DE Matt Hoch

I had a lot of insight on Dan Hoch, and a little on Matt also. My brother lives in Harlan, and as I stated during the Dan Hoch recruitment, coached these guys in youth baseball. My bro actually told me two years ago that Matt is the true stud in the family because he was one mean SOB....although, I think Dan broke into the top 2 on the depth chart this year as a true freshman.... After my football season was over, I actually got to watch Matt play a few games. He was hurt and had a bad knee, but was still a monster on the field......not so much his size per say, but just his presence. He didn't physically "look" like an automatic D-I player by appearance, but his play spoke volumes....

Hate to say it, but my bro told me then that NU will never have a shot. He said Iowa or MU probably are the two. My bro says that the family is not a Pelini fan for some reason. He didn't know why, just that his mom had told him that they didn't like Coach Pelini and that is why Dan went to MU. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would say that it is a safe bet to say that Matt won't end up at NU.

I had a lot of insight on Dan Hoch, and a little on Matt also. My brother lives in Harlan, and as I stated during the Dan Hoch recruitment, coached these guys in youth baseball. My bro actually told me two years ago that Matt is the true stud in the family because he was one mean SOB....although, I think Dan broke into the top 2 on the depth chart this year as a true freshman.... After my football season was over, I actually got to watch Matt play a few games. He was hurt and had a bad knee, but was still a monster on the field......not so much his size per say, but just his presence. He didn't physically "look" like an automatic D-I player by appearance, but his play spoke volumes....

Hate to say it, but my bro told me then that NU will never have a shot. He said Iowa or MU probably are the two. My bro says that the family is not a Pelini fan for some reason. He didn't know why, just that his mom had told him that they didn't like Coach Pelini and that is why Dan went to MU. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would say that it is a safe bet to say that Matt won't end up at NU.

Thanks for the commentary.

1. I'm not worried if Nebraska doesn't have a shot with the younger Hoch; because from what I've heard, from those who follow recruiting a heckuva lot closer than I do, he's an okay player at best.

2. His mentioning that he'll be behind two other guys, voicing concerns about playing time, is in my opinion, a serious red flag, or at least it should be.

3. And while I won't ascribe any motivations to the Hoch's, because I don't know them at all, it seems to me that they're looking for a coach who will promise playing time, a starter role and/or both. And Bo doesn't play that game. He tells all the recruits the same thing: You come to Nebraska and earn a starting role as a true or redshirt freshman fine, but you won't just be handed playing time on a silver platter.

4. Finally, I think that Nebraska can get a much better player, than the younger Hoch, from Texas.

Hate to say it, but my bro told me then that NU will never have a shot. He said Iowa or MU probably are the two. My bro says that the family is not a Pelini fan for some reason.[/color][/b] He didn't know why, just that his mom had told him that they didn't like Coach Pelini and that is why Dan went to MU. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would say that it is a safe bet to say that Matt won't end up at NU.

1. I'm not worried if Nebraska doesn't have a shot with the younger Hoch; because from what I've heard, from those who follow recruiting a heckuva lot closer than I do, he's an okay player at best.

2. His mentioning that he'll be behind two other guys, voicing concerns about playing time, is in my opinion, a serious red flag, or at least it should be.

3. And while I won't ascribe any motivations to the Hoch's, because I don't know them at all, it seems to me that they're looking for a coach who will promise playing time, a starter role and/or both. And Bo doesn't play that game. He tells all the recruits the same thing: You come to Nebraska and earn a starting role as a true or redshirt freshman fine, but you won't just be handed playing time on a silver platter.

4. Finally, I think that Nebraska can get a much better player, than the younger Hoch, from Texas.

I would just say this. GP has never promised a starting spot to anyone. Best players play. PERIOD. There have been more than a few players who have sat because others were better. Chase Patton was one of the top QB prospects in the country. he never took a meaningful snap because he was passed by a QB prospect that barely turned any heads in Daniel. AND Patton was in his second season when chase was a true Freshman.

Yeah its nice to say you want someone who doesnt care about competition, but realistically that is a big factor. Yes you have to earn it. But if there are 4 high ranked prospects who are all in their first or second year already at your position, that makes a big difference. We can all pretend thats not the case, but trust me, these kids know where others sign. And if you think that depth charts have nothing to do with NU commits decisions to sign, then you are mistaken.

