Predict the scores for the 2009 schedule

JTrain

I will try something different and group the schedule into difficulty level rather than just go in schedule order.

Group 1 - Extremely Easy:

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

These will be wins. I hate to make such a bold statement, but, I'm going to anyway. Expect a few hickups in the first game while the offense/defense tie up some loose ends.

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

These games will be wins too, as both teams have new coaches and I just don't seem them being competitive for a few more years (assuming they ever become competitive).

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

All of the above games are of medium difficulty for different reasons. Three out of the four are away, which automatically makes things more difficult.

I feel Nebraska will beat Missouri. Missouri loses three key players on offense, who will be very hard to replace. Their defense wasn't good at all last year, and I expect some improvement, but not much. I also think the Mizzou offensive line will have all kinds of difficulties with the Dline. I don't think standing 6-8 (or whatever) yards back is going to help....

I still don't think Tech will be able to stop the run, and lucky for Nebraska that should be one of their strong points. The Tech offense should be decent, but losing Crabtree is HUGE.

Baylor will be tough. They have a great running QB, which historically gives Bo problems. However, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with how NU handles Mr. Griffin...

Colorado always plays us tough; especially when on their home turf. This isn't a gimme game either, although Colorado is going to need to get some wide receivers and a QB if they want to hang with ANYONE in the Big 12. And no, Cody Hawkins does not count as a QB.

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

As much as it annoys me, Kansas will be a very hard team to beat at Lawrence (unless you're from the South). They return Reesing - who reminds me of Ganz...or Ganz reminds me of Reesing - who obviously puts Kansas at a huge advantage in the North. Briscoe is...well, he's ridiculous. Speaking of which, any new updates on him? Last I heard he was suspended.

I see Kansas really committing to the run this year. Mangino is no idiot, and I think he knows the importance of the run-game (see 2008 NU vs. KU game). Crawford's role is in question due to the suspension, and many question whether or not he will be back with the team at all.

Sharp will contribute and I think Lewis also will, but I still don't see the running game taking off. It will be better than last year though. The offense will be okay though.

I think the biggest questions are on D. The D was in the lower half in all major defensive categories during league play, and they lose three starting linebackers. Stuckey returns, which should help the secondary, but the Dline is going to need to get pressure on the QB and stop the run if this defense is to do anything in 2009.

This game will be close. I think the game will be won by the team that plays better D and takes care of the ball better. I will put a "W" down for Nebraska.

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

First away game for a starting QB and it's in Blacksburg? This will be Nebraska's first challenge of the year and it is a HUGE challenge. Virginia Tech will be good. Alabama will go down. I don't see Nebraska winning this game, but I didn't see VT winning against Nebraska last year, so anything can happen. However, I think I will put this down as a loss.

We get Oklahoma at home, but it's not going to help. While I don't think this Oklahoma team will be as good as last year's team, they will still be better than all of the North teams by a pretty big margin. Oklahoma wins.

So, according to me as of April 23rd, Nebraska will go 10-2. However, I will most likely change my mind in the fall before the season starts.

No matter what, I predict NU to take the North (even if KU does beat us, they have a tougher schedule than we do) and Texas to take the South (watch out for Oklahoma State though...that's right, I said Oklahoma STATE).

Nailed it! I think MU and CU might belong in the Hard category, but that is very close to my feelings. Thanks for the post.

I don't understand why people think we are going to lose to VT.

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would think VT could beat us. I mean, a team with a returning starter at QB (who is 13-2 in his career) coming off a season where they won the ACC championship game and a BCS bowl game by a combined 31 points. Not to mention the fact that they're 30-4 at Lane in the past five years and we're bringing in a first-year starter at QB with almost no game experience. Oh, and they beat us last year in Lincoln.

Let's be honest, FAU has a better shot at beating us.

:sarcasm

well let's really look at it that returning qb you speak of isn't that great he only completes 57 percent which is average at best and alot of his balls can be picked. and as far as being the acc champs well they won it because they are the best(maybe) and that says nothing.(it's like being miss trailer trash) and they beat UC so lets not pretend that's like beating usc or florida.

well let's really look at it that returning qb you speak of isn't that great he only completes 57 percent which is average at best and alot of his balls can be picked. and as far as being the acc champs well they won it because they are the best(maybe) and that says nothing.(it's like being miss trailer trash) and they beat UC so lets not pretend that's like beating usc or florida.

Completion percentage doesn't tell the whole story, especially when it comes to dual-threat quarterbacks. Tommie Frazier completed 49% of his career passes... would you call him average at best?

