Why does everyone want Green to start?

carlfense

I agree with your last statement carlfense. Just because others around the country have started as freshmen, doesn't mean we should do the same. And I also think that some fans are underestimating just how complex this SpreadCoast system is. And when you've been in the top 15 in offense, why the hell would you want to dumb things down when you have guys capable of running the system the way it is?

In the case of OSU, they had a mediocre QB in Bockman (sp) to begin with, and a very simple offense that they ran with Pryor. Besides, part of me believes that Pryor was promised early playing time to get him to sign. Because as good as he looked at times, there where some games where he was terrible doing anything other than scrambling. Is that really what we want for our Huskers?

But from what I have heard from "so called experts" is that Lee doesnt get all of the offense either, granted Lee has had more time, but what if neither one of them gets it enough? You have to go with Spano or a walk-on, and I dont think that is likely to happen so I will stay with Lee/Green. I think NU will (if he is as good as advertised) build the team's future around Green.

I agree with your last statement carlfense. Just because others around the country have started as freshmen, doesn't mean we should do the same. And I also think that some fans are underestimating just how complex this SpreadCoast system is. And when you've been in the top 15 in offense, why the hell would you want to dumb things down when you have guys capable of running the system the way it is?

In the case of OSU, they had a mediocre QB in Bockman (sp) to begin with, and a very simple offense that they ran with Pryor. Besides, part of me believes that Pryor was promised early playing time to get him to sign. Because as good as he looked at times, there where some games where he was terrible doing anything other than scrambling. Is that really what we want for our Huskers?

But from what I have heard from "so called experts" is that Lee doesnt get all of the offense either, granted Lee has had more time, but what if neither one of them gets it enough? You have to go with Spano or a walk-on, and I dont think that is likely to happen so I will stay with Lee/Green. I think NU will (if he is as good as advertised) build the team's future around Green.

Our team is in sorry shape if we are talking about "buidling the team's future" around an entirely unproven true freshman.

Hype and hope doesn't win football games.

this is what i like to see....

CCSF 34, Frenso City College 31

San Francisco Chronicle, Sunday, September 17, 2006.

"City College (3-0) Spotted Fresno a 21-0 lead in the second quarter, but mounted a furious comeback led by quarterback, Zach Ledd. Lee was 31 for 48 passing for 465 yards and four touchdown. He also ran for a touchdown. Durell Clark-James intercepted a Fresno pass with 33 seconds left to seal the win."

I personally would love to see him RS this season, then give him playing time in 2010 to get experience. Then hand him the reigns for three years.

My biggest thing is just wanting to see a starting QB the same for 3 years, its been a LONG time since we have had that. I think that just helps consistency of the program.

People like Green because they have no reason not to, at this point. All we know about him are his dominate h.s. numbers and the praise everyone that has ever been around him has said. By now we are used to Lee, and IMO Spano doesn't get the hype, because he came in at the same time as Pelini, so there was a lot more to talk about. Also, We still had Ganz, so there wasn't much of a QB controversy to talk about Spano with. Those two things make Green more hyped up - we have less to talk about since the coaches and schemes are in place and we will have a competition for quarterback. Add in the fact that he is new, with no known negatives, and the hype ran like wild fire about him.

What if we bring in Blake Bell next year, or some other incredibly touted recruit? Will the talk about Green be forgotten for the new guy? I think that is all this is.

Green will be the best he can be, I have no doubt about that from what he did in HS and what his coaches said about him. beyond that no one knows anything.

Why I want Cody Green to start.

By: newearthhusker

I want Cody Green to start so I can see what all the fuss is about. I want Cody Green to start because some have said he can walk on water and I want to see if he can. I want Cody Green to start to see how long it takes the out spoken talking heads to call for Zac Lee to play. I want Cody Green to start because he wore #7 in High School just like John Elway. I want Cody Green to start so the guy that bought a #17 jersey for Dan Hadenfeldt, Garth Glissman or Todd Peterson can claim it is now a Cody Green jersey. I want Cody Green to start so he can re-write the record books by playing all 4 years. I want Cody Green to start so when the PA guy says “Green for the Big Red” I will be reminded of Christmas. But most of all I want Cody Green to start just because.

The End

*Disclaimer: Not all the views expressed in this post are shared with or directly related to anything newearthhusker believes, stand for, or has stated in the past.

People like Green because they have no reason not to, at this point. All we know about him are his dominate h.s. numbers and the praise everyone that has ever been around him has said. By now we are used to Lee, and IMO Spano doesn't get the hype, because he came in at the same time as Pelini, so there was a lot more to talk about. Also, We still had Ganz, so there wasn't much of a QB controversy to talk about Spano with. Those two things make Green more hyped up - we have less to talk about since the coaches and schemes are in place and we will have a competition for quarterback. Add in the fact that he is new, with no known negatives, and the hype ran like wild fire about him.

What if we bring in Blake Bell next year, or some other incredibly touted recruit? Will the talk about Green be forgotten for the new guy? I think that is all this is.

Green will be the best he can be, I have no doubt about that from what he did in HS and what his coaches said about him. beyond that no one knows anything.

To expand on this, people always want the "next" guy. Fans always believe the next guy will be much better, and when he comes in and is just "average" then they move onto thinking about the next guy after him. It's a never ending cycle.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I want him to start because that would mean he is that good of a player. But that could go for Martinez as well or any other QB on the roster...it just means more when they are freshman. If they can start coming in it just means they are REALLY good (or our other guys are really bad, which I don't think is the case). Not sure if it makes sense or not. I want the best player starting whether it is Green or Lee, but IMO if Green is the better player it just means he is that special of a player which is what I am hoping for which is why I would want him to start.