bashing. or we can talk about the gator bowl til april.

Some people just need to put their tampon in and call it a night. I for one, can only hope Cody Green turns out to be a stud, but it's just to early to tell right now.

I hope he isnt a Terrell Pryor...I really, really dislike Pryor's decision making and throwing abilities. Not to mention the guy ran out of bounds a few times when he could have easily picked up and extra 5-7 yards.

I can only hope that Cody Green will be Cody Green and some other teams and other boards will make comparisons with their incoming recruits, saying Recruit X=Cody Green?

I am really in love with the way this guy plays football. When he does run the ball he takes huge strides, much like Vince Young. I am just ready for the spring game to see what he's got. I, for one, think he is going to be a baller.

In fact, Green is not supposed to be able to throw the ball (see recruiting thread). He is looking at a redshirt year and he *could* develop into a quality starter for us, just like Lee, Witt, and Spano right now could.

According to Rivals, his 2008 passing stats were as follows:

230 of 351 (65%), 3226 yards, 36 TD, 5 INT

If that is not being able to throw the ball, I sure wish I was not able to throw the ball.

OK, let's not heap the hype on this kid, because that's the last thing he needs and it's getting way out of hand. It's not even merited. Not every four-star "mobile" QB is Vince Young or Terrelle Pryor. Just like not every white WR who has some success is Wes Welker.

you caught that when swift was compared to welker and stokely by the CBS announcers? lol

According to Rivals, his 2008 passing stats were as follows:

230 of 351 (65%), 3226 yards, 36 TD, 5 INT

If that is not being able to throw the ball, I sure wish I was not able to throw the ball.

Cody Green also goes to high school, where you'll seen running backs rack up 10ypc+.

Cody needs a RS, that is without question. Cody is very green (no pun intended) as a passer and needs to refine his mechanics along with other things like knowing when to rifle a pass or put some air under it.

I actually can't find another post I'm thinking of, but BigWillie talks about how Cody's throwing right now is all arm and he will definitely need to get that fixed for the long term.

My apologies to Lyons in the Sea of Red; I didn't mean to sound confrontational. For discussion then, IMO, there is a widespread and somewhat naive impression people have that Cody is an athletic freak of nature who is a polished passer. Cody Green is many good things, but he is not Tommie Frazier and Peyton Manning rolled into one.

By all indications he sounds like a great kid and a veritable balla, but we've seen here on this board many more in-depth reports on his abilities right now and they say this: potential through the roof, and project. Unless these reports are WAY off, he will redshirt. And it will be up to him to make his career a good one. The worst thing we can do is to weigh him down with expectations, like Lucky and Beck. He needs to develop into the best player he can be without the entire state watching him and tapping their fingers impatiently, waiting for a Heisman and 1500 rushing yards to go with a 180 passer rating.

Cody Green also goes to high school, where you'll seen running backs rack up 10ypc+.

I don't know if that needed clarification. Yes, we all realize he is in high school, and he is playing against fellow high schoolers, of course. But does that mean you discredit stats completely? Of course not. AAAA high school football in Texas is nothing to scoff at. We're not talking about eight-man football here. There are some pretty impressive athletes on that level. And Cody's numbers are impressive for just about any level if you ask me. They are better than Pryor's (whose completion percentages were in the low to mid 50s) who played in a smaller class in PA. Now I'm not calling Green the next Vince Young of course, as I've seen way too many major recruiting busts at Nebraska (don't forget Curt Dukes!). But there's nothing wrong with being excited about him, and having good reason to believe he has the tools to be a successful D1 passer.

I actually can't find another post I'm thinking of, but BigWillie talks about how Cody's throwing right now is all arm and he will definitely need to get that fixed for the long term.

My apologies to Lyons in the Sea of Red; I didn't mean to sound confrontational. For discussion then, IMO, there is a widespread and somewhat naive impression people have that Cody is an athletic freak of nature who is a polished passer. Cody Green is many good things, but he is not Tommie Frazier and Peyton Manning rolled into one.

By all indications he sounds like a great kid and a veritable balla, but we've seen here on this board many more in-depth reports on his abilities right now and they say this: potential through the roof, and project. Unless these reports are WAY off, he will redshirt. And it will be up to him to make his career a good one. The worst thing we can do is to weigh him down with expectations, like Lucky and Beck. He needs to develop into the best player he can be without the entire state watching him and tapping their fingers impatiently, waiting for a Heisman and 1500 rushing yards to go with a 180 passer rating.

If anyone is weighing these kids down with expectations, it's not the fault of HuskerBoard, or even the Husker fan base in general. It's the hundred million-dollar recruiting services that turn high school seniors into superstars before they even step on a college football field. Nothing we say (or don't say) here is going to slow those companies down. So I say, have fun! Keep your feet in the ground, but your head in the clouds. We all know the chances of Cody being the next Tommie Frazier are slim, but we can dream! Having absurd and irrationally high expectations is a fun part of being a fan. Hell, I know the odds of us winning the national championship next year are about 0.00261%, but don't think I won't make time to slip on my rose-colored glasses and think we have a chance.

I like to think of Cody Green with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with, like, an angel band. But if he doesn't turn out that way, I won't be down on him. I just hope he works hard and develops into the best player he's capable of being. And by the way, I fully expect him to redshirt next year.

All that being said, I hope he turns out better than Pryor, who is a very mediocre passer and shies away from contact like no one I've ever seen before. I almost got sick watching him run out of bounds well before making contact with any defender, regardless if the first down marker was near. Even most of the million dollar assets in the NFL aren't that frightened of taking on a tackler.

:cheers

im on the JTrain.

i always loved div. 1 college ball because its the chance for guys to prove themselves. to themselves. having been their and done that, with plenty of family going there and doing that, i think i have a pretty firm base to stand on saying that the whole recruiting thing, and what they think of your opinion, ultimately means nothing in the end. go throw your totinos in the oven and wait for the games to start, and say crap about them then. even if you were somehow right, youre just throwing boomerangs, hoping they come back.

Alright so im not one for comparisons. but as i watched the fiesta bowl this evening pryor is a stud running the ball. if he could get down the throwing part and decision making hes going to find himself heisman hopeful real quick.

i wouldn't hype this kid up that much Pryor is an amazing athlete and to be honest Green is just great, (pryor 4.4 speed, and Green 4.6 maybe 4.5 on a good day) Green is by far the better passer though. but if we really want Green to be the next Turner Gill or Tommie Frazier we need to give him some time in our offense so i'm thinking we will see him on the field in around 2-3 years.