All Time Offensive Guard

All Time Offensive Guard  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The group of guards was narrowed down to Consensus All Americans and Award Winners because if you just listed all the good ones the list would go on forever. I figured that if a guy made every All American team for a certain year that trumps anything else. Same rules if you don’t see you guy check other and enter him in. This is the first of 2 for the guard spot.

Voted for Will Shields

Same.

I wonder how many of these polls come down to name recognition? Obviously, the better players get their names thrown around more often, but for only being 19 years of age I honestly don't recognize half of those names. I'm disadvantaged =/

I voted other, reason being I think Bob Brown should be listed. He is one of only 2 Huskers to have his # permanently retired (other being Tom Novak).

He was also a unanimous All-American in 1963 (according to his bio)

He was named college football’s Lineman of the Year in 1963 by the Washington, D.C. Touchdown Club (maybe not a major award, but he was picked by them)

Although I don't think what a player did as a pro should be the big reason he is selected for the All Time Husker team, here are some of his pro accomplishments.

In his 10 professional seasons, Brown earned six trips to the Pro Bowl and was named first-team All-NFL seven times.

He was named to the NFL's All-Decade team during the 1960s, and was named the NFL/NFC Offensive Lineman of the Year three times.

Brown was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the No. 2 overall pick in the first round of the 1964 NFL Draft

Once broke a goalpost with his forearm. I know he probably won't be picked by many as most fans are to young to remember him. But he was picked on more NU All Century Teams than all the others except maybe Shields, and I think he should be remembered.

Brown Bio

post-4426-1234224759.jpg