Taylor completed just nine passes last year as an inexperienced true sophomore in Lincoln. Yet he also ran for 87 yards, and VT put up 35 points on us (and beat us). Taylor will come into next year's game having started 17 games including several really big-stage games. Zac Lee will come in with two games experience against FAU and Arkansas St.

Oh, and did I mention VT is 30-4 in the past five years in Blacksburg?

I hope it's a good game, and we have a chance to pull the upset. But it clearly would be just that... an upset.

Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would think VT could beat us. I mean, a team with a returning starter at QB (who is 13-2 in his career) coming off a season where they won the ACC championship game and a BCS bowl game by a combined 31 points. Not to mention the fact that they're 30-4 at Lane in the past five years and we're bringing in a first-year starter at QB with almost no game experience. Oh, and they beat us last year in Lincoln.

"it's like being miss trailer trash"...

Winning the ACC still makes the Hokie nation proud. Not only do you insult me as a football fan and a Hokie, but also fine programs like Miami, Clemson, and FSU - programs that have a long tradition of dominating college football. As with any conference, the ACC has probably not been where it could be for the last few years, but we still take pride in our teams and the sport we love! I am also certain that most Huskers would congratulate Cincy on their fine season last year.

Having been to Lincoln last year (I go to every away game no matter where) I never met a single Husker fan that insulted us, before or after the game. Even after we "stole" a win we had people come up to us to thank us for coming to Memorial Stadium.

As for our QB - he has developed quickly and don't forget that he was a true soph when he was in Lincoln last year. He has only started 15 games and has had to carry an extremely young offense. Although I would not compare our team to USC or Florida, we have put together 5 consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins. Not too bad for someone from the trailer-park! I look forward to seeing the Huskers again this fall - in fact, it is probably the game I look the most forward to because our trip to Lincoln made me a "closet" Husker fan, and I will dismiss your comments as a little too much excitement during the off-season.

"it's like being miss trailer trash"...

Winning the ACC still makes the Hokie nation proud. Not only do you insult me as a football fan and a Hokie, but also fine programs like Miami, Clemson, and FSU - programs that have a long tradition of dominating college football. As with any conference, the ACC has probably not been where it could be for the last few years, but we still take pride in our teams and the sport we love! I am also certain that most Huskers would congratulate Cincy on their fine season last year.

Having been to Lincoln last year (I go to every away game no matter where) I never met a single Husker fan that insulted us, before or after the game. Even after we "stole" a win we had people come up to us to thank us for coming to Memorial Stadium.

As for our QB - he has developed quickly and don't forget that he was a true soph when he was in Lincoln last year. He has only started 15 games and has had to carry an extremely young offense. Although I would not compare our team to USC or Florida, we have put together 5 consecutive seasons with at least 10 wins. Not too bad for someone from the trailer-park! I look forward to seeing the Huskers again this fall - in fact, it is probably the game I look the most forward to because our trip to Lincoln made me a "closet" Husker fan, and I will dismiss your comments as a little too much excitement during the off-season.

Hokieluv, most Husker fans don't act like this guy. The ACC was extremely competitive last year. Tyrod has been a great qb. I'd take a qb with a great winning percentage over a qb with a great completion percentage any day. He gets it done!

I know you were joking but most of us know you didn't "steal" a win in Lincoln. You came in and won. You did it the VaTech way . . . with solid, smash mouth football.

As much as it hurts us to say it, VaTech has been a better program of late than Nebraska. Thanks for your classy posts.

Completion percentage doesn't tell the whole story, especially when it comes to dual-threat quarterbacks. Tommie Frazier completed 49% of his career passes... would you call him average at best?

No, it doesn't. However, that wasn't what the Nebraska offenses (at that time) emphasized either.

While Taylor is a great athlete, he will never be known for his arm. I have also read reports that the coaches are trying to get him to change his throwing motion. Is this true? If it is...HUGE mistake. You never, ever want to try to change someone's throwing motion so that it is "right". Obviously, they have made it that far doing it the way they feel comfortable and IT HAS WORKED, so why change it?

When someone like Taylor throws, it may not look pretty or "correct", but it is what's natural to him. You tell him to throw it overhead and show him the "correct" way, he starts thinking about that more. It becomes very unnatural and causes great problems.

Now, Taylor may not have a problem with this change. But, I just think it's stupid to try and get someone to change their throwing motion when it has obviously worked up to this point. Should be interesting to see how this affects him.

Oh, and did I mention VT is 30-4 in the past five years in Blacksburg?

I hope it's a good game, and we have a chance to pull the upset. But it clearly would be just that... an upset.

Agreed. It will be VERY tough to beat them in their house. It would be a great victory for Nebraska to get a W and would pave the way for the rest of the season.

