TD taken away for unsportsmanlike conduct?......

shagg

I don't think you guys are looking at this accurately.

They're not going to take away a touchdown for excessive celebration AFTER a touchdown, because that's still a dead ball penalty. But say, a receiver breaks free downfield and on his way into the end zone he starts high stepping, flips into the end zone, taunts the other player with the football, etc. etc. etc., those are still live penalties and will take away the points, but most likely replay the down (maybe loss of down). It's the same as a holding call, and I think it would be a great rule if implemented that way. Players are constantly costing their team a 'meaningless' 15 yards on kickoffs in order to showboat, so you need to make the consequences big enough to where they stop. There's no room for it if you ask me.

Agreed. We bemoan the Terrell Owens' of the world, but for those kinds of players, it all started in college. This is a rule that can actually be a good thing if implemented.

I think most people see this type of rule and have a knee-jerk reaction without thinking about the "why's" of implementing it. If there is taunting and unsportsmanlike behavior against one team and the officials don't (or can't) take care of it, that team is going to want to take care of it, and the end result could end up being a lot worse than 15 yards or points off the board. If they didn't throw flags for things like this then the brawls that you see like the SC/Clemson fight a couple of years ago would be a lot more common. That resulted in teams missing bowl games.

i think a more evenhanded enforcement of the current rule is all we need. taking away points? you guys cannot be serious in thinking this is a good thing. thats a first step down a long road i dont want to be on. i already dont watch the nfl anymore because of its seemingly police state over every aspect of the game. leave college football alone.

I still think it is over-reaction. :wtf

:sarcasm What every happened to a HC grabbing a kid by the facemask, body slamming him on the turf, and telling him he is a "f'ing idiot" for doing something stupid? Society is too mamby pamby now...what ever happened to the Lou Holtzs & Bobby Knights of the world? The world has just become too...too...too sissified!! :nutz Lets just put the kid in the corner of the stadium for a timeout...maybe have a penalty box where they can go to think about what they did wrong, and before they can get back in the game, lets make them apologize to the opposing team and all the fans over the PA and to the television audience. That will show him!! :nutz

Bad plan. Allowing the blind zebras to make total judgment calls that are not subject to review to take away TDs? Are you kidding me? "Taunting' is by nature subjective. Football is an emotional game, and college ball is played by kids. I can think of several bogus 'taunting' penalties I saw this year where a player being excited for making a huge play in an important game. You think there are complaints about ref bias now? See what happens with a rivalry game, or a National Championship game gets decided on a negated TD for a kid making a huge play.

I don't think you guys are looking at this accurately.

They're not going to take away a touchdown for excessive celebration AFTER a touchdown, because that's still a dead ball penalty. But say, a receiver breaks free downfield and on his way into the end zone he starts high stepping, flips into the end zone, taunts the other player with the football, etc. etc. etc., those are still live penalties and will take away the points, but most likely replay the down (maybe loss of down). It's the same as a holding call, and I think it would be a great rule if implemented that way. Players are constantly costing their team a 'meaningless' 15 yards on kickoffs in order to showboat, so you need to make the consequences big enough to where they stop. There's no room for it if you ask me.

Agreed. We bemoan the Terrell Owens' of the world, but for those kinds of players, it all started in college. This is a rule that can actually be a good thing if implemented.

I like the rule I think players don't realize enough that when they make a great play or TD that they actually just did their job and rather than giving the ref the ball and a simple high 5 five to a teammate they have to do a stupid premeditated celebration that they were thinking about for weeks when the should have probably been focusing on the playbook. "Act like you have been there before" I hate when a player makes a simple first down and they just have to throw that arm forward on pro and college level. You did your damn job now get back to the huddle!

From what I have heard, the rule is going to be put in place to prevent taunting pre-score. For example, if a running back breaks a huge run and nobody is even close to him, and then slows down so they can catch up before he crosses the goal line, then he will be penalized. I think it's completely fair. Teams should win with class and not do it in an undesirable fashion. I think teammates should be allowed to celebrate after big scores in games and I think it's b.s. when people get penalized for jumping around with their teammates after a big score.

But pre-score, there should be no taunting. Players need to grow up and be men.

too judgemental...a guy high steps into the end zone and no one is around him...but after the game he says he was focused on the end zone, didnt know if anyone was behind him or not but thought he felt someone back there, so he was being cautious or whatever. you, me, the ref and everyone else may know hes full of it, but he could be telling the truth. it just seems waaaay too controversial.

i think a more evenhanded enforcement of the current rule is all we need. taking away points? you guys cannot be serious in thinking this is a good thing. thats a first step down a long road i dont want to be on. i already dont watch the nfl anymore because of its seemingly police state over every aspect of the game. leave college football alone.

It's no different than a holding call on a touchdown play. I don't see you complaining that they take those points away..

I love the idea and wish it was implemented in the NFL. The entertainment is the game not the antics of clowns over celebrating after they do something they are supposed to do. Since the achievement is the result of teamwork then the individual crap needs to be eliminated.

In addition to taking the TD back, I'd like to see a loss of down. Id they score on 4th down, the ball goes over to the other team.

For a defensive celebration I'd like to see the offensive team get 15 yards and an automatic first down. If the D scores and celebrates the ball goes back to the TD is removed, the other team gets 15 yards plus an automatic first down.

lets think about this for a second. no different? "taunting" has no direct effect on the outcome of the play. holding a defender from making a tackle on a ball carrier? yes, that very well would affect the outcome of the play.

they are completely unrelated, therefore i have no problem with a holding call.