DE Matt Hoch

Player: Matt Hoch

Hometown: Harlan, IA

Position: DE

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 230 lbs.

40 time: 4.8

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Stanford, Wyoming

Favorites: Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, Stanford, Wyoming

COMMITTED TO MISSOURI

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

ESPN: Top 150 Watchlist

ESPN stats: 6'3'' 220 lbs. Rivals stats: 6'5'' 230 lbs.

• 2 weeks later...

From ESPN's Midwest recruiting blog:

Defensive end Matt Hoch (Harlan, Iowa) and offensive lineman Brandon Scherff (Denison, Iowa) are two of the top prospects in the state of Iowa. The two may be selecting their college from the same group of schools.

The 6-foot-4 and 235-pound Hoch played defensive end, offensive tackle and some tight end and linebacker during his junior season. He made 96 tackles including eight sacks, and had 20 plus tackles for loss.

"He's the kind of kid that could play a lot of positions in college," Harlan Coach Curt Bladt said. "He has a good motor. He is very physical. He gets to the ball well."

Hoch has scholarship offers on the table from Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri and Stanford. He is interested in those four schools as well as Nebraska and Notre Dame.

"I'm going to go to some summer camps and see the coaches coach and decide where I fit in," Hoch said. "Then I would like to pick a college in July."

Hoch is a fine all-around athlete who is on the Harlan wrestling and track teams. He is an outstanding student too, sporting a 4.0 GPA.

Older brother Dan Hoch is a freshman offensive tackle at Missouri and earned some playing time in his first season with the Tigers.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

per ESPN: "I'll visit some more schools in the summer," Hoch said. "I'm going to Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri for one-day camps, and probably Oregon and Stanford. I want to see all the campuses before I decide (on a college)."

Hoch said he is not leaning towards any particular school at this point, but he's not going to drag things out.

"After I make those visits in June, then I'll decide sometime in July," Hoch said. "I want to make a commitment before the (football) season starts."

• 3 weeks later...

per Show Me Sports (private ran website covering MU and MO HS sports)

(following MU's 1 day camp)

The star of today's camp was 2010 DE Matt Hoch 6'5" 235 lbs. of Harlan (IA). This was a one day excursion into Tiger land for the highly regarded recruit, the younger brother of MU starting RT Dan Hoch. Matt Hoch was easily the best player I saw today, and one of the best I've seen all week. He's got to be bigger than the listed 235 lbs. He's a very similar athlete to his brother. ..... Matt Hoch told me he would make a decision before August. He said that it's between Missouri and Iowa. He has been to Missouri a lot and likes it here, but also likes Iowa. I think he'll eventually commit to Mizzou, however he did express concern about playing time, citing the presence of two young and very talented DEs already here.

per Show Me Sports (private ran website covering MU and MO HS sports)

(following MU's 1 day camp)

The star of today's camp was 2010 DE Matt Hoch 6'5" 235 lbs. of Harlan (IA). This was a one day excursion into Tiger land for the highly regarded recruit, the younger brother of MU starting RT Dan Hoch. Matt Hoch was easily the best player I saw today, and one of the best I've seen all week. He's got to be bigger than the listed 235 lbs. He's a very similar athlete to his brother. ..... Matt Hoch told me he would make a decision before August. He said that it's between Missouri and Iowa. He has been to Missouri a lot and likes it here, but also likes Iowa. I think he'll eventually commit to Mizzou, however he did express concern about playing time, citing the presence of two young and very talented DEs already here.

The part in bold and red...

That should, in my opinion, be taken as a potential red flag Fro. Any recruit, regardless of the school he's contemplating, who is worried about the competition he'll face for playing time is probably someone who a school could probably pass on.