I think they have a pretty good chance. If the defense plays as good as reports indicate and if Zac Lee is as good as he looks and is able to keep himself calm and collective in such a hostile environment - for lack of a better term - I think Nebraska has a great chance to win. Let us not forget that while Lee is no Taylor, he can run ALOT better than Ganz can.

Should be interesting.

No, it doesn't. However, that wasn't what the Nebraska offenses (at that time) emphasized either.

While Taylor is a great athlete, he will never be known for his arm. I have also read reports that the coaches are trying to get him to change his throwing motion. Is this true? If it is...HUGE mistake. You never, ever want to try to change someone's throwing motion so that it is "right". Obviously, they have made it that far doing it the way they feel comfortable and IT HAS WORKED, so why change it?

When someone like Taylor throws, it may not look pretty or "correct", but it is what's natural to him. You tell him to throw it overhead and show him the "correct" way, he starts thinking about that more. It becomes very unnatural and causes great problems.

Now, Taylor may not have a problem with this change. But, I just think it's stupid to try and get someone to change their throwing motion when it has obviously worked up to this point. Should be interesting to see how this affects him.

While you make a good point, this isn't necessarily true all the time as you make it seem. I have read a lot of articles and even seen a few stories on ESPN of quarterbacks changing their throwing motions and it working out for the better. Hell, ESPN did like a 15 minute show of Tim Tebow in 2007 and all the stuff he does to make sure his throw is perfect, accurate, and has the right touch on it.

So, while it may not work for everyone, some people can pull off the change effectively. :box

Florida Atlantic: W 42-10

Arkansas St: W 49-7

@ Va. Tech: W 17-13

Louisiana-Lafayette: W 45-17

@ Missouri: W 28-24

Texas Tech: W 42-38

Iowa State: W 35-14

@ Baylor: W 38-24

Oklahoma: L 42-45

@ Kansas: W 42-31

Kansas State: W 42-10

@ Colorado: W 35-24

Big XII Champ. Texas: W 43-41 OT

BCS Championship - Clemson: L 28-24 :clap (LOL. I wish.)

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

As much as it annoys me, Kansas will be a very hard team to beat at Lawrence (unless you're from the South). They return Reesing - who reminds me of Ganz...or Ganz reminds me of Reesing - who obviously puts Kansas at a huge advantage in the North. Briscoe is...well, he's ridiculous. Speaking of which, any new updates on him? Last I heard he was suspended.

I see Kansas really committing to the run this year. Mangino is no idiot, and I think he knows the importance of the run-game (see 2008 NU vs. KU game). Crawford's role is in question due to the suspension, and many question whether or not he will be back with the team at all.

Sharp will contribute and I think Lewis also will, but I still don't see the running game taking off. It will be better than last year though. The offense will be okay though.

I think the biggest questions are on D. The D was in the lower half in all major defensive categories during league play, and they lose three starting linebackers. Stuckey returns, which should help the secondary, but the Dline is going to need to get pressure on the QB and stop the run if this defense is to do anything in 2009.

This game will be close. I think the game will be won by the team that plays better D and takes care of the ball better. I will put a "W" down for Nebraska.

Briscoe was reinstated, however Crawford is still out and might be for the start of the season. I agree that Kansas is going to be tough due to their offense. Could very well be a shoot out. Game could depend on how Sharp does. We shut him down last year, but if he has a break out game like he did against OU then KU is tough.

Lol I like the Big XII Championship score..it means we either get shifty and go for two points after a TD or we get a 75 yard sack for a safety. :laughpound

Lol I like the Big XII Championship score..it means we either get shifty and go for two points after a TD or we get a 75 yard sack for a safety. :laughpound

The Texas D will be tough in the Red Zone so I think you will get your 43 points through 12 FGs and 1 TD on the opening kick.

I will try something different and group the schedule into difficulty level rather than just go in schedule order.

Group 1 - Extremely Easy:

Florida Atlantic - W

Arkansas St. - W

Louisiana-Lafayette - W

These will be wins. I hate to make such a bold statement, but, I'm going to anyway. Expect a few hickups in the first game while the offense/defense tie up some loose ends.

Group 2 - Easy:

Iowa State - W

Kansas State - W

These games will be wins too, as both teams have new coaches and I just don't seem them being competitive for a few more years (assuming they ever become competitive).

Group 3 - Medium:

@ Missouri - W

Texas Tech - W

@ Baylor - W

@ Colorado - W

All of the above games are of medium difficulty for different reasons. Three out of the four are away, which automatically makes things more difficult.

I feel Nebraska will beat Missouri. Missouri loses three key players on offense, who will be very hard to replace. Their defense wasn't good at all last year, and I expect some improvement, but not much. I also think the Mizzou offensive line will have all kinds of difficulties with the Dline. I don't think standing 6-8 (or whatever) yards back is going to help....

