Ekeler staying put

SwiftFan87

Linebackers coach Mike Ekeler spoke on the Husker Sports Network's "Sports Nightly" show Thursday night about his weekend interview with South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt.

"First of all, when Coach Leavitt called Bo and talked about it, I told Bo point blank ... 'If you don't want me to go interview I won't,'" Ekeler said on the show.

But Ekeler said Pelini told him the interview would be a great experience and he should do it. Ekeler had hoped no one would find out, but the newspapers in that area soon reported he had interviewed, the Tampa Tribune eventually reporting that he had turned down an offer to be the Bulls' defensive coordinator.

Ekeler said both he and Leavitt agreed it wasn't the right fit at this point.

"I got a great job, an unbelievable job that people work their whole lives to have an opportunity to have," Ekeler said. "He's interviewing me but I'm interviewing him as well. It'd have to be a perfect situation for both him and me. It's got to be a perfect fit for both sides."

Ekeler praised Pelini for his encouragement during the process.

"That's what he does for everyone, he's always done it," Ekeler said. "He's trying to look out for everyone else. Obviously he's looking out for our program, but he wants to elevate people and have them see great opportunties. And that's why people appreciate working for him."

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

I think Eck did the smart thing. He has a unique opportunity to continue learning and coaching under one of the best defensive minds in the nation, and hopefully raise his stock if the program continues to rise. It only makes sense to use this chance to further himself and the program, and perhaps the day will come where he won't need to choose another school for a DC spot.