Hate to say it, but my bro told me then that NU will never have a shot. He said Iowa or MU probably are the two. My bro says that the family is not a Pelini fan for some reason.[/color][/b] He didn't know why, just that his mom had told him that they didn't like Coach Pelini and that is why Dan went to MU. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would say that it is a safe bet to say that Matt won't end up at NU.

I would just say this. GP has never promised a starting spot to anyone. Best players play. PERIOD. There have been more than a few players who have sat because others were better. Chase Patton was one of the top QB prospects in the country. he never took a meaningful snap because he was passed by a QB prospect that barely turned any heads in Daniel. AND Patton was in his second season when chase was a true Freshman.

Yeah its nice to say you want someone who doesnt care about competition, but realistically that is a big factor. Yes you have to earn it. But if there are 4 high ranked prospects who are all in their first or second year already at your position, that makes a big difference. We can all pretend thats not the case, but trust me, these kids know where others sign. And if you think that depth charts have nothing to do with NU commits decisions to sign, then you are mistaken.

I think it goes both ways Fro, in some cases I agree with Jen. It comes down more to the mental make up of the young man. But in this case I would say that Matt probably isn't one to worry about in this aspect as you said. Growing up in the same HS conference as Harlan, let me tell you they are one of the truly elite programs in IA, I know that their mentality so chances are good Matt isn't one those truly afraid to compete. Especially after hearing what HANC said, it fits right in with what I know of Harlan football. I also don't buy the hype that Matt isn't a good player. People saying that are the same ones that used the 4 star ranking to defend Terry vs. the Mizzou critics. Well it goes both ways, Matt is also a 4 Star player so he must be doing something right.

--Edit--

I just realized that Matt is a 3 Star player, not a 4 star. I thought he was at one time? Regardless he is still fairly well regarded and is a good prospect.

I understand there are those that want it given to them. I dont doubt that Matt wants to compete.

I guess I was just stating that most players to take the depth chart into consideration if they are looking to play early. Three is nothing wrong with that IMO. Considering once you sign that LOI, you are stuck. I would advise my son, when and if that day comes, to make the best decision based on all the factors important to him. And if that means he likes 2 schools alot, and one is stacked, the other no so much, and playing time early is important to him. Then that may swing his decision.

I hold nothing against kids who do it. Little Gabbert did it. He had stated that early PT was important. Both him and his dad have been quoted that Mu has a lot of depth at QB and they would probably not be the choice because of that. Its nothing against Tyler. He found a school/coach he really likes, that offers a better chance to see the field early. Doesnt mean he isnt a competitor or that he doesnt have a fire. What it means is when it came to ALL the things that were important to him, NU was the best fit. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was told tonight by a buddy that Hoch texted Brandon Scherff, another Iowa recruit, who lives in my hometown, that he is 100% sure that he's picking Iowa and will make it official soon... maybe next week. Who knows if it's final though. Interesting, given that Dan is at Mizzou and Iowa just scored a DL recruit, Mike Hardy.

Was told tonight by a buddy that Hoch texted Brandon Scherff, another Iowa recruit, who lives in my hometown, that he is 100% sure that he's picking Iowa and will make it official soon... maybe next week. Who knows if it's final though. Interesting, given that Dan is at Mizzou and Iowa just scored a DL recruit, Mike Hardy.

Good call.

Committed to Iowa per Rivals.

• 5 months later...

Good call.

Committed to Iowa per Rivals.

Yes great call... or not.

Mistake IMO, Iowa's D is definitely better-coached.

While I don't disagree there, one has to consider that not every player can play for the best coached defense every year,

So you are admitting that Hoch isnt that good???

and some players don't need to.

huh? :dunno

So you are admitting that Hoch isnt that good???

I don't know where you got that out of what I said. I don't know how good he is as I haven't seen any of his videos, and even that is not an end all be all of how good a recruit it. He was offered by 5 schools, Iowa having a pretty stout defense year after year. From all indications he will be playing a different position at MU than what he was expected to at Iowa. How will that work out for him and the MU program? I have no idea.

and some players don't need to.

huh? :dunno

As for this, there have been a number of players who have excelled at their positions despite the coaches they have behind them. I don't expect Matt to end up being an All-American or anything like that though.