Finally a Big Man

Diaz officially a Husker

The most-asked question of the past five months regarding Nebraska men’s basketball has finally been answered.

Brian Jorge Diaz has enrolled in classes at Nebraska and is officially a Husker.

“I know your next question,” Nebraska coach Doc Sadler said Saturday night, “and I don’t know. I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

Sadler’s predicament, of course, is whether to play Diaz — officially measured after Saturday’s game at 6 feet, 11 inches and 235 pounds — with only 13 regular-season games remaining.

Diaz would give a boost, of sorts, to the nation’s smallest team. Nebraska’s tallest player, 6-8 Chris Balham, averages only 10 minutes a game.

Sadler said he’s not visited at length with Diaz about whether he’ll play immediately. Diaz is a true freshman with four years of eligibility.

“We’re going to be here a long time,” Sadler said. “Kids can only be here four years, maybe five. Is it fair to him? I still want to win every game we play, but not at the expense at the college career of a kid, either.

“If he wants to play and he can help us and make a difference, then we’ll look at it. But is he willing to give half a year away? I don’t know.”

Sadler said it will be at least a few days before a decision is made. Diaz, who arrived at the Devaney Sports Center during Saturday’s game against Kansas State, can begin practicing Monday. Nebraska is taking today off.

“We’ll get him out here,” Sadler said. “It’s not like what we do is real complicated. Maybe he can pick up on it pretty quick.”

Nebraska plays at No. 5 Oklahoma on Wednesday. The Sooners boast the Big 12’s top player in 6-foot-10 center Blake Griffin.

Diaz, who’s from Puerto Rico, committed to Nebraska in August and was cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse. He didn’t meet Nebraska’s admissions standards, however, because he hadn’t passed an English proficiency test — a Nebraska requirement because Diaz didn’t attend an English-speaking high school.

A member of Team Puerto Rico, Diaz played in tournaments last summer in Las Vegas, where Sadler was in attendance. In four games, Diaz scored 19, 15, 18 and 10 points, and had six blocked shots in one of those games.

The addition of Diaz, combined with Friday’s announcement that recruit Vander Joaquim will attend junior college next season, means Nebraska is currently at the 13-player scholarship limit for the 2009-10 season. Sadler signed three other players beside Joaquim in November — 6-9 forward Brandon Ubel, 6-2 guard Rayes Gallegos and 6-8 forward Christian Standhardinger. Ubel attended Saturday night’s game.

I say you reshirt him because we are not going anywhere this year.

I think we should redshirt him too, but i disagree about not going anywhere this year. We the defense this team is playing we have a chance at the Big Dance this year. But, we have some big match up problems with Ou, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor. I think we will pull the upset against kansas at home this year.

I say you reshirt him because we are not going anywhere this year.

I think we should redshirt him too, but i disagree about not going anywhere this year. We the defense this team is playing we have a chance at the Big Dance this year. But, we have some big match up problems with Ou, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor. I think we will pull the upset against kansas at home this year.

Right now it doesn't look like we will make the dance. If and a big IF we somehow are still in it by time Diaz can play, I saw we play him. Diaz size can only help us down the stretch. I don't think the seniors would mind him playing. He would also be getting good experience for next season when we should be better. Just something to think about.

I would flat out ask Diaz if is comfortable of giving up a full season for the rest of this year. If he says yes and has a handle of Doc's scheme, then get him into the lineup as quick as possible. He can only help the team, and let the other players play more of their natural positions. It would not be fair to the other players if he was ready and they did not play him. These kids deserve a chance to win, and we should do everything in our power to acomplish that.

I think NU will make the NIT, with that said, I think Diaz should redshirt, then (if everything goes to plan) NU could use two 6-11 guys (Niemann and Diaz), a 6-9 guy (Ubel), with Balham and Standhardinger at 6-8 and Edwards at 6-7. I know they probably all won't work out- as of right now Balham and Edwards haven't, but if they do along with Bear, Cookie, Sek, Anderson, McCray/Richardson (they showed some promise); this team could be good, but NU will miss Velander, Ade, and Harley, but will add size which is much needed

Coming into D1 is hard enough but to start out against Big 12 competition would be brutal. Set him and let this team see how many wins they can scrap away from bigger teams. But if he can make an impact right away and is looking to leave for the NBA in a couple years then cut him loose and lets see what he can do.

Redshirting in basketball is a different monster than redshirting in football.

In football, even after redshirting, you know you will at the LEAST get 2 more years out of them

The NBA says a player needs to be 1 year removed from high school So, even though unlikely, say we get a big name recruit next year and redshirt him, he can enter the draft without even playing a game for the big red, because his 1 year out of high school was sitting on a bench.

Yea like i said, not very likely that would ever happen. If someone is that good, they wouldnt be redshirting, but you have to look at all the possibilites.

When did NBA come up?

I know he wanted to play pros in Europe but it didn't happen. And now with no one ( or I am guessing) ever seeing him actually play, you say he might go pro early? Either I missed something or you guys are drinking too much Kool-aid :koolaid2:

After saying that I still think that he should redshirt, but am less convinced now due to who NU's seniors are. Arguably our best offensive weapon (Henry), best shooter (Velander), and best defender (Ade).

Now I think if Niemann and Diaz are actually good, Anderson will return to more of an offensive stud like his freshman year with Maric drawing the inside presence, and as for defense you know Sadler will always have a good defensive team, but Ade I think is by far the best overall defender. So I dont know if the 2 big guys can make up for those losses with compliance with the returning guards.

Also now with Balham' everlasting knee problem bad again NU might need Diaz's size more, unless Edwards somehow steps it up

IMO if Diaz is good enough and wants to he should be out there. One it is not fair to him or the rest of the team if he doesn't play this season. I don't think there would be one player on NE team that would say that he should sit out. They are all guards out there now and need the big man to be able to play their game. IMO Miller is the best defender up front with Ade in the inside and wing positions, but I do feel as though Anderson would be much more effective as well with the big man in there. It really is the thing that we have been missing obviously, but the guards we have are pretty talented and have been doing pretty good considering.

IMO if Diaz is good enough and wants to he should be out there. One it is not fair to him or the rest of the team if he doesn't play this season. I don't think there would be one player on NE team that would say that he should sit out. They are all guards out there now and need the big man to be able to play their game. IMO Miller is the best defender up front with Ade in the inside and wing positions, but I do feel as though Anderson would be much more effective as well with the big man in there. It really is the thing that we have been missing obviously, but the guards we have are pretty talented and have been doing pretty good considering.

I agree. We owe it to these players to take some pressure off them, even if he just plays a few minutes a game. There are just to many match up problems for these guys in the Big 12, and as hard as these guys play, they deserve some help if its available.

I agree. We owe it to these players to take some pressure off them, even if he just plays a few minutes a game. There are just to many match up problems for these guys in the Big 12, and as hard as these guys play, they deserve some help if its available.

Well put. That's what I guess I was trying to point out. They deserve it!!