TD taken away for unsportsmanlike conduct?......

shagg

This is stupid. In football you get to do a lot of things that would get you in trouble in the real world. Blindsiding a guy, knocking a guy to the ground multiple times, ganging up on one guy...all are no-nos in the real world, but we give the players a pass because they are playing football. Taunting other people is looked down upon in the real world too. Why can't we let these college KIDS have a few hours, over a few weeks, over a few years, have fun with it?

Players are allowed to talk "smack" to each other on the line, saying despicable things about a player's friends, family, girlfriend, etc. How is high stepping to the end zone worse than that? Just because everyone can see it?

For the record, Brandon Spike's punt into the stands after his INT return for a touchdown vs. LSU was the single greatest celebration of all time...and I hate Florida.

were you using my quote as an example or still saying that i dont get it?

because I totally understand that the proposed penalty is about taunting...which is why I completely, wholeheartedly disagree with a penalty that would take points off the board for an offense that has no tangible relation to the play that scored points. I don't like taunting either. I don't believe there is a place for it. However, I cannot believe someone wants to make a rule effecting the outcome of a game for a stupid act that, left alone, would have NO effect if YOUR team (read: Huskers) itself is following the rules and playing with dignity. Would you really want to win a game on a call like this? Even if a despicable fluffalo did the most horrendous act of sacrilege ever witnessed on Tom Osborne field running towards a wide open end zone after we had a blown coverage? I wouldnt. It wouldnt sit right. I'd blame our secondary and have another beer. or 10.

I know I must sound like a broken record here, but man, there hasnt been a proposed rule in a long time that I couldnt even at least agree that it deserved a trial run. This one just really digs in my craw. It reeks of communism, syphilis, and that awful macaroni salad my great aunt used to make.

Yeah!

What he said..

Except that they hardly ever deserve a trial run.

I hate taunting, too. But if frivolous rules like this continue to be tried out just for the sake of change, then I think we need to investigate and maybe re-evaluate how much power these clowns have to mess with my favourite form of entertainment other than dancing girls.

There's so many ways for this to go wrong.

Most of you are probably too young to remember seeing Roger Craig run through the line with his knees above his waist to elude tackles.(Try to imagine some ref whistling Roger for high stepping).

Or maybe you can remember that run by Reggie Bush of USC where he dove into the end-zone..(May not have been necessary, but I bet even money he wouldn't have scored without the flying)...

Now that you mention it..I don't really like overtimes.

I'd hate to have never gotten a chance for Tom to show the rest of the college Football world what we were made of back in '83 by going for two..In some ways..that was more lasting/meaningful than if we had actually won a MNC that year.

Plus it always gave me more things to hate Penn State or Notre Dame for..They were notorious for going for ties..Ohio State, too.

I'm not a big Hockey fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing a fight break out in a Football game once in awhile just to legitimize a rivalry..

It almost makes me sad now days, how much we get along with Oklahoma fans...Bring back the Sooner Magic and Communist Russia!!! :hellloooo:box

I hate taunting, too. But if frivolous rules like this continue to be tried out just for the sake of change, then I think we need to investigate and maybe re-evaluate how much power these clowns have to mess with my favourite form of entertainment other than dancing girls.

Exactly. I'm still sore over some of the rule changes, especially allowing QB's to throw it away outside of the tackle. IF you are in third and long especially, why wouldn't you run a shotgun with your line in tight splits? All your QB has to do is take two steps to be outside the tackle. The other thing that annoys me, is I liked getting rid of the halo rule, but now its just like the referees decided that there is no such thing as kick catch interference. Also, I'm not sold on the helmet to helmet, horse collar, or getting rid of 5 yard facemask.

lets think about this for a second. no different? "taunting" has no direct effect on the outcome of the play. holding a defender from making a tackle on a ball carrier? yes, that very well would affect the outcome of the play.

they are completely unrelated, therefore i have no problem with a holding call.

this is college kids are SUPPOSED TO BE EXCITED when they score a Touchdown.

Once again, you don't get it. This rule isn't against celebrating, it's against TAUNTING. There's a huge difference.

But what is 'taunting?' One ref might decide that a player's celebration is taunting, weather or not the player intended it that way. The point is, you are giving refs a very subjective way of removing points from the board.

lets think about this for a second. no different? "taunting" has no direct effect on the outcome of the play. holding a defender from making a tackle on a ball carrier? yes, that very well would affect the outcome of the play.

Once again, you don't get it. This rule isn't against celebrating, it's against TAUNTING. There's a huge difference.

But what is 'taunting?' One ref might decide that a player's celebration is taunting, weather or not the player intended it that way. The point is, you are giving refs a very subjective way of removing points from the board.

Maybe this rule is being put in place to protect the wee little feelings of the players and fans :dunno

Honestly though, a lot of refs view penalties in different ways, even the ones we have in place, like holding. One ref might see something and be ok with it, while the other might call holding.

Some of you are making it seem like it's ok if an opposing player breaks a huge one on us, stops at our goal line, turns around, grabs his crotch with one hand, pumps his fists, and back-flips into the end-zone. I know the majority of posters on here would not just simply get upset at the secondary for busting a play and would feel insulted by what the opposing player did. It would be especially insulting if he did it in our stadium. Players in the NFL get fined for taunting (and excessive celebration), and because college players don't receive fines like NFL players do, then I don't see the big problem with penalizing this.

Kind of funny though, I don't remember seeing Nebraska taunt anybody or be taunted this entire year. Maybe I just missed it or maybe other conferences have a taunting problem?

Maybe this rule is being put in place to protect the wee little feelings of the players and fans :dunno

Honestly though, a lot of refs view penalties in different ways, even the ones we have in place, like holding. One ref might see something and be ok with it, while the other might call holding.

Some of you are making it seem like it's ok if an opposing player breaks a huge one on us, stops at our goal line, turns around, grabs his crotch with one hand, pumps his fists, and back-flips into the end-zone. I know the majority of posters on here would not just simply get upset at the secondary for busting a play and would feel insulted by what the opposing player did. It would be especially insulting if he did it in our stadium. Players in the NFL get fined for taunting (and excessive celebration), and because college players don't receive fines like NFL players do, then I don't see the big problem with penalizing this.

Kind of funny though, I don't remember seeing Nebraska taunt anybody or be taunted this entire year. Maybe I just missed it or maybe other conferences have a taunting problem?

I dunno, if you really wanted to, you could argue Suh's high-stepping and sorta spike were taunting. Being a Husker fan, I think he was just insanely excited and pumped up, but I wouldn't be surprised if CU fans bitched about it.

I dunno, if you really wanted to, you could argue Suh's high-stepping and sorta spike were taunting. Being a Husker fan, I think he was just insanely excited and pumped up, but I wouldn't be surprised if CU fans bitched about it.

True, but that all happened after he had made his way into the end-zone, so I'm trying to remember if NU ever taunted somebody pre score because I don't remember seeing that happen once this entire year.

True, but that all happened after he had made his way into the end-zone, so I'm trying to remember if NU ever taunted somebody pre score because I don't remember seeing that happen once this entire year.