I still don't think Tech will be able to stop the run, and lucky for Nebraska that should be one of their strong points. The Tech offense should be decent, but losing Crabtree is HUGE.

Baylor will be tough. They have a great running QB, which historically gives Bo problems. However, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with how NU handles Mr. Griffin...

Colorado always plays us tough; especially when on their home turf. This isn't a gimme game either, although Colorado is going to need to get some wide receivers and a QB if they want to hang with ANYONE in the Big 12. And no, Cody Hawkins does not count as a QB.

Group 4 - Hard

@ Kansas - W

Group 5 - Extremely Hard

@ Va. Tech - L

Oklahoma - L

First away game for a starting QB and it's in Blacksburg? This will be Nebraska's first challenge of the year and it is a HUGE challenge. Virginia Tech will be good. Alabama will go down. I don't see Nebraska winning this game, but I didn't see VT winning against Nebraska last year, so anything can happen. However, I think I will put this down as a loss.

We get Oklahoma at home, but it's not going to help. While I don't think this Oklahoma team will be as good as last year's team, they will still be better than all of the North teams by a pretty big margin. Oklahoma wins.

So, according to me as of April 23rd, Nebraska will go 10-2. However, I will most likely change my mind in the fall before the season starts.

No matter what, I predict NU to take the North (even if KU does beat us, they have a tougher schedule than we do) and Texas to take the South (watch out for Oklahoma State though...that's right, I said Oklahoma STATE).

Nailed it! I think MU and CU might belong in the Hard category, but that is very close to my feelings. Thanks for the post.

FAU needs to be in the "easy" not "extremely easy" group... They have some talent down there and are getting better... They could play with us for a quarter or two.... I would actually swap ISU and FAU

FAU - W - easy

Arkansas St. - W - easier

@ Virginia Tech - L - returning almost everyone. Close like last year

ULL - W - um.......easy

@ Missouri - L - haven't won in Columbia since 2001. Were losing games there before Maclin and Daniel were out of highschool. I think that will continue

Texas Tech - L -This is one of those, you need to actually pick it the week the play it games. Could be switched

Iowa State - W - its iowa state...sorry cy.

@ Baylor - L - Another flip flop game. They should only get better. close game but intill NE actually stops a running QB my vote goes to Griffin

Oklahoma - L - no way in hell, well maybe a slight chance, but very unlikely

@ Kansas - L - KU returns by far the most talent of the North. Reesing as a Senior, in Lawerance, just too much

Kansas St. - W - not this year, if ever...

@ Colorado - W - Cu could give NE a hell of a game. There should be healthier, they couldnt possibly lose as many players as they did this year....

6-6 or 8-4. Ofcourse I reserve all rights to change my mind once we actually see who is playing QB and if the WR's can step up and be a #1/#2 guy. Slauson and Murtha will need to be replaced, your new LB's have to be able to tackle and run and of course the DB's have to not suck like they have the past 2 years. Plus seeing the other teams on the schedule would help also. :dunno

SO this is my WAY TO DARN early to really know anything post. I know you want to bookmark it so you can throw it back in my face should I be way off. Thats cool as long as your willing to see my "I am the smartest person on this board :horns2 " post should I be right :clap

I'm more worried about playing at Baylor than at Missouri. I could see them dropping one of those games, but not both.

Assuming NU's offense can produce close to what they did this year, they should beat KU by a couple possessions. NU's lines will dominate in the second half of that game.

Thats a BIG if. I love you guys, but you can't spend the last year telling everyone just how great Ganz is. Going on and on about if he was in a different conference he would be one of the top QB's in the country. Then turn around and pretend like someone who has never seen the field, or a true freshman for that matter will pick up where he left off.

Do I believe Gabbert/Dalton/Glasier will pick up where CD was last year and the first 5 games this year. No way in the world. Can they do what he did the last half of the year. Yeah they could. Will they...thats a whole nother issue.

Like I said i researve the right to change the picks, its January for cryin out loud...

I never thought I would agree with a Tiger fan, but I do. Fro Daddy, you hit the nail on the head. Here's the thing...and I've been trying to say this as nicely as possible. Husker fans are in for a Rude awakening if they think their offense will be just as good as last years....it just won't. I see a big step back, while I believe the defense will improve. The bottom line is losing a QB like Ganz is gonna kill....then throw in the fact that you lost most of your skill positions. You shouldn't expect to roll up points like you did last year. Mistakes will be made by the young guys and you'll see plenty of growing pains for the offense. You can only hope that the defense can carry you through.

Nebraska will go 8-4. Nothing wrong with that.