Big 12 opener on ESPN for 2009

ESPN announced on Monday that next fall’s Big 12 North Division showdown between Nebraska and Missouri will take place on Thursday, Oct. 8 in Columbia. The Big 12 opener for both schools will be televised nationally by ESPN with kickoff set for 8 p.m. Central Time.

The contest had been scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 3, however through a mutual agreement between ESPN, the Big 12 Conference, the University of Missouri and the University of Nebraska the game was moved to the network’s Thursday night package.

Really, a Thursday night game? I don't mind watching other teams play on week days, but I hate seeing my team play during a week day. Thursday night games don't get as good as ratings as weekend games. There's just something about a Saturday that makes the football season what it is. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic and should stfu lol.

damn, I hate thursday games. Seems low-class to me.

I was going to say something about that too. When you think of Thursday night games, you think of Ball State, USF, Rutgers, Mountain West teams, or other small DI schools. You don't envision a traditional powerhouse Nebraska playing against Missouri. For heavens sake it's a rivalry.

damn, I hate thursday games. Seems low-class to me.

I was going to say something about that too. When you think of Thursday night games, you think of Ball State, USF, Rutgers, Mountain West teams, or other small DI schools. You don't envision a traditional powerhouse Nebraska playing against Missouri. For heavens sake it's a rivalry.

:sarcasm

Yeah only crappy teams play on Thursday night:

The appearance on ESPN’s Thursday night package will mark the first for Nebraska since a 2003 victory at Southern Miss. It will be Nebraska’s fifth overall appearance in ESPN Thursday night contests, with the Huskers also picking up wins at Oklahoma State in 1993 and 1995, and at Texas Tech in 1994.

Thursday night games don't get as good as ratings as weekend games.

Debatable. The Georgia/ASU Saturday night game game only drew 3.72 million for a 1.3 rating. Oregon State’s victory over USC on a Thursday night drew 6.3 Million TV viewers.

OTOH:

The Saturday Night Football telecast of Texas Tech’s 39-33 victory over then-#1 Texas averaged 8,590,000 households based on a 7.5 rating, making it the network’s fifth-most viewed regular-season college football game (and the seventh-highest rated) ever. It was the most-viewed and highest-rated game of the year on ABC.

It's possible that with a game on every night of the week, the Thursday night share of viewers get pretty diluted.

Anyway, I'm happy I won't be watching the game on the crappy FSN affiliate. Sucks if you have tickets though.