The patience of Tom Osborne on offense?

rkhufu7

Other than Paul Johnson or Urban Meyer, is there a D1 HC that has the courage to stick with his running game w/o going pass happy? I think his persistence with running the ball made the Huskers a power and their style wore teams down. Watson and Pellini do not seem patient enough to pound these defenses inside and OT to open up big plays on the perimeter and passing games.

Dominant football vs future NFL stars!

Other than Paul Johnson or Urban Meyer, is there a D! HC that has the courage to stick with his running game w/o going pass happy? I think his persistence with running the ball made the Huskers a power and their style wore teams down. Watson and Pellini do not seem patient enough to pound these defenses inside and OT to open up big plays on the perimeter and passing games.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. It seems like you are assuming that our game now is primarilly run oriented. That is not the case. And in fact, I would say in some games that it was our pass game that opened up the run game.

Although Florida has a strong run game I'm not sure that you can call it a running offense in the same sense as a GA Tech and the triple option. That being said I don't think there are many coaches out there who can stick to there guns with a run-first offense. I can only think of UCONN, but after LSU PASTED Paul Johnson's team in the CHic-fil-et Bowl it will be intersting to see if he changes things up a bit. Triple option team can't really play from behind.

We didn't have the personnel this year to have a run oriented offense, or an offense that could pound the interior of a defense. We were very rarely successful with any sort of power running formations this year, and most of our rush yardage came out of shotgun. We used shotgun to run the ball and base formations to pass it. It all depends on recruiting with Bo. The offense we run now is admittedly something he doesn't want to continue to have. I'm sure you will be satisfied with our offense in coming years once the defense gets completely fixed.

Other than Paul Johnson or Urban Meyer, is there a D! HC that has the courage to stick with his running game w/o going pass happy? I think his persistence with running the ball made the Huskers a power and their style wore teams down. Watson and Pellini do not seem patient enough to pound these defenses inside and OT to open up big plays on the perimeter and passing games.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges. It seems like you are assuming that our game now is primarilly run oriented. That is not the case. And in fact, I would say in some games that it was our pass game that opened up the run game.

:yeah

We didn't have the personnel this year to have a run oriented offense, or an offense that could pound the interior of a defense. We were very rarely successful with any sort of power running formations this year, and most of our rush yardage came out of shotgun. We used shotgun to run the ball and base formations to pass it. It all depends on recruiting with Bo. The offense we run now is admittedly something he doesn't want to continue to have. I'm sure you will be satisfied with our offense in coming years once the defense gets completely fixed.

What about Suuuuuuuhhhhh opening up holes for us in the power I??? (Just kidding - that was only in short-yardage situations, and you've got to look out for the big guy going out for a pass now!!)

Looks like we've wandered way off the patience of Tom Osborne (and it wasn't really patience) but the nice thing about the West Coast Offense is that it's a big playbook of high percentage options. So you take what a defense will give you. And that can change from game to game.

In the BCS game OU's FB, Clapp, #34 was knocked on his behind on some shorrt yardage running plays, while I see Macovicka and Legette killing folks on blocks and they were both walkons!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we've wandered way off the patience of Tom Osborne (and it wasn't really patience) but the nice thing about the West Coast Offense is that it's a big playbook of high percentage options. So you take what a defense will give you. And that can change from game to game.

Sometimes that playbook can be a bit too much and I think it deters younger players from getting playing time because the playbook is so darn big. I wouldn't be surprised if on the day Callahan got fired, he grabbed a U-HAUL to take his playbook back home.

In the BCS game OU's FB, Clapp, #34 was knocked on his behind on some shorrt yardage running plays, while I see Macovicka and Legette killing folks on blocks and they were both walkons!

Well if it's a matter of what you choose to see in your mind, I like to remember Nebraska kicking ass and Oklahoma failing, too. Just not sure what it has to do with the subject.

Sometimes that playbook can be a bit too much and I think it deters younger players from getting playing time because the playbook is so darn big. I wouldn't be surprised if on the day Callahan got fired, he grabbed a U-HAUL to take his playbook back home.

WCO playbook can be big because it uses every available option to an offense. But a coach can always edit it down as necessary. It doesn't have to be complicated. In some ways it's more like the sandlot football a lot of kids grew up with. I don't see it detering younger players, though I do think it requires an especially savvy quarterback confident enough to call some of his own shots.