DE Matt Hoch

So you are admitting that Hoch isnt that good???

I don't know where you got that out of what I said. I don't know how good he is as I haven't seen any of his videos, and even that is not an end all be all of how good a recruit it. He was offered by 5 schools, Iowa having a pretty stout defense year after year. From all indications he will be playing a different position at MU than what he was expected to at Iowa. How will that work out for him and the MU program? I have no idea.

and some players don't need to.

huh? :dunno

As for this, there have been a number of players who have excelled at their positions despite the coaches they have behind them. I don't expect Matt to end up being an All-American or anything like that though.

I think playing with his brother was a bigger draw than Iowa was giving credit to. However Matt looks like a nice player, but I am wondering if Iowa isn't trying to really cash in on their success this year with bigger prospects? Anyone know what Iowa has going on at DE this year in recruiting? Good news for MU either way though since Ealy may never make it onto campus next year.

Iowa has about the same thing going as they do every year. Go 7-5 maybe 10-2 if it is the perfect storm like this year where every conference team seemed to be down; then sign a bunch of the same calibur players as you did when you were 6-6.

I live in Iowa, I saw both Matt and Dan play. Matt played LB for the Harlan Cyclones and was a force. You can tell he was a D1 athlete but you knew why our staff didnt show too much interest in his services at the DE position.

Dan I would have loved to have. He has always had a nasty bad ass attitude on the football field and been a very well spoken kid off the field. I really was excited when he committed to NU and was very disappointed when Gabbert swung him the other way. That is another reason to hate MU and the Gabberts.

The Gabbert's didn't "sway" Dan away from NU. My bother lives in Harlan...on booster club...coached Dan.... for "some " reason, the Hoch family is NOT A FAN of Bo Pelini. As soon as NU named Bo the HC, Dan was gone and Matt never considered NU.

I will go a step farther...and I hate to disagree, but Dan isn't the "mean" one. By far and away, Matt is a mean SOB. Anyone from Harlan will say that they are a different breed. Matt will be a stud. It will be at LB though. He play RB (FB) for Harlan and took the team on his shoulders, as they once again walked to another State title (first in a few years).

I would have loved both of these kids.

The Gabbert's didn't "sway" Dan away from NU. My bother lives in Harlan...on booster club...coached Dan.... for "some " reason, the Hoch family is NOT A FAN of Bo Pelini. As soon as NU named Bo the HC, Dan was gone and Matt never considered NU.

I will go a step farther...and I hate to disagree, but Dan isn't the "mean" one. By far and away, Matt is a mean SOB. Anyone from Harlan will say that they are a different breed. Matt will be a stud. It will be at LB though. He play RB (FB) for Harlan and took the team on his shoulders, as they once again walked to another State title (first in a few years).

I would have loved both of these kids.

I have friends in Harlan too. A bit older than Matt though so maybe they are wrong.

I dont see Matt being athletic enough to play LB in the Big 12 against the spreads we see. I thought Iowa was a perfect fit for him. But maybe he will surprize people.

My buddy said that Blaine Gabbert was in contact quite a bit with Dan though and my buddy is in the same class and played on the same team. Blaine might not have been the final nail in the coffin but I bet him chirping in his ear didnt hurt MU's chances.

Good info and discussion though.

:cheers

It is my understanding that Matt will start out as a TE for MU. He stated that he really liked playing offense after playing a larger role this year in HS. And that move away from D was one of the reasons he was leaving Iowa

So that means that MU only has a DT and a DE in this class? If Ealy doesn't make the grade then MU only has a DT coming in.

It is my understanding that Matt will start out as a TE for MU. He stated that he really liked playing offense after playing a larger role this year in HS. And that move away from D was one of the reasons he was leaving Iowa

So that means that MU only has a DT and a DE in this class? If Ealy doesn't make the grade then MU only has a DT coming in.

Ty Phillips will be coming in from last years class. But probably not till summer or fall. If you look at the two deep and then take into account the RS's from last year MU should have 12 returning DE's and DT not including this years class. Also I believe there are 12 or 13 LBs on the roster. Also a few who eat or grow their way onto the D-line. :lol:

Matt is big enough to play TE, but he played FB at Harlan. Not to say that he wont be a good TE, but just a position that he didn't play much. Sure he loved offense, since he "carried" the load. How will he like it when he is asked to block more than he is used too. I know FBs "block", but Matt carried the ball a lot from the FB position.

E-z is correct !!! I agree that Matt would be better suited at LB in the Big 10 than in the Big 12. I still think that this kid will flat out hit someone and could gain weight and play inside in the Big 12. He may be a special teams stud too (if fast enough).

Matt is big enough to play TE, but he played FB at Harlan. Not to say that he wont be a good TE, but just a position that he didn't play much. Sure he loved offense, since he "carried" the load. How will he like it when he is asked to block more than he is used too. I know FBs "block", but Matt carried the ball a lot from the FB position.

E-z is correct !!! I agree that Matt would be better suited at LB in the Big 10 than in the Big 12. I still think that this kid will flat out hit someone and could gain weight and play inside in the Big 12. He may be a special teams stud too (if fast enough).

He was a wrestler as well in high school. Didnt play basketball. I dont think I am alone in saying that I like a TE that was a basketball player in HS. IMO his height and wrestling background just scream Big Ten LB. i.e. AJ Hawk mold. (not saying he will be that good)

Agreed.......... I just think he would be better off at LB in the Big 10..... It will be interesting to see if the TE rumor/attempt works... maybe it will, wont know for awhile. But, I don't think he will be nearly as excited at playing TE compared to LB. Dan probably had a lot to do with Matt ending up at MU, rather than the switch to TE.

Still would like to have him at NU